Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero wheels /websites for the budget - minded
Quote | Reply
Hi!
Looking for some recommendations for those budget minded people in the market for a set of race wheels.
What main brand/lesser known brands would you recommend? Non - mainstream sites that I should turn my search to?

I have done a few half irons now and another scheduled for my (A) this year, maybe a full next year. I know the engine makes the difference and I am self aware enough to know a couple grams are not going to get me on any podiums. Just looking to make that next upgrade without going crazy on the spending. 2k+ is hard for me to justify for race wheels.

Looking around a bit and maybe a set of FLO? Go the other end and some brands I never heard of on ebay? Used and hope they are okay?

I appreciate any feedback, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero wheels /websites for the budget - minded [WeThereYet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look no further than FLO or HED Jet Plus (on sale). Check out mybikeshop for sale prices on HEDs. That’s where I got mine. I got my FLO wheels from FLO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very few reasons to buy anything other than Flo hybrid wheels, budget or not IMO. Tests have shown them to be just as aero as anything out there, and while they're a little heavier, the difference is negligible for most people's performances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo /endthread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excel Sports has 6+ for 950$. They usually have a 15% or so discount for the first purchase. See what discount code pops up. Back Country, R&A, and ProBikkeKit are also good options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Flo or HED. I just received my HED Jet 6 plus wheels yesterday and they look impressive. I can not wait to ride them outside. I also have a set of FLO 30's, a Flo 90 CC front, and a Flo disc. Couldn't be happier with their quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoeleo and Farsports seem to get consistently decent reviews for wheels out of China.

Prime wheels from wiggle or Chain Reaction would be worth a look too.

And of course aero disc covers for the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick responses! I really appreciate the input so far and anything else someone can add.

Definitely some sites that I had not had on my list and will now be on my browsing list.
I guess I wasn't far off on thinking a set of FLO (60/90).

mybikeshop
backcountry
R&A
ProBikkekit
Wiggle
ChainReaction

FLO
HED
Yoeleo
Farsports
Prime

Awesome write-up Thomas, very indepth and I read through some of your other posts.

Anything I can save is just another race(s) I can do or another bit of gear that will pop up(shoes showing their age/misc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.lightbicycle.com/

I've built up 3 sets with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
watch for slightly used on here and facebook and get a nice set for good deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the HED Jet+'s are on sale, you're getting pointy-end performance at a real bargain. Unfortunately, the sales are usually only on full sets, not individual wheels, so the sale doesn't help those looking to apply the uber-thrifty "fast-aero-front-wheel/wheel-cover-over-cheap-alloy-rear-wheel" solution.

The FLO 60 carbon/alloy is another high performing wheel that's typically a bit more affordable than the similar HED Jet+ as a single-wheel purchase.

Another, cheaper, if slightly less slippery, individual front wheel option is the Bontrager Aura 5 TLR, currently on sale for $303.

Nashbar currently has the 50mm deep Oval Concepts 950F's on sale for $170 front, $200 rear. I wouldn't expect that deal to last long. They're not great wheels, but, at that price, a front 950F and a Wheelbuilders Aerojacket cover for your existing rear wheel probably gets you ~2/3rds of the way to pointy-end wheel aero performance for less than $300

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jan 28, 18 8:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d like to add my voice to mybikeshop and HED Wheels. They’ve got the HED Jet 9 Black on at the moment for a steal. I recently bought HED Jet 6 Black from them. Shipping to Europe was easy, got good updates from them, and a nice with compliments slip and note in the box. It’s the little touches - they’re a company that’s nailing the customer service.

The HED Jet Blacks are great. I run Belgium Plus rims on some BHS hubs I built up. I’d love to get a set of Ardennes Blacks. The braking is great using R8000 Ultegra brakes and SwissStop BXP Evo pads.
Last edited by: JerseyBigfoot: Jan 28, 18 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Aero wheels /websites for the budget - minded [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gary! This is really helpful information that I have not ran across other places. I have thought about a cover before but never really priced them. (I understand the handling/wind side of that option)
Quote Reply