Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about a nature documentary - animals mating
Quote | Reply
I've seen something in several nature documentaries that confuses me. I'm watching one now about India. It says that a male tiger will kill a young cub from a female tiger if the offspring is not his own. I've seen the same thing on lions and polar bears.

How do they know that the offspring is theirs?
Quote Reply
Re: Question about a nature documentary - animals mating [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand? How do you tell which kid is yours? How do you tell which dog at the park is yours?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Question about a nature documentary - animals mating [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Maury's help:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grizzly bears do that too.

I assume they check birth certificates? Sorry, I don't know how they tell, or whether they can tell, which cubs are their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about a nature documentary - animals mating [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iO4 wrote:
I don't understand? How do you tell which kid is yours? How do you tell which dog at the park is yours?

Seriously?

I can tell which kid is mine because I was there when he was born and all along the way. Male lions, tiger and bears don't stay around to help nurture their offspring.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about a nature documentary - animals mating [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the genesis of the question is addressing risky behavior (unprotected, multiple partners, one night stands, etc) in adolescent mammals, not necessarily between species.

I take my kids to the dog park all the time, even take them off the leash to chase birds...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is scent, a male lion or tiger can tell the difference between his offspring and another cats offspring.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about a nature documentary - animals mating [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the animals are birthers.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
How do they know that the offspring is theirs?

That's apparently something of an open question. As I alluded in my last post, it's not clear that they in fact know the offspring is theirs.

Google found a paper on grizzlies that has some good info:
https://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin/tpl/Downloads/URSUS/Vol_16_2/McLellan_Vol16_2.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you aren't the alpha lion in your territory with your ladies, it's probably not your kid.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply