Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sound deadening/dampening panels.
Quote | Reply
I have a few large open rooms in my house with tile floors. I have added rugs and some (not much) furniture. The echo/reverberation is killing me.

I have been poking around online and have seen several options for wall hung panels. Does anyone here have experience with these? Hopefully it is obvious that I am not looking to hang eggcrate or similar. What I am referring to looks like a blank canvass essentially.

Any constructive thoughts?

Many thanks.

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Reach high, think big, work hard, have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Sound deadening/dampening panels. [Number2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sound deadening and sound dampening are two different things. Sound transfer vs. sound reflection

To stop transfer, you need mass.

To stop reflection, you need something to absorb the reflections.

To absorb reflections, your talking about panels placed at the right locations that absorb the initial and subsequent reflections.

There are off the shelf options, or you can make them out of a frame with insulation infill - preferably mineral wool. Cover this with a acoustically transparent fabric - I usually spec GOM fabrics, but there are others. Placement can either be trial and error or you can figure out the math based on the source.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post links. But yes, what you want to do should help. Space them off the wall if you can. The other option, is to drape some from the ceiling. (if you can add some absoprtion behind them even better)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Sound deadening/dampening panels. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are paintable.
https://www.homedepot.com/...2632-_-205212648-_-N

Premade panels
https://www.acoustimac.com/wall-packs

Last edited by: Number2: Feb 3, 18 20:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Acoustimac have their test results which look good, I am sure the HD ones would also work. Advantage there you can buy them try them, and return them if your not happy.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
some (not much) furniture

More furniture and stuff. It all helps.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Sound deadening/dampening panels. [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was at a restaurant Friday night. They had an eggcrate type material stapled or glued to the underside of all the tables. I'm assuming it was for dampening. Wonder if that would work under our dining room table to deaden some noise. Have the same problem in our 1st floor. Open floor plan, hard wood floors. Don't think the wife would go for the sound dampening panels on the wall
Quote Reply
Re: Sound deadening/dampening panels. [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She may go for something like this.

https://www.acoustimac.com/...cousticart-custom-1/

Quote Reply