Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can anyone recommend a sports physiology book?
Quote | Reply
As i am almost constantly injured in one way or another I would like to learn a bit about what all these sore muscles are, if only so i don't sound like such a biff when i'm talking to my PT.

Can anyone recommend a sports physiology book? Nothing that requires a medical degree to understand, but equally something a bit more in-depth than "The foot bone's connected to the ankle bone, the ankle bone's connected to the leg bone..."
Last edited by: RCCo: Jan 26, 18 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a sports physiology book? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready To Run by Kelly Starrett is a good book to diagnose and treat many of the injuries that are associated with running and sports. It is not a physiology book per se, but does go into the different muscles that are used in running.

In addition, Kelly has a book Becoming a Supple Leopard, which is more like a text book on drills and exercises to increase mobility in different muscle groups. These book will explain a lot of the physiology plus give you the means to help treat and prevent your injuries!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The classic college and graduate school text book for physiology is "Excercise Physiology" by McArdle, Katch, and Katch. It's more physiology than anatomy. If it's anatomy you want, there are plenty of anatomy reference materials out there, including a college-level coloring book that one of my friends swore by.

You can buy used textbooks at local college bookstores, and certainly on the web.
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a sports physiology book? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
The classic college and graduate school text book for physiology is "Excercise Physiology" by McArdle, Katch, and Katch. It's more physiology than anatomy. If it's anatomy you want, there are plenty of anatomy reference materials out there, including a college-level coloring book that one of my friends swore by.

You can buy used textbooks at local college bookstores, and certainly on the web.

For General first year Anatomy and Physiology, McCardle Katch and Katch is extremely common with the Marieb and Saladin texts not too far behind.

For a deeper dive, Astrand's Textbook of Work Physiology is great as is George Brooks' Bioenergetics book.

Gray's anatomy is not just a TV show. You can probably find that relatively cheap at Barnes and Noble, but it's pretty dense with beautiful hand drawings vs. typical diagrams.

If you just want to learn anatomy, I'd look into the apps available for your phone or the Anatomy coloring books. Personally never used them, so no recommendations.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a sports physiology book? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks for the recommendations.

Just found a copy on ebay for peanuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Lore of Running
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a sports physiology book? [Jicawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jicawa wrote:
The Lore of Running

I'd recommend that as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Inner Game of Tennis. It's a classic.

ETA: I read sports psychology.
Last edited by: GhiaGirl: Jan 27, 18 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a sports physiology book? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Jicawa wrote:
The Lore of Running

I'd recommend that as well

I've read that - it's a pretty epic work.
Quote Reply
Re: Can anyone recommend a sports physiology book? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anatomy for Runners is a good resource. It’s by Jay Dicharry who is a PT. Easy to understand and provides some good information. I’m a therapist also and found it pretty useful in my practice also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
muscleandmotion.com is website for anatomy and shows muscles and stuff if you like visual stuff. they have trials free before you buy i believe.
Quote Reply