Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running stagerace: recovery inbetween stages
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I'll be running my first stagerace this weekend and was wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of race and could offer me some tips and tricks.

The race is as following:
- Sat 11am: 4k with 350m of elevation
- Sat 4pm: 20k trailrun
- Sun 11am: 25k trailrun

Besides carbing up, I've been resting up like a pro.
After the first stage I guess the best strategy would be to get in a recoveryshake, take a hot shower, followed by a good meal and get some rest before the second stage. Maybe some foamrolling.

Kind of worried about how my body will feel the second day. Never raced back to back days before. Probably should take my time for a lenghty warmup and focus on some mobility. A few caffeine gels should help me get me on track aswell.

Any tips are appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Running stagerace: recovery inbetween stages [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 1 is short and should be over in under 1 hour, meaning you have 28 hours recovery before day 2. I cannot really see much strain/fatigue at all going into day 2 if you are used to training on consecutive days.

Day 2 to day 3 is a bit tougher. I did 2 events like this last year, but both were longer (40km + per day). Day 2 was fine as long as I ate well and slept well. The second event I had a knee injury so while I finished day 2, I did not do day 3.

The main issue you have is the short recovery time between day 2 and 3. My advice: eat immediately after finishing - a shake is fine, rather than waiting 2 hours for dinner. Then eat a normal dinner (nothing that will cause gastric issues on day 3). Self massage or roll legs. Rest!!!

If you are sleeping communally, take ear plugs and go to sleep as early as you can.

Enjoy!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar experience with a relay race I did. A little more rest between 1 and 2, but similar distances. I think the most important thing will be pacing each race. Going full out on the 4k, and then the 20k, you'll be pretty toast come the last race.

My strategy (and distances). Leg 1 was about 11 AM and 4 mi. Ran a bit slower than 10K pace, not all out. Rested, ate some protein and hydrated. Leg 2 was around midnight, 12mi and I did this at a little slower than 1/2 marathon pace. Ate some more when done and went to sleep. Next was about 10AM, 8 mi leg and I flat out crushed it, ran the whole 8 under my 10k PR pace.

I think that worked well, get to the last leg ready to crush it by keeping yourself in check the first few. Eat things easily digestible, and only enough to fuel, don't want to be bloated.
Quote Reply
Re: Running stagerace: recovery inbetween stages [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Misery wrote:
Day 1 is short and should be over in under 1 hour, meaning you have 28 hours recovery before day 2. I cannot really see much strain/fatigue at all going into day 2 if you are used to training on consecutive days.

Day 2 to day 3 is a bit tougher. I did 2 events like this last year, but both were longer (40km + per day). Day 2 was fine as long as I ate well and slept well. The second event I had a knee injury so while I finished day 2, I did not do day 3.

Well stage 1 and 2 are actually on the same day, with just 5hours apart. Might make it a bit more tricky.

djhuff7 wrote:
I had a similar experience with a relay race I did. A little more rest between 1 and 2, but similar distances. I think the most important thing will be pacing each race. Going full out on the 4k, and then the 20k, you'll be pretty toast come the last race.

My strategy (and distances). Leg 1 was about 11 AM and 4 mi. Ran a bit slower than 10K pace, not all out. Rested, ate some protein and hydrated. Leg 2 was around midnight, 12mi and I did this at a little slower than 1/2 marathon pace. Ate some more when done and went to sleep. Next was about 10AM, 8 mi leg and I flat out crushed it, ran the whole 8 under my 10k PR pace.

I think that worked well, get to the last leg ready to crush it by keeping yourself in check the first few. Eat things easily digestible, and only enough to fuel, don't want to be bloated.

Right got it. Pacing myself will be key.
Will mainly be eating plain rice with some tuna before and in between stages, and a nice plate of spaghetti with veggies in the evening.

Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the same day..... ouch!!!!! Sorry, I misread your original post. The advice from djhuff7 is good. Just get off your feet as quickly as you can after the 4K leg and massage those legs while refueling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Save the caffeine for that 3rd one. If you go to the caffeine well early, it'll have less effect when you really need it. (Beyond basic morning coffee, etc, which is fine).

Also save the caffeine for during the race. Don't use it to get "up" for the start. It's natural to feel a bit down and un-fired-up after a few stages. Don't worry about it. Once you're a few miles in things will click.
Quote Reply