Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Sale??
Quote | Reply
Could IM be sold again?

IM was not mentioned in the article, but selling company assets is not a good sign for Wanda.

http://money.cnn.com/...ng-assets/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: IM Sale?? [Deacon Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe an Oligarch will have it as his plaything for a few years. Ironman Moscow anyone?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Sale?? [Deacon Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya this story came out awhile back, the Chinese govt has put the hammer down on foreign debt a company can hold, trying not to become the next crash victim. So they have been selling off a lot to that for pennies on the dollar(well some nickels, dimes and quarters too, but at losses).

The problem with WTC is that they so overpaid for it that they may not even get 1/2 back. And that amount might not even cover any of the debt, so it would be a total write off loss. That doesn't really help them unless it is just book debt they have to get rid of even if it is completely written off. So if WTC is making any real money at all and it services the debt in a meaningful way, they will probably keep it. It is after all just a fly on an elephant in the overall scheme of the business, but that also makes it unimportant to them too financially.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out with Wanda, perhaps Lifetime fitness will get another bite at the ironman apple after all...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Sale?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ya this story came out awhile back...

There's been at least two threads on it since last summer and Wanda still has not sold WTC. If the passage of time is any indicator, then it is unlikely that IM (and Cape Epic and Competitor Group and all the other businesses under that umbrella) will be sold in the near future.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Sale?? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the big chunks are what are being sold off in the beginning. But at some point it may get down to the little businesses like WTC that work their way up the list to balance the books so to speak with the Chinese Govt.

But like I said, I really dont think a sale at this time vs what they paid for it would get them anything off the balance sheet. Short of a complete write off it just makes sense to keep companies making some money and paying down their own debt, while selling others that have more than book value and they can get an immediate write off and increase that % of debt value they are seeking..

It is also possible that there is some personal connection that is protecting WTC at the moment, like the old Providence one that did that deal. Of course we know what happened to that guy so probably best not to be too married to your passions when it comes to business decisions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no insight whatsoever, but it wouldn't make any sense to sell off Ironman without all the companies Ironman has bought since. I've been over to their new HQ several times and they still aren't finished building out their leased space to handle the Competitor Group acquisition. And if they are going to sell off WTC, then why bother keeping Infront Sports & Media which WTC reports to? Perhaps they are the favorite pet company in Wanda's Holdings but if the need for cash is that dire, then maybe something will happen by the end of the year although I wouldn't expect it to change their current operations much.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Sale?? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but if the need for cash is that dire, then maybe something will happen by the end of the year although I wouldn't expect it to change their current operations much. \\\

I don't believe it is a need for cash, but just to reduce the foreign debt load. So unless the company they are selling can do that, it probably doesn't make sense to sell it. And as for what is going on with WTC, of course it will be business as usual. The people running the show on the ground have the same job now as they did a month, or a year ago. It is their Job to enhance the company and grow it as well as they can. This would be true if they were never going to be for sale, or they were going up for sale tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I agree that the big chunks are what are being sold off in the beginning. But at some point it may get down to the little businesses like WTC that work their way up the list to balance the books so to speak with the Chinese Govt.

But like I said, I really dont think a sale at this time vs what they paid for it would get them anything off the balance sheet. Short of a complete write off it just makes sense to keep companies making some money and paying down their own debt, while selling others that have more than book value and they can get an immediate write off and increase that % of debt value they are seeking..

It is also possible that there is some personal connection that is protecting WTC at the moment, like the old Providence one that did that deal. Of course we know what happened to that guy so probably best not to be too married to your passions when it comes to business decisions.

Really? Because they are actually in the process of listing the sports division via IPO.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-wanda-sale-exclusive/exclusive-chinas-wanda-mulls-sport-unit-ipo-and-sale-of-overseas-assets-sources-idUSKBN1ET0TH

Edit: your explanation of debt write off and BV is incoherent. Not trying to be antagonistic. Can you clarify?

Last edited by: 1poseur1: Jan 26, 18 8:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Is Ironman even making any money? Is that model even profitable? [/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: IM Sale?? [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edit: your explanation of debt write off and BV is incoherent. Not trying to be antagonistic. Can you clarify? //

Sorry I forget that others have not read all the previous articles about what is going on with Wanda and its China overlords. They are forcing them to divest of a lot of the overseas shopping spree that has been going on for years, the government is not comfortable with a lot of their biggest companies having so much leverage. Unlike here, they have to listen to their bosses(the Chinese govt) and thus they have been having a fire sale of assets. He is a passage from the story you quoted(thanks by the way, hadn't seen that one)

"Shortly after, Wanda sold a portfolio of hotels and tourism assets, including 13 theme parks, for $9 billion to Guangzhou R&F Properties (2777.HK) and Sunac China (1918.HK). Five flagship overseas developments - in London, Chicago, Los Angeles, Sydney and Australia’s Gold Coast - are also available for sale, according to one source."

