Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TUE required for cortisone shot months before Ironman?
Quote | Reply
This TUE stuff is confusing...

Cortisone is banned in-competition, but ok out-of-competition.

USADA states that only the following groups need a TUE:
1. Is in an International Federation Registered Testing Pool, or has been in the past;
2. Is planning to compete in any event sanctioned by an International Federation, the IOC, the IPC, the USOC, or PASO;
3. Is planning to compete in a competition which immediately results in National Team selection for an Olympic, Paralympic, Pan or Para-Pan American Games, including Youth Olympic Games;
4. Is in the USADA Registered Testing Pool, or has been in the past;
5. Receives USOC funding;
6. Has ever tested positive in an anti-doping test;
7. Is planning to compete in an Elite-Level National Championship (Open category only. Youth, juniors, masters, or age-groupers- are non-nationals).

Is Ironman considered part of #2?

Then I read that USADA isn't the org responsible for Ironman, and that WADA is. So i started digging into WADA policy.

Then on the WADA TUE site, it says:
4.4.2 An Athlete who is not an International-Level Athlete should apply to his or her National Anti-Doping Organization for a TUE.
4.4.3 An Athlete who is an International-Level Athlete should apply to his or her International Federation.

So, here are my questions:

Do I need a TUE?
Can you point me to a definitive document or paragraph that tells me I don't need a TUE.
If I do need a TUE, do I file it through USADA or somebody else?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: TUE required for cortisone shot months before Ironman? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not an expert so don't take this opinion as fact. I don't think Ironman falls under item 2 as it's not an Olympic event so possibly not under the jurisdiction of the IOC/USOC.

However Ironman does have its own doping rules. I assume these are current:
http://m.eu.ironman.com/~/media/ed8f61451bf74066a46f24e4b6dc4270/the%20ironman%20anti%20doping%20rules.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: TUE required for cortisone shot months before Ironman? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your looking at the wrong section. You pulled info from the National/International Level athlete.

Your info is here "non-national"- all other athletes

Non-National
1) If the substance is prohibited only during competition, and not out-of-competition as well, then a TUE is not needed prior to competition. Learn more about medications prohibited in-competition only by clicking here.
2) If the substance is prohibited both in-competition and out-of-competition, then a TUE is needed prior to competition, except for the following substances.

• Diuretics and masking agents

• Inhaled Beta-2 agonists

• Insulin (If diagnosed with insulin-dependent diabetes.)

• Tamoxifen where the female Athlete can demonstrate use due to a diagnosis and treatment of breast or other cancers

• An IV or injection of a non-prohibited substance greater than 100mL per 12 hours for rehydration

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure on those first 3 letters in your name?

NO
Quote Reply
Re: TUE required for cortisone shot months before Ironman? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Your looking at the wrong section. You pulled info from the National/International Level athlete.

Your info is here "non-national"- all other athletes

Non-National

That's on the USADA page, but Ironman doesn't fall under USADA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does if it is a USAT sanctioned race. ETA: Can you show me where IM doenst fall under USADA, but does under WADA. USADA is WADA, essentially (it's the specific country's federation that carries out the testing in said country). If the race is in Canada, WADA controls would be carried out by Canadian officials. France same thing, etc.

Now IM also does it's own internal testing, but WADA/USADA are basically the same thing. WADA is the main thing w/ USADA simply being the sub branch that governs all races within the US.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 26, 18 20:01
Quote Reply
Re: TUE required for cortisone shot months before Ironman? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
It does if it is a USAT sanctioned race. ETA: Can you show me where IM doenst fall under USADA, but does under WADA. USADA is WADA, essentially (it's the specific country's federation that carries out the testing in said country). If the race is in Canada, WADA controls would be carried out by Canadian officials. France same thing, etc.

Now IM also does it's own internal testing, but WADA/USADA are basically the same thing. WADA is the main thing w/ USADA simply being the sub branch that governs all races within the US.

I believe that Ironman is a signatory to WADA, so it's under the WADA umbrella. I am interested in this findings here. After a few torn discs, I had one cortisone injection in 2016 and two in 2017. I am doing much better, but not in line to compete again any time soon. During this entire time since Sep 2015, I have not entered a competition of any kind, but if I do get better and I can, I want to know how far back I have to go that a TUE is needed to enter an event covered by Triathlon Canada. My last cortisone shot was Sep 2017 if it helps. But mainly right now, I am just competing against myself in the pool, so I don't need any TUE for being the hero of a competition with myself!
Quote Reply
Re: TUE required for cortisone shot months before Ironman? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right but WADA doing a test in the US would be done by USADA. So WADA at US races is USADA. There is no WADA without USADA in the U.S.

THIS:

Then on the WADA TUE site, it says:
4.4.2 An Athlete who is not an International-Level Athlete should apply to his or her National Anti-Doping Organization for a TUE.
4.4.3 An Athlete who is an International-Level Athlete should apply to his or her International Federation.

So yes in this case, if he is talking US races and I assume he was because he linked USADA, USADA would be the governing agency for him and all other AG athletes at US sanctioned races.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 26, 18 20:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottom line.. Cortisone has a very short half-life. So as a non-national athlete a TUE is a non issue as it is ok O-O-C
Quote Reply
Re: TUE required for cortisone shot months before Ironman? [Craig P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and "in competition" is a time period roughly defined by usada/wada as 24 hours before race + race + 24 hours post race. You can be tested at any point and that would classify as in competition.

ETA: Essentially at any point when the testers are on the grounds of the race, it would be classified as "in competition" (which is usually almost always done post race).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 27, 18 8:07
Quote Reply