Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me not fu*k up my move. [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 20 years ago I called U-Haul and reserved a truck and chose a pick-up location from the list of places that they told me would be available. I arranged to have my father help me load everything. I took off from work (I was already working in the new location) and we drove 4 hours to pick up the truck. When we got there on a Friday, the place was out of business. I called U-Haul and they said there was a truck about an hour away.

I will say that they did have someone drive it part of the way, but I lost several hours of time trying to find a truck. What was frustrating was that they never called me once to indicate that there was an issue. It wasn't until I went to pick up the truck that they informed the place was closed.

That being said, I have used them several times since and haven't had an issue.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Jan 25, 18 21:33
Quote Reply
Re: Help me not fu*k up my move. [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epic!

Re: Help me not fu*k up my move. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have moved three countries in the last 12 months

my wife is currently preparing to move us again

We identified everything we would keep at the first move, got rid of basically everything except electronics, sports equipment and clothes.

we moved everything we were keeping to one room in the house and then advertised everything from about 6 months before we moved.

whatever had not sold 2 months out was then part of our open house weekends where people could come round and just buy it for cash

we sold all furniture, beds, most art - everything

the next two moves were consolidations of stuff in various locations in the UK and to france.

these moves were only are personally valuable stuff BUT now that we are reversing that move, we are getting rid of another shed load of stuff - including furniture.

With the move itself insure it, for overseas moves its usually just based upon the total value of the shipment. we arrived in France and a bunch of stuff was broken - very little relative to what we shipped but annoying none the less so we claimed and got it all back

obvious things with move; banks, schools, utilities, insurance, registering vehicles etc, redirecting mail

were I to do it all again - and I am just about to - I'd get rid of everything I thought I did not need, and once I had done that go back through everything else and get rid of half of that as well.................the amount of shit that I have moved around the world and the cost of it relative to just dumping it is absurd
Quote Reply
Re: Help me not fu*k up my move. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
U-Haul trucks are shit. Go with any other company.

Edit: as others have said the "reservation" is meaningless. They will give your truck away in a heartbeat.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jan 26, 18 4:47
Quote Reply
Re: Help me not fu*k up my move. [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
jw13 wrote:
I would pay for movers. You have plenty else going on.

Agreed. Even it only entails hiring out some help loading and unloading the big stuff. You can still do it mostly yourself, but I've hired out the loading and unloading of the big stuff and will never go back to doing it myself.

x1000!!!!

Take the time to box it up yourself. Pay someone to load it. I'll never go back to the physical strain of loading it myself again. It's good exercise, but an entirely poor waste of time at a critical time of your day-to-day ops. I've found that loading myself = to never leaving on time, missing goodbyes, missing or messing up other details, etc. Hiring people to load/unload = to targeted date + 1 and a lot less stress. Plus, buying the guys who are doing the work, coffee, pizza, Gatorade, etc. grants you some equity in their choice of how they handle your things.

In agreement with everyone else as well regarding getting rid of stuff. I wanted to get rid of more coming back to CA this summer, but the gf was the barrier. We went from a 2 car to a 1.5 car, and I felt like I had lots of space. We've come to a 3 car garage now, and I'm like WTF!!!!

Also, I did look into services like Allied that Mopdahl is railing against, and ultimately decided against them since there was too much that seemed like it would not be determined until last minute. I was told that it may take up to 3 weeks to get my stuff. What? Fuck off! And, having a manifest that is underweight, a subtraction of stuff to a Uhaul, further delay, further uncertainty ... shit, am I glad that I didn't go through that.

I also had an aunt and uncle, who criss-crossed the country more than myself or anyone I know. They used "pro" moving van-lines, and she always complained about the thefts. Just another reason not to go that route.

It sucks but exciting all at the same time. Props to the international movers. I'm hoping to do an international move at some point in the future, but when I do, I'm either going to be single or nearly everything that I can't carry with me will be gone.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me not fu*k up my move. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ha, bring them to the next womens camp, I know a 6 year old boy that would think they were treasures, just like old gramps did all those years ago..(-;

My 6 year old would fight your 6 year old for them...
Quote Reply
Re: Help me not fu*k up my move. [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is what ended up happening:

We spent 6 weeks painting, cleaning and laying carpet. We got a storage unit and tossed everything of value or stuff we knew we would take into it. We heeded the advice given above; We threw out or donated tons of crap but still have a garage to empty. However, we were able to sell our home in our first pen house for 11K more then we asked. By the end of March we'll be out of here and into a 2 month apartment rental. The I will be heading to the Vegas area in early April to find a home to start the next chapter of our lives.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply

Prev Next