My point was that since I (and most everyone else in the know) believe that Wanda waaaay overpaid for WTC, selling it now at a big loss would be pointless to what the govt is trying to get them to do. Yes sell assets, but dont give them away and lose money if you dont have to. But this article you posted is interesting as it may be another way out for them. They are bundling most of their sports acquisitions and thinking about taking them public with a Chinese bank it looks like. It would be a way to raise a lot of capital to pay off the debt that the govt is so interested in, while keeping the business viable for a later sale. Wanda knows they paid too much for WTC now too, heads have been rolling and they are pissed off. But of course everyone likes to save face, just like providence tried to do when they paid too much way back when.

It really has been the biggest sucker theory going on here and unfortunately for Wanda they are most likely the last in the line and get the biggest loser title. I think WTC makes money so they will plow through as well as they can until one day it hopefully catches up with what they paid for it. But in the meantime going public might be a good call, or not. What if the stock tanks and drives the value down even further, just means more years at the helm of a barley floating ship..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Edit: your explanation of debt write off and BV is incoherent. Not trying to be antagonistic. Can you clarify? //

Sorry I forget that others have not read all the previous articles about what is going on with Wanda and its China overlords. They are forcing them to divest of a lot of the overseas shopping spree that has been going on for years, the government is not comfortable with a lot of their biggest companies having so much leverage. Unlike here, they have to listen to their bosses(the Chinese govt) and thus they have been having a fire sale of assets. He is a passage from the story you quoted(thanks by the way, hadn't seen that one)

"Shortly after, Wanda sold a portfolio of hotels and tourism assets, including 13 theme parks, for $9 billion to Guangzhou R&F Properties (2777.HK) and Sunac China (1918.HK). Five flagship overseas developments - in London, Chicago, Los Angeles, Sydney and Australia’s Gold Coast - are also available for sale, according to one source."

My point was that since I (and most everyone else in the know) believe that Wanda waaaay overpaid for WTC, selling it now at a big loss would be pointless to what the govt is trying to get them to do. Yes sell assets, but dont give them away and lose money if you dont have to. But this article you posted is interesting as it may be another way out for them. They are bundling most of their sports acquisitions and thinking about taking them public with a Chinese bank it looks like. It would be a way to raise a lot of capital to pay off the debt that the govt is so interested in, while keeping the business viable for a later sale. Wanda knows they paid too much for WTC now too, heads have been rolling and they are pissed off. But of course everyone likes to save face, just like providence tried to do when they paid too much way back when.

It really has been the biggest sucker theory going on here and unfortunately for Wanda they are most likely the last in the line and get the biggest loser title. I think WTC makes money so they will plow through as well as they can until one day it hopefully catches up with what they paid for it. But in the meantime going public might be a good call, or not. What if the stock tanks and drives the value down even further, just means more years at the helm of a barley floating ship..

Thanks. I am actually quite knowledgeable of Dalian Wanda and the situation. You seem to imply that WTC has a separate capital structure from Dalian - it does not. Also, you seem to extrapolate your understanding of US tax code and assume similarity of the mechanics of loss carry-forwards with those of China - they are not. Keep in mind that China is still a state planned economy and corporations are only independent from the state to the extent that the state allows. Wanda does not have a choice in whether or not they want or get to sell and they do not have a say in the price. This may be good or bad for WTC, who knows.
Last edited by: 1poseur1: Jan 26, 18 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: IM Sale?? [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that China is still a state planned economy and corporations are only independent from the state to the extent that the state allows. Wanda does not have a choice in whether or not they want or get to sell and they do not have a say in the price. This may be good or bad for WTC, who knows. //

I know all of this, my point was that they probably had some discretion on what assets they would actually sell and put up for sale. Perhaps some of them were so big they were just going on the chopping bloc no matter what, but WTC is very small in the grand scheme of things, and perhaps they do have a say in whether it stays or goes. I was just guessing that if it were me, I would sell the biggest and most valuable(as compared to book value) first, and hope that gets me to the % that makes the bosses happy. The aggregating of the sports tells me that they want to deal with them but they were too small to play with individually. That makes perfect sense to, just that for us now we might be tied to some other sports future, good or bad..

It is definitely going to be interesting which way it goes, not sure they will be having our best interest at heart, but that is the price for having big corp. running legacy races. It should never have been that way but we got just big enough and popped our heads above our bubble and some investors took notice..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long term, it’s tough to determine what the proper ownership for WTC is. State-sponsored entity? Foreign oligarch? Domestic PE firm? US listed company? None of that makes a lot of sense based on the accordion style growth and contractions of the triathlon market.

Maybe a benevolent tech gazillionaire like Mark Zuckerberg will get into triathlon and just buy it as a low returning side hobby. That’s the best outcome I can imagine.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Sale?? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know lifetime was one of the losers in the last sale, I think they would be good stewards for the sport, and are well allighned with it other than just bottom line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I know lifetime was one of the losers in the last sale, I think they would be good stewards for the sport, and are well allighned with it other than just bottom line.

there are a bunch of guys in Panama City looking forward to draft legal IN.
Quote Reply