Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Huub Archimedes 3.5 I vs. II
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I'd like to switch from the Blueseventy Helix, 2016 model, to the Huub Archimedes.
I can get a discount for the older version.
Is it worth to go with the new model?
Thanks,
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Huub Archimedes 3.5 I vs. II [captain-dan76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from the Archimedes 3:5 1 to a Helix and now to the Archimedes II. I can't really remember swimming in the original Archimedes as it certainly wasn't a bad wetsuit but I found the Helix a lot more flexible in the arms and shoulders. Since going to the new Archimedes I find it every bit as flexible as the Helix and maybe some. It does feel more buoyant or my position in the water better, I don't know but it feels a faster and a nicer wetsuit for me to swim in. I'm not a great swimmer having dipped just under the hour for my last IM if that gives you some kind of gauge but get the new model...
Quote Reply
Re: Huub Archimedes 3.5 I vs. II [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great advice! When you compare the sizing, are the Blue70 and the Huub identical?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually use all three suits you are talking about, the original Archimedes 3:5, a 2016 Helix and a new Archimedes II 3:5. Here are my thoughts

I swam in the Helix since about 2007 and always loved it, I feel so unrestricted and barely noticed I was wearing a full suit. Before that I swam in various Orca suits (Predator, P-Flex, 3.8) and the Helix for me felt so much faster and comfortable. In 2013 I wanted to try something new and bought the Archimedes at a race expo. After one swim in it I decided to use it in the race and actually had a nice swim PB. It certainly felt buoyant and fast but I found the suit felt 'stiff' somehow. I also found the neck closure would bunch up and roll during swims which was super uncomfortable, still though it was my go-to suit for years and I used in every race and all open water training sessions. It started to wear a bit and develop some holes so last year I went back to the Helix since I was able to get a pretty good deal on one. I noticed though that my swim times in training and racing were actually getting slower. I'm around a 1-hour Ironman swimmer with decent form but I obviously benefit a lot from the 3:5 buoyancy of the HUUB. Mid-way through last summer I decided to try the Archimedes II and have never looked back! I am beating my old swim times that I did in the original Archimedes and they've improved the neck closure so right now I am a very happy swimmer... well other than the fact that the ponds are covered in 5 feet thick ice at the moment! I wore a medium in all suits and found the fit to be very similar. I'm also not affiliated in any way with HUUB so this is my unbiased opinion and n=1 experience.

I also noticed that the Archimedes III is due out today but I am sure there will be no deals on that for a while!
Quote Reply
Re: Huub Archimedes 3.5 I vs. II [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot! Actually I wear the Blue70 in size M and I find the legs and the arms a bit too short. Otherwise the suit fits me. Despite the added bouancy, I hope to get a bit of an extra length in the Huub suit. Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a M in the Helix but using a ML with the Archimedes. I have long legs and arms so sounds like you would be best going with the ML.
Quote Reply