Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure no regrets, she must have a huge passion for running.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there were a few key factors that helped make her decision to move on from tri. I think the gold medal gave her the “clout” to get paid fairly well for this Olympic round in running. I think her potential + likeability will pretty much allow her to go at athletics for as long as she wants and most likely on someone’s dime.

I also think she’s smart enough and knows the game well enough to know when enough is enough. But one bad marathon isn’t the time to quit. That’s just normal progression, it’s not always going to be roses in this type of pursuit. So maybe she gives it up if she doesn’t make the team and goes become full time mom + corporate speaking tour making bank.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been mentioned before but I think the lifestyle difference going from ITU to running was a big factor. With ITU, you are travelling and training all over the world and moving around constantly. With running, you can do all of your training at home and only travel to a select few events.

Travelling gets old.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [Stva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Talansky made his decision from World Tour to LD Tri for family reason also, from what he said. More time at home with the wife and kid.

For GJ, I guess it is a mix of love for marathon, and more time with family. Somebody also mentioned relations with USAT ?
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Considering how many shitty messes Nike as a company has on their hands. Keeping an All American, Wholesome, Family Oriented Gold Medalist on the roster would be my first priority. In fact, she gets a raise.

Agree. Also, given Nike’s need to find women athletes to sponsor, Gwen is a bargain.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not sure Nike has any need to sponsor her, their Next % are the hottest shoes in running and they have taken a huge chunk of market share in Marathons and Half Marathons, not too long ago you would have been lucky to see a couple of serious recreational runners in Nike, asics , brooks and saucony were the real runner brands. Now you go to a Mara and its Nike galore, Adidas and Hoka holding their own. I doubt GJ has had any influence on that, its been the media around breaking two then actually breaking two and the women’s mara world record going down also. A relatively good athlete like GJ adds nothing to the hype, most runner wouldn’t know who GJ is, and as a triathlete she has become irrelevant to those who follow the sport. Now if she cane back to tri, runs really well in ironman in Nike and was challenging Daniella and Annie to win Kona, that has some serious marketing pull.
Last edited by: Gilliga: Dec 7, 19 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking more generally that for non-college sports, the number of available even moderately known women athletes is just a fraction of the number of men athletes. I would guess Nike needs professional women athletes to try to look balanced. So, I’m that sense, they need her. GJ has a fantastic public image. She’s a good bet for any company that wants to avoid PR trouble.
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Dec 7, 19 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
I was thinking more generally that for non-college sports, the number of available even moderately known women athletes is just a fraction of the number of men athletes. I would guess Nike needs professional women athletes to try to look balanced. So, I’m that sense, they need her. GJ has a fantastic public image. She’s a good bet for any company that wants to avoid PR trouble.

as I said upthread, also keep in mind the ROI. From a cost benefit analysis, Gwen's "salary" or whatever against her social media influence, it might be profitable to have Gwen as a sponsored athlete.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yer good point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
On the other hand, getting results might have some importance... And I don't see her getting any.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that Gwen is racing today in Seattle - saw a post on Twitter. I'm assuming it's to run a qualifying time for the Olympic trials. Anyone have any idea of results?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of race do they have on Fridays??
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Pretty sure that’s well off the trials qualifying time of 15:20 for women. What can we read into this?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, 2 years ago she ran a fine 15:15 at the same race and was just barely outkicked by Emily Infeld. So basically, getting injured sucks, and she's still got a ways to go to get back to where she was then. But trials are 5 months away, so who knows what she can do in that time?
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
women's 5k is on june 25 so it's barely 4 months away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that’s well off the trials qualifying time of 15:20 for women. What can we read into this? //

Looking at the women's and mens overall times, looks to have been a slowish race, maybe the course, or the early paces??
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Pretty sure that’s well off the trials qualifying time of 15:20 for women. What can we read into this? //

Looking at the women's and mens overall times, looks to have been a slowish race, maybe the course, or the early paces??

I hear the course was very flat. And repetitive.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear the course was very flat. And repetitive. //

Understand, but if outdoors, windy maybe, super tactical and slowish early paces??
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
monty wrote:

I hear the course was very flat. And repetitive.

Hah! 10/10

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Gwen Jorgensen Interview / 24hr Training Video [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I hear the course was very flat. And repetitive. //

Understand, but if outdoors, windy maybe, super tactical and slowish early paces??

It’s still indoor track season. Wind no. Tactical, maybe.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply

Prev Next