Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giant Trinity 16/17 fit problem: How to get more than 40mm in spacers above the base bar? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 2017 Trinity and love it. Went to that from a 2016 Speed Concept 9.9 that I just couldn't get comfy on, I had a medium SC but am now on a small Trinity. I am running it with no spacers and swapped the stock extensions out for Zipp carbon Evo 110's. I use a Zipp BTA mount that acts as a bridge and stiffens the front end. Mine came with a bag of risers, bolts and a bridge as well. If you can't find a bridge then perhaps try a BTA if you are using it for triathlon... if for TT then that wouldn't help. The bridge was a stock item supplied with the bike so there must be lots of them around somewhere!

My next change is to dump the stock pads and cups and try the TriRig Ergo ones if they fit.. if not those then something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity 16/17 fit problem: How to get more than 40mm in spacers above the base bar? [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
I have the 2017 Trinity and love it. Went to that from a 2016 Speed Concept 9.9 that I just couldn't get comfy on, I had a medium SC but am now on a small Trinity. I am running it with no spacers and swapped the stock extensions out for Zipp carbon Evo 110's. I use a Zipp BTA mount that acts as a bridge and stiffens the front end. Mine came with a bag of risers, bolts and a bridge as well. If you can't find a bridge then perhaps try a BTA if you are using it for triathlon... if for TT then that wouldn't help. The bridge was a stock item supplied with the bike so there must be lots of them around somewhere!

My next change is to dump the stock pads and cups and try the TriRig Ergo ones if they fit.. if not those then something else.

Thanks very much for sharing that detail, that BTA unit looks like a great little product, very nice solution for computer mount + structural member. I'm new, so not sure why it's not good for TT, would it not be allowed or something?
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity 16/17 fit problem: How to get more than 40mm in spacers above the base bar? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that 'official' TT's may have rules around the use of non standard equipment like a BTA cages etc but I could be wrong, I only do triathlons and live in Canada and have zero knowledge when it comes to UCI races and all that stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity 16/17 fit problem: How to get more than 40mm in spacers above the base bar? [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
I think that 'official' TT's may have rules around the use of non standard equipment like a BTA cages etc but I could be wrong, I only do triathlons and live in Canada and have zero knowledge when it comes to UCI races and all that stuff!

I’d better use the Giant bridge just in case then. But I don’t think I’ll need to worry too much unless I go to nats or worlds. I first have to win my age group, and that’s going to take some serious work.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity 16/17 fit problem: How to get more than 40mm in spacers above the base bar? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick fit update: Cockpit feels world's better, what a relief. Sourced some longer bolts online, got more 20mm spacers from Giant, added those and a bridge for stiffness, so now I've got it up to 70mm from 40mm. Also swapped out the stock S-bend aero extensions for much longer Zipp Vuka Evo 110 ski bends; now my long monkey arms actually fit and everything feels pretty neutral. I'm expecting I'll pull spacers out little by little over time as I train more in the aero position. Not sure at what point dropping the elbow pads brings diminishing returns in terms of power output and even aerodynamics, will need to learn more about that. I can breathe pretty well now, and I don't want to screw that up.

Next fit tweaks:
  1. Elbow Pads: Figuring out a more custom, locked-in elbow pad solution. Now with higher hands on the ski bends, feels like I'm only contacting the back third of the elbow pads, and it'd be great to have full contact plus shaped to my arms specifically. I've no doubt there are several threads about this, will search for one of Dan's articles and start there.
  2. Saddle: Replacing this nasty, offensive, repulsive, rude, belligerent Fizik Tritone saddle that came on the bike! :) Seriously, now that the cockpit is feeling so comfortable, it magnified just how bad this saddle fits me. I want to blow it up with C4, or take it out in a field with a bunch of friends with baseball bats like the printer in Office Space. Searching for saddle knowledge, I came across @Slowman 's saddle article (thank you, Dan!); will be trying out his recommendations. I'm a total wimp when it comes to saddles. When building my road bikes, I typically buy 3 different ones and end up with the most comfy non-hardman option which allows unobstructed pedal stroke and thigh movement. My current road race bike has a Fizik Tri 2 K1 saddle with that nice, cushiony nose, and it's one of my best purchases ever.

Here's a shot from fit testing laps on Fiesta Island yesterday. Aero helmet will fill up some space behind my head. My jersey looks loose and bunchy in the chest area...or do I need a "Bro"?! :D

https://www.youtube.com/...-6k&index=2&

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going through the armpad upgrade now as well. I just bought some Zipps and the TriRig ergo cups to try out as well, they both require some dremmelling of the bolt holes though since they don't line up directly with the stock holes but definitely a big improvement in comfort if I can get them to work and be secure. There's another thread on here specifically about this where some folks have said that profile has a cup/pad that is a direct fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
I am going through the armpad upgrade now as well. I just bought some Zipps and the TriRig ergo cups to try out as well, they both require some dremmelling of the bolt holes though since they don't line up directly with the stock holes but definitely a big improvement in comfort if I can get them to work and be secure. There's another thread on here specifically about this where some folks have said that profile has a cup/pad that is a direct fit.

Will hunt for that Profile thread, it'd be good to find something that doesn't have to be home made. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:

Cockpit is working out well, wasn't too difficult it turned out. I didn't the drop numbers the fit originally called for, just added a 20 and a 10 after sourcing hardware on Amzn (Giant doesn't have hardware long enough to use all the spacers at its max recommended stack, which is weird, but the bolts are not impossible to find). Also added the bridge, totally stable, no play, so that's good. Still 10mm shy of the max Giant said they recommend. I'll probably pull out 10 or 20mm over the next month or two. But for now, it's feeling good, breathing is good, speed is pretty good as well; doing about 1 mph avg below race pace in training with the new position on the same course, haven't done a hard effort yet. Next to figure out the Garmin positioning...

Does your Zipp BTA fit when using the Trinity hydration bottle? Seems like the bottle is lower and totally out of the way, am I seeing that right?

I tried using my SRAM TT Garmin mount, but it's too close when mounted on the round extension section, and going up the ski bends at an angle will just be a wind drag, so kind of defeats the purpose of trying to get everything set up to be aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are getting the kinks worked out, that's great. I actually haven't tried the Zipp BTA with the Giant bottle... I doubt I'll ever use the Giant bottle as i prefer normal bottles between the arms but I am going to give it a go this season and see how I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
Sounds like you are getting the kinks worked out, that's great. I actually haven't tried the Zipp BTA with the Giant bottle... I doubt I'll ever use the Giant bottle as i prefer normal bottles between the arms but I am going to give it a go this season and see how I like it.

Yep, only thing left to do with the cockpit (for now) is maybe get some Cee Gees pads to even out the fit there, and get the Garmin mount figured out. Getting the cockpit resolved amplified just how badly the stock Fizik Tritone fits me, holy cow.

I'll get the Zipp BTA and try the Giant bottle to see how it works out. The Garmin mount is most important, just so I can see it well and it's not angled, so that's taking priority.
Quote Reply

Prev Next