Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gut issues: impact on training, competition. Suggestions?
Quote | Reply
Hello all

A bit of a shitty topic (figured I'd get the puns out of the way early) which has started impacting on not just training and competition, but also every day life. I'll try to spare the majority of the details.

Rewind to AUG 2016 when I visited family in Canada. 1st week we spent at a fresh water lake basking in the sun, skiing, etc 2nd week saw my stomach take a steep nose dive in to oblivion - figured it was my father in laws terrible coffee. Nothing outrageous.. just... the mornings werent as regular as they usually are. No longer a 1 and done kinda situation.

I came back to AUS and things got worse, again, nothing terrible but enough that I was certainly too afraid to go for long runs. I adjusted my diet and things improved for a bit until it plateaued and started going downwards again. Got on probiotics... worse... increased fiber in diet.. worse...

Fast forward to now and the list of items below are what I have covered:
- low FODMAP diet (minimal improvement)
- lactose and gluten free for a month (minimal improvement)
- course of antibiotics in case I had Beaver Fever / travelers stomach (no noticeable change)
- colonoscopy/gastroscopsy (all deemed normal)

Dr now says that I may have adult onset IBS, possibly triggered by something I picked up in the lake and made worse by self treating... So this could be my lot in life and its all about managing the symptoms / finding out the triggers.

Well fk me. That sucks.

So Im curious if there are any readers out there who suffer similar issues of varying degrees, and what you did to minimize impact on yourself and training? I really would hate to give up on any activity that takes me away from a convenient toilet stop and sadly, shitting on the bike just doesnt seem like its an option...
Quote Reply
Re: Gut issues: impact on training, competition. Suggestions? [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right there with you. My problems started after taking antibiotic clindamycin.

Like you I tried everything. There was some improvement at first. Going gluten free was like magic at first. Then symptoms returned. Probiotics were like magic for a while then became completely ineffective.

Did you have a c.Diff test? Mine came back negative 3 times. I suspect it is something like that, but a bacterial strain the science hasn't got a test for.

It's been just about 10 years now. It's not nearly as bad as it was first few years. So it will get better for you.

There is a permanent, easy, and cheap solution. But no doctor I could find wants to write this prescription. It is only used for incurable c.Diff infections:

https://www.openbiome.org/
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jan 28, 18 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: Gut issues: impact on training, competition. Suggestions? [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send a stool sample off and have your gut make up checked and for any parasites as you may have picked up something from the fresh water. I had issues and especially fatigue issues finding a parasite and my gut bacteria makeup was way off. Have tried herbal and now two courses of antibiotics now and need to send off a follow up sample as may still have dientamoeba fragilis but also trying to improve my gut flora makeup.

PS I'm Australian too so just go to your GP and ask for a parasite test and it all should be covered free on medicare too. A Gut flora test will cost you around $400 I organised through my nutritionist.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jan 28, 18 17:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally haven't experienced a lot of stomach issues during training/racing, but a couple things come to mind that I've picked up over the years of reading, listening to podcasts, etc.

1) I'm not attached to any particular nutritional dogma. However, from what I understand, the human body isn't really capable of digesting, processing, and USING FOR ENERGY the amount of carbohydrates that many athletes consume. This could explain some stomach issues that athletes experience during training/racing. This isn't a CURE by any means, but it might be worth tweaking your diet to become more comfortable training on fewer carbs, and training your body to use more fat for energy. It's a process that takes time to acclimate, but this nutritional change might be a little easier on your gut once you get used to it.

2) It's been a few years since I tried it, but a product called UCAN SuperStarch is supposed to provide carbohydrates that digest much more slowly during a race, and thus are easier to digest as well. Again, it's not a CURE, but it's a tweak that make things easier on your gut.

Best of luck.

TRIATHLON ART FOR YOUR PAIN CAVE: https://www.matthewmillerart.com/...art?category=Ironman
Quote Reply