Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike wreck hurt groin?
Quote | Reply
I was riding my bike casually on a green way about 10 days ago and it began to rain. I came up on a bridge made of wood and my wheels slid underneath me on the slippery surface and I hit pretty hard relative to how slow I was riding. Maybe 8-10 mph.

I landed on my left hip and even though it knocked the breath out of me, nothing seemed to serious other than embarrassment. About an hour later I felt a lot of tightness in my groin region like I had pulled it. 10 days later it really hasn’t improved at all and I am headed to the PT as soon as I can get it.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Only thing I can think of is the impact on the outside of my hip shook some things up interiorly.

Thanks to anyone that may have experience/knowledge with regards to what I am experiencing.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike wreck hurt groin? [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry you crashed, the groin area has a lot of muscles and nerves going thru there, would you be able to describe what you are experiencing in detail?
Ie, "it hurts when I... Dull ache or sharp pain, constant pain or intermittent..."
Quote Reply
Re: Bike wreck hurt groin? [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. So I can run easy on a treadmill or ride on a trainer easy with relatively little discomfort.

Anytime I move laterally or have any kind of pelvic rotation, I get a pretty sharp pain that feels fairly deep in my groin/pelvic region ok the side I landed on. It goes alway pretty quickly until I have another movement that flares the discomfort again. I tried running outside today and hurts anytime I turn direction or go up/down elevation.

I could make it thru a 10k right now but if you asked me to play a basketball game there would be no way.

Thanks again for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your PT would be able to pin point which muscle might have been strained i.e. Adductor, ischial, etc.
There are also inguinal nerves that pass thru there which are different that's sports hernia to also check for, also don't rule out a pinched nerve in your back that may get triggered with your lateral movements placed on your hips.

Keep us updated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had bike crash when 55. Landed hard on left side but shoulder took brunt. However the right groin area was injured slightly (jammed into bike seat)....or so it felt. More worried about back and shoulder, but my chasis out of line. It was end of season crash so I thought with rest everything would pull back into place with couple of months off. Two years later with minor groin pain and misalignment I needed meniscus surgery on right knee.

So get checked for internal muscle damage (get anatomy app and see all that inserts there) and proper functional alignment. Check shoe wear patterns. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you may have whacked yourself on the top tube, or the saddle gave you a crotch punch.

Check your saddle rails/shell to see if it's bent. Stand behind the bike and give it the one-eye.

sometimes it's not the pavement, it's your own bike that gives you the worst impact bruises.

feel better!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike wreck hurt groin? [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a great point that I haven’t thought of until now. The only thing wrong with my bike was my saddle nose had shifted to the left by a good amount.

Thanks so much for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your weight and the hips provide a huuuuuge amount of torque on the saddle and post.

If round post, and nose is pointed easy to fix. If aero post that doesn't rotate, dissassemble clamp mechanism an inspect for any bending in the rail trough.

if really paranoid replace bolts in seatpost clamp

if road bike also check if bars are bent.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really do not want to scare and I hate what I am going to suggest. One of the ways to tear a hip labrum is direct hip trauma from a fall. One of the possible labrum tear symptoms is groin pain. This is so general and out of context but I think if you subject yourself to a detailed examination and you run out of options but still with groin pain, maybe you want to have a look, only than.
Quote Reply