Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is up with the NHL Allstar game?
Quote | Reply
I grew up playing hockey but for the past 20yrs or so really don't follow it.
Yes I'm old school went to Howie Meeker hockey camp in the summers and was a defenseman later moved up to center.
So I'm watch it the game and it is 3on3 ? Bobby Orr does not approve.
Quote Reply
Re: What is up with the NHL Allstar game? [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Yes I'm old school went to Howie Meeker hockey camp in the summers and was a defenseman later moved up to center.

Haven't watched Hockey in years. My guess, no one ever really played defense, so they figured lets just get rid of the defenseman.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: What is up with the NHL Allstar game? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well as I've had time to think about it this is simple Dumbing Down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a perfect example how they ruin sports by trying to please non-sport fans. Hockey has tried over and over to do that (remember the blue puck so non-hockey fans could figure out where it was). They try to do that with a lot of sports and inevitably make it worse because non-hockey fans aren't going to watch because they don't like hockey and they upset the real hockey fans who get tired of them tinkering with rules to appease those who don't like the sport.

It's a lose lose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other then the uniforms I don’t mind it. Outside of baseball all star games are a meaningless way to get athletes hurt if they actually play the game. Which they don’t and just try to put a show on. 5 on 5 was at best meh. Don’t love the current format but it’s not horrible. The players seem to really enjoy it.

I think Bobby Orr would approve.

Bigger question , why was it on at the same time as NFL all pro. Oh yea , that’s meaningless also.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its 3 on 3, then they also need to draw teams by all throwing their sticks at centre ice and having someone pick with their hat over their eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:

NHL Regular season overtime is now 5 minutes of 3 on 3 followed by a shootout
Quote Reply
Re: What is up with the NHL Allstar game? [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:

And it’s usually amazing. I wish it was 10 minutes 3 on 3 and get rid of the shootout. If it’s tied they tie.

That will never happen.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:

This is the 3rd year they've done this. And the winning team gets $1 million dollars, so they aren't just lounging around on the ice.
Skills day is just as fun. Bummed I had to cancel my trip this year and sell my ticket for the weekend. I've heard it was a great weekend, almost as good as when they had it here in Nashville.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is up with the NHL Allstar game? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
ChiTownJack wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:

And it’s usually amazing. I wish it was 10 minutes 3 on 3 and get rid of the shootout. If it’s tied they tie.

That will never happen.
Agreed, this is shinny between the best players in the world, televised. The AS game is meaningless in every sport, it's really there to celebrate the elite talent and have fun and I think 3v3 is a fantastic way to do that for hockey.

NHL AS games were already 10-8 shootouts before this change, what this did is open the ice up for the skaters to dominate, it just puts more emphasis on guys like McDavid and Kucherov and less on the more cerebral playmakers. I'm all for it, end of the day there aren't a ton of people watching these AS games anyway so might as well have fun with it and it really seems like the players enjoy it more.
Quote Reply