Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alice decimated what little ego I had left tonight
Quote | Reply
The TrainerRoad workout Alice, that is. After 30 or so minutes of warmup, clearing efforts and several minutes of 60% of FTP comes the main event -- 3 min @110%; 3 min @50%; 3 min @120%; 3 min @50%; 3 min @130%; 6 min @ 60%; 3 min@130%; 3 min @50%; 3 min @120%; 3 min @50%; 3 min @110%; and then the rest of the 90 minutes mostly @60%.

I gutted my way all the way through the 2nd 130%, but failed a minute or so into the second 120%. I back-pedaled for a minute or so and then got through the rest of the 120% -- but then I got a cramp in my right calf during the last 110% -- tried back pedaling again but when I started back up it came back even worse. I got off the bike and did stretches and then was able to finish the the workout.

I had never failed a TrainerRoad workout before and thought I could gut through anything thrown at me appropriate to my FTP. But in week eleven of my base training I met my Waterloo.

Although this post is probably begging for mockery and derision (or to be ignored), kind words would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Alice decimated what little ego I had left tonight [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think each of the various canned virtual training programs (TR, Zwift, The Sufferfest, etc) have one or more workouts that are just 'way out there'. Basically they are workouts where if you can do them, at 100% of the programmed load, it's probably time to retest your FTP.

Zwift has the McCarthy Special, the Gorby, and the Wringer. I haven't been able to ride any of those to completion at 100% since Zwift upped my FTP based on a particularly good virtual race about four weeks ago.

The Sufferfest has a number of them, whose names escape me but I'm sure i'll be re-acquainted with all of them by the end of next week...

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Alice decimated what little ego I had left tonight [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 @OP - I think there is also your profile as a rider to consider - personally, I'm weak at explosive power, but ok with the SS / FTP work. Often on workouts I fail at VO2 max and sprints, but long SS stuff seems quite normal.

I know people (usually roadies, who group race rather than TT) who are the opposite.

I think this is a big factor in what workouts are hard / easy (well, on TR very few are easy :))

Big Endian wrote:
I think each of the various canned virtual training programs (TR, Zwift, The Sufferfest, etc) have one or more workouts that are just 'way out there'. Basically they are workouts where if you can do them, at 100% of the programmed load, it's probably time to retest your FTP.

I've tried all three of the apps you mention, in my experience the Trainerroad is way ahead of the others - it's 'canned' like you say, but the training plans and the individual workouts themselves are extremely well designed, and clearly a huge amount of time/thought has gone into the design.

The other two just seem random throwing together of intervals.
Last edited by: bluefever: Jan 29, 18 21:54
Quote Reply
Re: Alice decimated what little ego I had left tonight [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sufferfest has Hell Hath No Fury.
Quote Reply
Re: Alice decimated what little ego I had left tonight [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the OP meant Alice Hector, who decimated many a man's ego last Friday. A 1:18 half-marathon on her way to a top-10 overall finish at the Israman.

Sufferfest's Hell Hath No Fury is probably the single hardest workout I do regularly. A real soul-crusher...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Alice decimated what little ego I had left tonight [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long time TR user, just checked my ride history and I did this some while ago and manged to complete as required.

Been commented on here before, and if you're first and foremost a triathlete, that the VO2 max intervals are very hard.

I've often thought I couldn't do some of the more intense rides/intervals but found that sometimes you have to absolutely bury yourself, far beyond what you think you are capable of, and it can be done.

If you mainly do long course training, these type of intervals come as a shock.

What I'm basically saying is that you need to HTFU!
Quote Reply
Re: Alice decimated what little ego I had left tonight [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
.....What I'm basically saying is that you need to HTFU!
Of course there's another possibility, depending on how the two of you have determined your FTP figures.
Maybe you wimped out on your FTP test and the reason you're able to complete it is that you didn't HTFU on an FTP test.
Alternatively - perhaps his FTP figure is too high and it would be virtually impossible to HTFU to the point of completing the workout.

I've done some sessions where unwillingness to suffer was not the limiting factor, my legs simply started refusing to respond no matter how insistent I was that they hold the power. There are physiological limits you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
The TrainerRoad workout Alice, that is. After 30 or so minutes of warmup, clearing efforts and several minutes of 60% of FTP comes the main event -- 3 min @110%; 3 min @50%; 3 min @120%; 3 min @50%; 3 min @130%; 6 min @ 60%; 3 min@130%; 3 min @50%; 3 min @120%; 3 min @50%; 3 min @110%; and then the rest of the 90 minutes mostly @60%.

I gutted my way all the way through the 2nd 130%, but failed a minute or so into the second 120%. I back-pedaled for a minute or so and then got through the rest of the 120% -- but then I got a cramp in my right calf during the last 110% -- tried back pedaling again but when I started back up it came back even worse. I got off the bike and did stretches and then was able to finish the the workout.

I had never failed a TrainerRoad workout before and thought I could gut through anything thrown at me appropriate to my FTP. But in week eleven of my base training I met my Waterloo.

Although this post is probably begging for mockery and derision (or to be ignored), kind words would be appreciated.

Hey Hugo!

My name is Bryce and I work for TrainerRoad.

I just figured I'd chime in and let you know that failing a workout is nothing to be ashamed of :) Especially when that workout is Alice.... 130% intervals for 3 minutes are astoundingly difficult and are meant to push you to your absolute max. Having spoken with the TrainerRaod Coaches on this subject, they suggest that if you are never failing a workout, that you FTP is probably set too low. The training plans should be very hard and they should push you to your absolute physical limit. And if Alice was the only workout that you failed in 11 weeks of training, I would consider that a huge success.

In general, we have a few tips when it comes to workouts that are destroying you.

1. First, as Nate always reminds me, Rule #5
2. If hardening up doesn't do the trick, then try reducing the workout intensity by 5%
3. If you still cannot handle the stress, go ahead and take brief 10 second breaks during the intervals. This can help you recover just enough to get through it
4. And if none of this works, then we recommend abandoning the workout.

Good luck with the rest of your training!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as i understood.. the above FTP zones are less predictable and aren't meant to be used as prescriptive workouts. It could be that the 130% workouts will work just fine for the one person but the same adaptation will be achieved for the other person at 120%. The vo2max workouts on TR are just a bit too much for me. I always dial them down by 5% so I can also complete the last workload during the intervals (without passing out and/or puking).

But i'm not an expert. So I might misinterpreted some of the information I've read here on ST.
Quote Reply
Re: Alice decimated what little ego I had left tonight [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, dumb question (I know -- there are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions) -- is there any way to adjust the intensityon my MAC PRO mid-workout. When I am dry, I use the track pad to move my cursor (no mouse). This will not work with wet hands. It would be great if I could just do something like hitting the up or down arrow on the keyboard. Is there anything that simple?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
OK, dumb question (I know -- there are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions) -- is there any way to adjust the intensityon my MAC PRO mid-workout. When I am dry, I use the track pad to move my cursor (no mouse). This will not work with wet hands. It would be great if I could just do something like hitting the up or down arrow on the keyboard. Is there anything that simple?

Hey Hugo,

Sadly the keyboard shortcuts are not currently setup in the Mac Application :( This is something that we hope to add in the future but has been giving us trouble since re-designing the app a few years back. We are planning an overhaul of both desktop apps in the future, so this will likely get fixed at that time. And for those currently on Windows Devices, Arrow up/Arrow down should successfully alter your Intensity.

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply