Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
...it’s in fact the complex requirements instated by the White House Military Office and the Air Force that require such a pricey job.

It's also not $24 million just to buy two new refrigerators. The units don't exist, and have the be engineered, built, tested, installed, etc on aircraft that also have to be secure against electronic and physical attack. It's not like they're dropping $24million on a trip to Home Depot to pick up a couple of fridges.

???

It's a replacement, surely Air Force One has existing refrigerators?

I have no opinion on the reasonability of the costs. Any time anything gets added to an aircraft things get very expensive very quickly.

It's not a direct replacement. It's an upgrade, designed to give the aircraft the ability to support longer periods of time between resupply. The idea is that the plane will not need to resupply in foreign countries during visits, because now it will have capacity to carry more refrigerated items for longer periods. The cost includes the engineering of the systems, the prototype development, installation, maintenance records, procedures, and manuals, required FAA testing, and required environmental impact studies for replacement of these particular systems on two of the "Air Force One" aircraft.

We represent a company that does fasteners. They are working on an aluminum 1/4" nut that has to hold 3500 lbs. They don't know what it will be used for or on. Such a nut does not currently exist. There will be thousands of these nuts used on military aircraft, that is all they know.

Down the road someone will want to know how that nut costs $30-$50 each. They have put 1000's of hours into research and testing on this "simple" little nut and had no idea if they could pull it off.

And frequently, these systems and the machining that builds them, have no other purpose and can't be used for anything else. Boeing isn't going to build these units, and the profit off of using the same things on their commercial travel fleet. They'll build them for Air Force One, and then might never build one again.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
And?

and what?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Still, there are some things that seem excessive...like the meals that are produced on AF1. I travel as much as the next guy for business and if I try to expense a $2.49 Cliff Bar purchased at the airport, I have to go through layers of approval. In contrast, from an article I read..."Air Force One has two galleys where up to 100 meals can be prepared at a time, according to ABC News. An ABC slide show captured an array of “incredible” dishes that have been served on board, from beef tenderloin and lasagna to kebabs and tiramisu. (The president can request pretty much anything, CBS News once reported, with a caveat that Air Force One french fries tend to be “a bit soggy” because of the lack of a fryer on the plane.)"

That seems unnecessary.

Without perks like this, how would we get the best a the brightest to run for office and to accept positions in the executive branch? Otherwise, we'd end up with people like............

Oh, never mind.

Will they cover up when the galley chef throws himself out the door after Trump orders his tenderloin well-done?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

And frequently, these systems and the machining that builds them, have no other purpose and can't be used for anything else. Boeing isn't going to build these units, and the profit off of using the same things on their commercial travel fleet. They'll build them for Air Force One, and then might never build one again.
-
Dan already said they sounded cool, and that was going to order a couple for the ranch.
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Still, there are some things that seem excessive...like the meals that are produced on AF1. I travel as much as the next guy for business and if I try to expense a $2.49 Cliff Bar purchased at the airport, I have to go through layers of approval. In contrast, from an article I read..."Air Force One has two galleys where up to 100 meals can be prepared at a time, according to ABC News. An ABC slide show captured an array of “incredible” dishes that have been served on board, from beef tenderloin and lasagna to kebabs and tiramisu. (The president can request pretty much anything, CBS News once reported, with a caveat that Air Force One french fries tend to be “a bit soggy” because of the lack of a fryer on the plane.)"

That seems unnecessary.

Without perks like this, how would we get the best a the brightest to run for office and to accept positions in the executive branch? Otherwise, we'd end up with people like............

Oh, never mind.

Will they cover up when the galley chef throws himself out the door after Trump orders his tenderloin well-done?

With ketchup? Or without?
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
DJRed wrote:

That seems unnecessary.

Oh, never mind.

I'd support impeachment for that particular crime against humanity.

Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

The problem with bidding on things like this is its a one time cost so they factor in the resources that are being used to build something they can never sell again. Let me put my best engineers on something I can never sell as part of my normal business? Not very good scalability so price goes through the roof.

Sure, but that's part of the contractor game. You're right, this type of one-off engineering isn't likely to produce much useful for Boeing. But Air Force One stuff tends to have very high visibility within Congress, the media (as we see now), and possibly even the President himself. It has the potential to impact the Boeing brand.

So when you're bidding you put your A-team of engineers with their very high label rates on the proposal. And you tell the Air Force, "It's expensive, but we're gonna knock it out of the park for you." Then once you get the contract you slide those A-team engineers off into an advisory role and back onto their real jobs on the next-gen 737 team or whatever, and put a team of journeyman engineers on there. Guys who are more than capable of designing a damn mil-spec mini-fridge. And the A-team just shows up to design reviews to make sure the journeymen aren't screwing it up. As long as the project is on schedule and budget, the government contract oversight team won't complain too much about how the proposed personnel mix doesn't exactly match what was bid. In fact in some contracts the contractor has no legal obligation to report exactly who worked each hour. You can just bill "Lead Engineer" hours.
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get it. He doesn't need to keep his beer cold as he doesn't drink, and I don't think KFC needs to be refrigerated. It makes the crust soggy. So why do they need this????
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
I don't get it. He doesn't need to keep his beer cold as he doesn't drink, and I don't think KFC needs to be refrigerated. It makes the crust soggy. So why do they need this????

For all the vegan reporters in the press corps?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't a couple of Yeti coolers and some dry ice be a lot cheaper?
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Can't a couple of Yeti coolers and some dry ice be a lot cheaper?

If a president from Alabama is ever elected, you can expect to see Yeti and Salt Life bumper stickers on AF1.
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rolls royce and siemens in instances give the capital equupment simply for lifecycle revenues.
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Although the new fridges will use standard industry technology, they have a unique capacity to provide about 70 cubic feet of cold storage, meaning crews will not have to re-stock for extended periods of time.

Seems to me they will need a lot more than 70 cubic feet of cold storage, since a typical household refrigerator is about 25 ft.Âł.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

The problem with bidding on things like this is its a one time cost so they factor in the resources that are being used to build something they can never sell again. Let me put my best engineers on something I can never sell as part of my normal business? Not very good scalability so price goes through the roof.

Sure, but that's part of the contractor game. You're right, this type of one-off engineering isn't likely to produce much useful for Boeing. But Air Force One stuff tends to have very high visibility within Congress, the media (as we see now), and possibly even the President himself. It has the potential to impact the Boeing brand.

So when you're bidding you put your A-team of engineers with their very high label rates on the proposal. And you tell the Air Force, "It's expensive, but we're gonna knock it out of the park for you." Then once you get the contract you slide those A-team engineers off into an advisory role and back onto their real jobs on the next-gen 737 team or whatever, and put a team of journeyman engineers on there. Guys who are more than capable of designing a damn mil-spec mini-fridge. And the A-team just shows up to design reviews to make sure the journeymen aren't screwing it up. As long as the project is on schedule and budget, the government contract oversight team won't complain too much about how the proposed personnel mix doesn't exactly match what was bid. In fact in some contracts the contractor has no legal obligation to report exactly who worked each hour. You can just bill "Lead Engineer" hours.

Nope, Boeing can only invoice the rate for the hours of those who actually work on the program. Each individual has to log his or her hours at their rate every day into a DCAA approved time management system. If Boeing moves those expensive A-team engineers off the program and used guys with lower rates, then those lower rates will show up in the monthly invoice. I have never, ever heard of a DoD contract where you could bill hours by title and not by name (the exception being firm, fixed, price, but then you don't invoice hours anyway). Any cost type contract will require billing by individuals, all of which is auditable by the DCAA.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Nope, Boeing can only invoice the rate for the hours of those who actually work on the program. Each individual has to log his or her hours at their rate every day into a DCAA approved time management system. If Boeing moves those expensive A-team engineers off the program and used guys with lower rates, then those lower rates will show up in the monthly invoice. I have never, ever heard of a DoD contract where you could bill hours by title and not by name (the exception being firm, fixed, price, but then you don't invoice hours anyway). Any cost type contract will require billing by individuals, all of which is auditable by the DCAA.

You'll note that I used the term "some contracts" not "this contract." So calm your jets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not replying to Trail, but to the most recent post...

Nobody seems to be answering the actual question. Had this decision come up when Obama was still in office, what would Trump's tweet storm have looked like? Ignore whether or not the fridge upgrade is needed, or if the quoted price for said fridge upgrade is reasonable or not. What would Trump had said if this announcement was made 2 years ago?

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
not replying to Trail, but to the most recent post...

Nobody seems to be answering the actual question. Had this decision come up when Obama was still in office, what would Trump's tweet storm have looked like? Ignore whether or not the fridge upgrade is needed, or if the quoted price for said fridge upgrade is reasonable or not. What would Trump had said if this announcement was made 2 years ago?

Well that’s true. Even though he didn’t have anything to do with it, if Obama did it Trump would have tweeted some stupid bullshit about how he wouldn’t need air con cuz he’d never leave DC he’d be working so hard. And my sister in law would have posted some stupid haughty outraged Facebook post prefaced with “I don’t know if this is true but if it is.....”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
spot wrote:

You'll note that I used the term "some contracts" not "this contract." So calm your jets.

My jets are calm. Your post was extremely inaccurate, to be kind.

Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
...it’s in fact the complex requirements instated by the White House Military Office and the Air Force that require such a pricey job.

It's also not $24 million just to buy two new refrigerators. The units don't exist, and have the be engineered, built, tested, installed, etc on aircraft that also have to be secure against electronic and physical attack. It's not like they're dropping $24million on a trip to Home Depot to pick up a couple of fridges.

???

It's a replacement, surely Air Force One has existing refrigerators?

I have no opinion on the reasonability of the costs. Any time anything gets added to an aircraft things get very expensive very quickly.

It's not a direct replacement. It's an upgrade, designed to give the aircraft the ability to support longer periods of time between resupply. The idea is that the plane will not need to resupply in foreign countries during visits, because now it will have capacity to carry more refrigerated items for longer periods. The cost includes the engineering of the systems, the prototype development, installation, maintenance records, procedures, and manuals, required FAA testing, and required environmental impact studies for replacement of these particular systems on two of the "Air Force One" aircraft.

Need somewhere to put all those Diet Cokes.
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you have no problem with it because it is Trump (and Hillary would have done far far worse) but for me, just another example of how politicians are detached from the reality that taxpayers pay for their whims. It's just a small but really a perfect example of how entitled politicians feel when they are in power, regardless of their own personal wealth.

As is typical with Trump it's not the singular issue, it's the pattern of behavior and in this case blatant and bald hypocrisy.

Citizen Trump constantly attacked Obama and other politicians for their spendthrift ways. Candidate Trump carried that on, adding the bromide, that he was so good a businessman and deal-maker, he would get a better deal, with Boeing, or whoever. President Trump now seems not to care.

In fact, Trump's presidency is on record pace, to be overall the most expensive presidency, ever, by a long shot, AND the Trump business, is also profiting directly and indirectly from Trump being in the White House. Both of these issues seem to get VERY little news coverage.

Do Trump voters/supporters/GOP, not care that Trump is costing the U.S. tax-payers and citizens all of this extra money, AND profiting from it all at the same time?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 meals and weeks without resupply......sounds like a flying nuclear bunker. Never know when one of those might be needed .........

can't they just save 24MM and live on tinned soup and breakfast cereal for a few weeks .....that is pretty much all i eat now and I'm doing ok.
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I know you have no problem with it because it is Trump (and Hillary would have done far far worse) but for me, just another example of how politicians are detached from the reality that taxpayers pay for their whims. It's just a small but really a perfect example of how entitled politicians feel when they are in power, regardless of their own personal wealth.

As is typical with Trump it's not the singular issue, it's the pattern of behavior and in this case blatant and bald hypocrisy.

Citizen Trump constantly attacked Obama and other politicians for their spendthrift ways. Candidate Trump carried that on, adding the bromide, that he was so good a businessman and deal-maker, he would get a better deal, with Boeing, or whoever. President Trump now seems not to care.

In fact, Trump's presidency is on record pace, to be overall the most expensive presidency, ever, by a long shot, AND the Trump business, is also profiting directly and indirectly from Trump being in the White House. Both of these issues seem to get VERY little news coverage.

Do Trump voters/supporters/GOP, not care that Trump is costing the U.S. tax-payers and citizens all of this extra money, AND profiting from it all at the same time?

Holy Shit man. Obama campaigned on the deficit. Most expensive presidency ever? Are you remotely aware of the deficit increase the last 9 years?
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Are you remotely aware of the deficit increase the last 9 years?

Are you implying that Obama is responsible for the first Trump year?
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Fixed the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: What would candidate Trump say about President Trump spending $24MM for refrigerators? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Holy Shit man. Obama campaigned on the deficit. Most expensive presidency ever? Are you remotely aware of the deficit increase the last 9 years?

I don’t think he’s referring to the entire federal budget, including all the long-term entitlement programs and all the congresscritters’ various personal pork projects ~ rather, the point was over how much the administration’s personal operating expenses have mushroomed for things like travel, entertaining, vacations, family SS protection, etc.

I do find the fact that Trump profits personally from having all his official entourage (staff & SS, etc) stay at his own resorts for his uber-frequent golfing vacations to be extremely distasteful. We already know he complained bitterly about how much time Obama spent golfing (before going on to spend even more time doing it himself thus far), so just imagine what he’d have said if Obama had been lining his own pockets w/ taxpayer $$ in the process.
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Jan 30, 18 8:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next