Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st Time Freestyler Paddles: How to use them to Get Better?
Quote | Reply
I have been swimming since May, around 5500-7000 yards per week. I bought my 1st set of hand paddles last week. They are freestyler style paddles.

Using them, I am like a convulsing flopping fish. Im all over the place. So much convulsing going on I turned the lap pool into a wave pool.

So my stoke is bad... How do I use these paddles to get better? I am asking about how to structure the drills/workouts so that I can take what I learn from the paddles and apply it to swimming without the paddles. It seems like switching back and forth, when I go back to the paddles I am just as bad.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Time Freestyler Paddles: How to use them to Get Better? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The finis ones? that look like a triangle with the little skeg on the bottom?

If you are new to swimming and don't already have a pretty good stroke, I wouldn't use those. put them away and, if you really want paddles, pick up a pair of Finis Agility paddles. They'll be much easier for you to handle and will also get you doing the most important things correctly.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Time Freestyler Paddles: How to use them to Get Better? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Finis ones are the ones I got. They were supposed to be easier on the shoulders and I have two bad shoulders.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Time Freestyler Paddles: How to use them to Get Better? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have bad shoulders, I'd avoid using ANY paddles. paddles + bad shoulders = worse shoulders, in my experience...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: 1st Time Freestyler Paddles: How to use them to Get Better? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m a MOP swimmer at best, but I agree with Jason that the Finis Agility paddles are the way to go. I’ve used both and find that the agility are a bit easier to use (and not overuse). I like that they teach good hand position/angle on the entry and pull as they’ll fall off if you’re holding them incorrectly (unless you cheat and pinch your thump and forefinger together).

As for use. I typically use panels for 5-10% of my total yardage (same goes for kicking). Though I have no basis for this advice beyond my own meandering experience

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Jan 30, 18 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditch the paddles and get a snorkel. Learn how to swim correctly without having to move your head to breath then learn how to add in the breathing. You can also see what your arms are doing better. Also use a buoy and ankle strap while using the snorkel to give you a better feel for if you’re keeping your body straight or if you’re fish tailing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this isn't so much the paddles, as the swimmer. I've got bad shoulders but swim just fine with paddles because they give me the extra feel I need to swim properly.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
If you have bad shoulders, I'd avoid using ANY paddles. paddles + bad shoulders = worse shoulders, in my experience...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Time Freestyler Paddles: How to use them to Get Better? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that makes you the only guy I've seen like that, usually it's not a good combo, especially not for someone in the OP's situation (bad shoulders, inexperienced, probably not great technique, looking specifically for a paddle that's easier on shoulders)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
true. I just want people to know it's not the paddles, it's the person, and that paddles are for extra feel, which might alleviate the problem.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
Well, that makes you the only guy I've seen like that, usually it's not a good combo, especially not for someone in the OP's situation (bad shoulders, inexperienced, probably not great technique, looking specifically for a paddle that's easier on shoulders)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pull buoys - good.
Snorkels - good.
Kick boards - good.
Fins - good.
Paddles - meh.

For beginners especially, I would avoid paddles.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Time Freestyler Paddles: How to use them to Get Better? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I have a snorkel. I used it in the beginning when I couldn't swim or breathe but quit using it when I was able to breathe.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Time Freestyler Paddles: How to use them to Get Better? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.triathlete.com/...board-paddles_114179

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply