Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Woodlands relocation
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone. I have a job offer to relocate to The Woodlands Texas from northern Ohio. I am hoping to see if anyone can share their thoughts/opinions of the area...

About me (for a reference of things Iā€™m interested in, and if Iā€™d enjoy the area), first of all I hate the cold, and would be very happy in a warm climate, so Iā€™m not concerned with the heat. Iā€™m very active in triathlon (of course) and would be happy if there was a good area with easy access for riding/running. Iā€™m not rich, yet not poor, how are the living expenses? I very much enjoy being outdoors, hiking/trail running... Iā€™m 35, so Iā€™m not concerned about nightlife too much.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: The Woodlands relocation [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived in The Woodlands many years ago and loved it. From a Tri perspective you have everything you need. 100 miles of paved trails, lots of pools, gyms, year round out door training. Lakes close by for open water swimming. Keep in mind there is a lot of traffic so unless you ride early in the morning you have to navigate it to get out in the country. But the summer will be boiling hot. A lot of good races within a hour drive including your very own IM race in town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When i was in grad school at Texas A&M--just up the road--the wife and I did several Tris down there. Great venue for running and riding; good roads; lots of great pools and masters swim programs. I really miss riding on TX roads versus what i put up with here in rural GA. You want warm you're gonna get warm--and humid. I did Houston Marathon twice and fondly recall running in just shorts and singlet well into NOV training for that race. COL is not super high and lots of good shopping down in Houston. There are GREAT used book stores in Houston. Or. at least. there used to be

Houston area in general is boom or bust depending on state of energy economy. When energy is bust all the rolex's show up in pawn shops and huge bro trucks at used car lots. Currently energy is good so things are a little pricey.

best of luck

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Houston isn't so much hot as it is humid. Heat indices in the triple digits basically from late June to mid-september. Expect to sweat 3 to 6 lb an hour in the middle of summer on a ride or run, and decide if you want 10% humidity and 76 degrees at 6 AM or lower humidity and low 90sinthe afternoon. Either way you slice it, summer sucks.

Cost wise, Houston has certainly gotten more expensive in the last decade, though housing is still cheaper than many metropolitan regions.

I have lived in the Houston area for nearly 30 years, and even when I retire we will likely stay put. The combination of world class arts, a great food scene, good weather most of the year, access to a major international airport, and moderate cost of living puts this area higher than other cities that have similar aspects (those other cities lose out on cost of living).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your job going to be in the Woodlands or will you be commuting elsewhere, ie into Houston?
Areas that say they are a 15-20 minute drive from downtown Houston are talking about at 2:00am on a Tuesday. IH45 during the morning and evening commute (which is 6:30-9:00 and 3:30-7:30) is horrible.
The Woodlands proper is more expensive than the surrounding areas - has a bit of the Stepford Wives feel to it - but that is not uncommon within all the master planned communities around Houston.
The area has pretty much anything you want (except hills/mountains) and is geographically situated that you have great access to lakes, the ocean, hill country, international travel, the arts, sports etc all at your doorstep. You will just need to recalibrate your idea of close by - nothing is really close in Houston and distance is a poor indicator of how long it may take to get somewhere.
Iā€™ve been living in Sugar Land (southwest side of Houston) for 15 years and would move to the Woodlands except my wife works at NASA and is not about to accept that commute.
Quote Reply
Re: The Woodlands relocation [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!

The job is right in The Woodlands on Lake Robbin next to the mall...

I donā€™t mind a small 15/20 minute drive, but I would hate life if I had to deal with that I45 nightmare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exxon has built a huge campus there. Relocating their corporate headquarters there. It has impacted the housing market and the already overburdened roads. So your options will be challenging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ll be the voice of dissent. The Woodlands has no soul. Is there a single restaurant there that isnā€™t a chain? The waterway is a teenage hangout and the last time I was there I saw exactly one black person.

Cost of living is good, tri scene great, schools adequate to above average. And the Cynthia Woods has some great concerts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the bubble. I have lived here since 2001. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions and I am happy to give you my email and phone number if I can help. Personally, I am a big fan of living here, my kids are growing up in the community, met some of my best friends through tri and cycling rides, and since I travel quite frequently it is close to IAH.

The tri scene here is very strong and something for everyone. If you are working off Lake Robbins you can basically run the IM Texas run course if you are so inclined, or jump on your SUP or in your kayak and head out for an early morning or post work paddle. Now, in the summer you will need to get used to the heat but mostly the humidity. It was not great but I frequently would run 3-5 miles at lunch year round. There are tons of paved running trails, a nice forest preserve with dirt trails. There are no hills or mountains.

There are large groups of cyclist that head out the "back" of The Woodlands every weekend. You won't have any trouble finding someone that is at your ability. Once you get about 10 miles north the roads get quieter if you know the right routes.

There are a couple of great swim groups if that is your thing that I can recommend.

AJThomas comment around the majority of restaurants being chains in The Woodlands is valid. We call in the bubble for that reason as it was one of the first planned communities in the country. Not sure if that is your thing but if you like craft beers and local BBQ then within a short drive are some great finds. There are some locally owned places as well.

Hope that helps.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: The Woodlands relocation [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the info. When the time comes I will be sure to contact you. I searched for apartments in the ā€œbubbleā€ and they are quite pricey, but like someone mentioned the Exxon campus is driving housing up. I have some time before deciding and will keep looking.
Quote Reply