Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone here on road bike w/ SRAM 1X riding hills and happy? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
drm437 wrote:

In short: Is it possible to come up with a one use fits all combo for a biker/triahlete like me who lands between 3.5 to 4 w/kg FTP depending on how heavy I am at that point (high 160s-180)

For me I have come up with two combos. An 11-25 for flatter courses, and a 11-32 for hilly courses including Wildflower, Wisconsin, and Mont Trem. This is paired with a 54t. I can say I have no shifting issues and I even have weak chain tension with an after market system but then again I am only use a 32. I have gotten away with the stock DI2 derailleur. But yes, you need to find gearing that works for you. The two different cassettes means I have two bags of chains as well for the different sizes.

Thanks!

I'm really going to have to put in a concerted effort to become more of a gearhead as I can't keep relying on my mechanic!

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here on road bike w/ SRAM 1X riding hills and happy? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Ultimately, is 1X overall faster on hilly and mountainous courses, to me, that's the million dollar question.

Serious question(s) for you.

Yes. Inside it at St. George in 2015 ad my first 1x trial and will never go back. Every time Brent McMahon shifted his front derailleur I gained a bike length.

I went back to 2x for a season to take advantage of etap, then opted for 1x again in 2017. I much prefer it on all courses but especially hilly courses where you would otherwise do lots of front shifting. On flat courses there's a chance you will find yourself gear searching when you just really want to be in the 16 cog, but that happens far less than I expected, especially if you're willing to switch cassettes based on the course.

I ride a 54T with 11-36. That the same low gear ratio as a 39-26, so I actually have a bigger range than when I was racing 53/39 11-25. If you are currently using a 34 ring with a 34t COG, then you'll need the 10-42 with a 42t ring to match that low gear. That's going to be a similar high gear as well, and you will lose very little in between. If you can't go with a 10 (needs a different freehub) then you'll be losing high end.

Ben Collins
Amateur Swimmer, Amateur Cyclist, Amateur Runner...
...Professional Triathlete.
It's not the length that matters, but what you do with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here on road bike w/ SRAM 1X riding hills and happy? [triBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info, thanks.

Got a photo of your bike or, more accurately, a photo of your current drivetrain? It would be interesting to see. What current RD are you running. Thanks.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 7, 18 8:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next