Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What went wrong with my foot?
Quote | Reply
I've been doing a lot more riding recently, some high intensity stuff, and not a whole lot else. I mention that as this might be linked to bike shoe straps (just a guess, but I cant think what else caused it).

I keep getting sharp pains in my big toe, along the top/ side at the point where it curves. When i point my right foot (as you would when swimming, for example) i get a sharp pain along the top of my big toe. It hurts when I put on pants (not optional), really hurts if I kick a football and I feel the same pain when I walk down stairs. If I hold the foot at 90 degrees to the leg I can move all toes without pain. If I have my foot relaxed and rub along the top of the foot, kind of in line with the tendon (?) from my big toe, I experience the same pain down by the toe itself. So what did I mess up and how do I fix it? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: What went wrong with my foot? [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:
I've been doing a lot more riding recently, some high intensity stuff, and not a whole lot else. I mention that as this might be linked to bike shoe straps (just a guess, but I cant think what else caused it).

I keep getting sharp pains in my big toe, along the top/ side at the point where it curves. When i point my right foot (as you would when swimming, for example) i get a sharp pain along the top of my big toe. It hurts when I put on pants (not optional), really hurts if I kick a football and I feel the same pain when I walk down stairs. If I hold the foot at 90 degrees to the leg I can move all toes without pain. If I have my foot relaxed and rub along the top of the foot, kind of in line with the tendon (?) from my big toe, I experience the same pain down by the toe itself. So what did I mess up and how do I fix it? Thanks.

Do you have a different pair of shoes? I would start there --or buy another that doesn't have straps/seams/creases that push into the area in question. Back off your cycling, focus on swim and run (if you can) for a week or more and build slowly back up on your bike training. Also, I would avoid kicking footballs and putting on pants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you post this now. I'm currently in a sitting here wearing a walking boot for almost they exact same problem.

Nothing had changed in my setup. Shoes, cleats, fit, nothing. What did change was my training plan. I started a new Trainer Road plan that called for short 200% FTP intervals.

After some xrays and and exam my doc thinks my foot morphology combined with the added stress was essentially jamming my big toe. At first I thought is was gout or arthritis. I kept on riding not putting the pieces together.

I've got some custom orthotics on order and I'm taking a 4 week break from the bike. I just hope I don't lose too much of the FTP I have worked so hard to gain in the last few months.
Quote Reply
Re: What went wrong with my foot? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, I guess it is good that I'm not alone?! So I'm curious, did your x-rays reveal any break/ fracture, or is this something else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I guess it is good that I'm not alone?! So I'm curious, did your x-rays reveal any break/ fracture, or is this something else?

They did not show a fracture or arthritis of any type.

What they did was prove that it should not be a chronic or permanent injury. So I've got that going for me...

They type of insert he is doing is almost identical what a ski shop did for me when I had foot problems skiing so I think it will solve the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to derail, but I’m pulling my hair out with frustration related to peroneal tendinitis. My belief is that custom orthotics from my foot dr (to address plantar fasciitis last summer), created the peroneal problem. Wore them all last fall...and stopped wearing them over the last week, and have noticed SLIGHT improvement.

Had my bike fit tweaked. Have custom insoles in cycling shoes made. Have a varus wedge that made the problem worse...so got rid of that. Had masssage therapy. Haven’t run consistently for 5 months now...actually run a total of 3 miles over that time...so running is not the problem. Have new cycling shoes, because belief that previous shoes were too small and snug. Let’s see...I think that just about covers it. Oh yeah, I stretch, roll, strength train...all that crap. Thinking about just getting fat and getting it over with.

The only thing I’ve accomplished so far is draining my bank account and sanity.

Rant over.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply