Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Frankfurt 2018
Quote | Reply
Anyone else signed up for this?

I'm registered and have a quick question, is a medical certificate required at registration? I seem to vaguely recall something along those lines when I signed up last year, but now I can't find any mention of it on the website. They do mention a "waiver" and a day-race registration fee, so maybe I'm getting it confused with one of those?

It's just that I'm visiting my doctor this week to have one signed off for the Paris Marathon so I figured it'd be easier to do them both at once if it's required. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Frankfurt 2018 [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I did the race ten years ago in 2008. I remember something about a medical certificate on the website. I do not remember them asking for one.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced it last year as well, no medical certificate needed :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They might be asking you if you are ready to ride 115m (185km) instead of 112, but that's it ;-) You probably need to sign a waiver, but you definitively do not need to present a certificate.

But they announced just yesterday that the bike course needs to take a reroute due to road construction. The course will be longer with a small extra climb. Not in my favor, would have preferred a shorter course, just as last year, but well, you get more for your money ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Frankfurt 2018 [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I saw that email yesterday.

It's annoying for me as well, I'm just racing against myself and the clock so would prefer a shorter course; an extra 5 km isn't going to kill me but it might add on another 10 mins if it's hilly.

I seem to recall that they've had "unalterable" roadworks for about the last 3 or 4 years now, around Friedberg previously but seemingly now in Karben?

Seems like the local government DGAF about Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I have never liked the section from Karben towards Friedberg, so maybe something new will reduce my reluctance for that part of the course ;-) Just need to set the goals right and remind you-/myself even more not to burn any unnecessary matches. I went through the same exercise of redefining time goal already once in 2010 (also 185km) and it worked out well.

Regarding local governments: Road constructions are financed by the local communities and they spend the money when they have it. A small community like Karben does not see much publicity or other positive effect from IM other than road closure, so it might be difficult for the organizers to make sure all construction sites are cleared prior to the race. And in all fairness, this is certainly a different situation compared to e.g. Roth. There is not much going on in/around Roth throughout the year except Challenge Roth, or at least it stands out as a highlight. So all communities support that as much as they can. Having such a race being hosted in a very busy major city like Frankfurt is a different game...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
Yeah, I saw that email yesterday.

It's annoying for me as well, I'm just racing against myself and the clock so would prefer a shorter course; an extra 5 km isn't going to kill me but it might add on another 10 mins if it's hilly.

I seem to recall that they've had "unalterable" roadworks for about the last 3 or 4 years now, around Friedberg previously but seemingly now in Karben?

Just to defend Karben (5 mins up the road from me), they've recently spent €5 million refurbishing their indoor/outdoor swimming pool, which is a great little facility for the community.

One could argue that this was a more urgent/relevant/useful spend than a few road closures which might add some time on to a day out for a load of dentists in July.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Frankfurt 2018 [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, perhaps that was a poor choice of words by me, because I didn't mean that as a dig at the local government. It's often debated how much "value" the local communities see out of a race being held there*, especially for those outside of the main area where the race is being held, I can totally understand if the race isn't exactly seen as a top-priority : )

My annoyance was more directed at Ironman/WTC whose email tries to present this as a one-off, exceptional situation, when in reality the same thing has happened (albeit possibly in slightly different locations) for several years now...

* On a similar but unrelated note, I noticed on Twitter yesterday that the organising committee for the Bergen UCI WCs last year has officially declared bankruptcy this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough - hope you have a great race on the day, and a good time in Frankfurt.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:

Badly needed upgrades for thousands of road users every day vs 2000 athletes from a niche sport for one day a year.

But IM athletes are so important, aren't we.

I think the local Government have helped out a lot - they've allowed a rerouting of the course to help out. What more do you expect?

The changes do add some climbing though, looking at a German Forum they say it will be near 1900m total (about 6000ft)

Post #72 below
http://www.triathlon-szene.de/forum/showthread.php?t=42344&page=9

There are quite a few options to shorten the course a bit, though, so maybe there will be some changes before the race.
Last edited by: bluefever: Mar 13, 18 3:20
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Frankfurt 2018 [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
awenborn wrote:

Badly needed upgrades for thousands of road users every day vs 2000 athletes from a niche sport for one day a year.

But IM athletes are so important, aren't we.

Again, my annoyance is not so much at the local government, but moreso at Ironman for (1) actively assuring athletes that the course would be returning to the original published route when entries opened only to be told subsequently that it won't be (2) not working sufficiently with local governments and/or making it sufficiently worthwhile for them, to be able to deliver on the route that they originally promised.

I'm not even that annoyed about it; I know that routes are subject to change and that stated distances are seen as flexible in triathlon but I just expected more from Ironman given that they're supposed to be a premium brand and in particular point (1) mentioned above.

I'm still waiting to hear what nutrition products they're going to have on course now that they've ditched Powerbar. Anyone have any idea?
Quote Reply