Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Safe riding in lightning storms? [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure you're right. I always thought of that when I was playing and a storm was approaching. Of course, I haven't carried a 1 iron since the late 80's/early 90's. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Safe riding in lightning storms? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

Also on top of all you mentioned, if you're riding in a thunderstorm, soaking wet, you're even more vulnerable.

I doubt being wet or dry does anything appreciable to change your "interest" to the lightening bolt. The difference in conductivity to 10 MegaVolts between dry and wet skin can't really be very significant.

Once you've got enough volts to turn a 10,000 foot air gap into Ozone...a little human skin (dry or wet) isn't going to do much to alter the flow path.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 26, 18 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Safe riding in lightning storms? [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.9 mA at 50k volts

Put a 1.5 v battery in, is it the same effect?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Safe riding in lightning storms? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
1.9 mA at 50k volts

I'm not sure I get the question.
Are you asking if you can get 1.9mA at 50K volts from a 1.5V battery?
Quote Reply
Re: Safe riding in lightning storms? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And another EE here.

To add more fun... yes, it takes tiny mA to ruin your day when it passes through the right muscles. But, the other fun and quite survivable lightning injury, to a point, is high amperage that passes through a limb, but not the heart. The high current cooks the flesh and causes it to explode. Really gnarly stuff. So, picture yourself living, but having your leg blown off or all the flesh vaporized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
1.9 mA at 50k volts

A stun gun is not a "voltage source" like a battery or even a wall socket. Its really more of a voltage limited current source. So, yes a stun gun will "charge" to 50 kV when current isn't flowing. But, once current begins to flow at the designed current (2 mA +/- 0 0.1mA) that voltage will fall significantly based on the actual encountered resistance---typically 800-1200 Volts.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 26, 18 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: Safe riding in lightning storms? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
And another EE here.

To add more fun... yes, it takes tiny mA to ruin your day when it passes through the right muscles. But, the other fun and quite survivable lightning injury, to a point, is high amperage that passes through a limb, but not the heart. The high current cooks the flesh and causes it to explode. Really gnarly stuff. So, picture yourself living, but having your leg blown off or all the flesh vaporized.

Yep. More accurately turns the water to steam. Same thing that often happens to trees that are struck.

No thanks. Just kill me. Maybe a good reason to where a tinfoil hat. Give me the best odds of it passing through my skull and heart.
Quote Reply
Re: Safe riding in lightning storms? [original] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't listen to all of these guys talking about amps and volts because they're missing the big picture. The answer depends on your aero position. If you're not low enough, your head will be the highest point, thus the entrance to the bolt. However, if you get low, your hips will be higher meaning that you'll get struck in the rear end, passing the current to the road, and providing you with an extra burst of speed. In reality, getting struck by lightning while in a low aero position will make you faster. Free speed.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop worrying about lighting storms. Odds are someone texting or not paying attention while driving will kill you looooong before a lightning bolt comes within 100 meters of where you are.
Quote Reply
Re: Safe riding in lightning storms? [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nolegs wrote:
Stop worrying about lighting storms. Odds are someone texting or not paying attention while driving will kill you looooong before a lightning bolt comes within 100 meters of where you are.

Probably get hit by a driver taking a selfie while texting how bad the lightning storm is. Driver is distracted by trying to come up with the perfect "lightning storm" duck face.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad but true.
Quote Reply
Re: Safe riding in lightning storms? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!!
Tri-Banter wrote:
Don't listen to all of these guys talking about amps and volts because they're missing the big picture. The answer depends on your aero position. If you're not low enough, your head will be the highest point, thus the entrance to the bolt. However, if you get low, your hips will be higher meaning that you'll get struck in the rear end, passing the current to the road, and providing you with an extra burst of speed. In reality, getting struck by lightning while in a low aero position will make you faster. Free speed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened to me during IMLP 2014. Most scared I've ever been! Going up Rt 73 just past the ski jumps in that open field section. Lightning everywhere, terrifying. Honestly, I thought about waiting in T1 until the storm past. But if it's during a training ride why in the hell even consider it?
Quote Reply

Prev Next