Prev Next
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome race today.

He did slightly better than me.

Damn that bike was tough.

But beautiful race.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Link anyone?? Edit...seems im a bit late to the party...Gomez wins, only by 17secs though!

I'm moderately shocked that Braden Currie came within 17 sec of Gomez; perhaps he is an upcoming star??? I'm sure he's more well known in NZ but he's not exactly a "household name" elsewhere. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Link anyone?? Edit...seems im a bit late to the party...Gomez wins, only by 17secs though!

I'm moderately shocked that Braden Currie came within 17 sec of Gomez; perhaps he is an upcoming star??? I'm sure he's more well known in NZ but he's not exactly a "household name" elsewhere. :)

I have no insight into this and am purely speculating but surley theres a reason, either Gomez had issues (not fitness im guessing) or he took it easy and just cruised in making sure he got over the line first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Anything other than a course record will be unacceptable!

Twenty minutes... How tough is this course?! 3:57, Annabelle Luxford runs a 1:24,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:

I have no insight into this and am purely speculating but surley theres a reason, either Gomez had issues (not fitness im guessing) or he took it easy and just cruised in making sure he got over the line first.

In his post-race interview, Gomez said he had to go all out to win, and there was no mention in the race recap of him having a flat or mechanical. Maybe Currie had his best day ever, and/or he is a rising star??? We need to hear from some local New Zealanders. I think SalmonSteve lives in NZ and his wife is a retired pro triathlete so he prob knows Currie, or someone close to Currie.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who don’t know Braden Currie, he was leading Kona for a while last year but then got a flat. He is legit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:

In his post-race interview, Gomez said he had to go all out to win, and there was no mention in the race recap of him having a flat or mechanical. Maybe Currie had his best day ever, and/or he is a rising star??? We need to hear from some local New Zealanders. I think SalmonSteve lives in NZ and his wife is a retired pro triathlete so he prob knows Currie, or someone close to Currie.

Fwiw, Braden Currie is very much a household name among professionals. Not a huge surprise, very talented guy.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Fwiw, Braden Currie is very much a household name among professionals. Not a huge surprise, very talented guy.

Not wanting to take anything away from Currie, but you have to ask how peak fitness between him and Gomez?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
For those who don’t know Braden Currie, he was leading Kona for a while last year but then got a flat. He is legit.

I looked him up in the results and he finished in 8:50. Any idea how much time he lost with the flat???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of what Gomez has planned this year.

What we know for definite 70.3 worlds and Kona? Where would his fitness be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
In terms of what Gomez has planned this year. What we know for definite 70.3 worlds and Kona? Where would his fitness be?

I really could not say; I'll let someone else take a stab at your question, which is an interesting one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:
In terms of what Gomez has planned this year. What we know for definite 70.3 worlds and Kona? Where would his fitness be?

I really could not say; I'll let someone else take a stab at your question, which is an interesting one.

Probably no where near peak, be an interesting year for Gomez with no ITU (unless im missing something and he does have an ITU race planned?)

Less traveling/less racing wonder how he copes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said he wasn’t in great shape and that he like kienle usually increase fitness throughout the year.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Braden is super talented. Has won Xterra NZ a few times from memory, won IMNZ last year, was unlucky in his first trip to Kona with a couple of flats I seem to recall.

He has also won Coast to Coast a couple of times so definitely has the endurance to compete at the top level. Seems his swim is coming on as well as that was a little bit of a weakness.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Braden is super talented. Has won Xterra NZ a few times from memory, won IMNZ last year, was unlucky in his first trip to Kona with a couple of flats I seem to recall.
He has also won Coast to Coast a couple of times so definitely has the endurance to compete at the top level. Seems his swim is coming on as well as that was a little bit of a weakness.

BD - Thanks for these insights, i'd say his swim is doing great since he went 48:32 at Kona last yr and 23:30 at this Wanaka race. In fact, had you not said that, i would have never suspected his swim was a weakness at all. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His swim was a weakness when he had a crack at ITU, don't seem to remember it being a weakness in any long course race he has done.

Looking at the pros doing IMNZ, don't really see any of them beating Curry unless something happens to him during the race. Terenzo is a bit unreliable in NZ, Cam's swim not good enough. Cyril Viennot might be the only other guy to watch at this stage.
Last edited by: andy12: Feb 18, 18 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't know Braden, but as someone else has said he is well known in NZ. To say any triathlete is a house-hold name in NZ is a stretch, but I would agree he is very well known in triathlon and multi-sport communities.

Javier did what he needed to do to win. In February. I think that's about all we can take away from the result.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

I don't know Braden, but as someone else has said he is well known in NZ. To say any triathlete is a household name in NZ is a stretch, but I would agree he is very well known in triathlon and multi-sport communities.
Javier did what he needed to do to win. In February. I think that's about all we can take away from the result.

Thanks Steve!!! That's kind of what i meant, well known in the triathlon/multi-sport community.

Quote Reply

Prev Next