Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What keeps you from entering? [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D.O. wrote:
Not having an aquabike keeps me from entering. Don't understand why every race does not have this option.

But they do at every race. Just don't do the run. Is a finisher aquabike medal or podium in a tiny field worth bragging about?
Quote Reply
Re: What keeps you from entering? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No its not and that is not my reason for not entering. I should have expanded my answer. Luckily I have enough aqua bike races in my area to fill my schedule and every one of them costs less than the tri registration and because of that I have an issue with paying full freight for a race where I will only utilize 2/3 of the course and the support that comes with it. I also do not want a DNF behind my name. I believe the RD's are missing some revenue by not offering an AB
Last edited by: D.O.: Jan 27, 18 4:09
Quote Reply
Re: What keeps you from entering? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High price >$250 (Half Distance) without a good cancellation/deferral/transfer policy. Lower price I would eat if I had to, would not like it but would not keep me from signing up.

Also, anything that would require flying at the moment would be out. May change that later. Find about 9hr max drive time, but only if somebody else it going, otherwise no more than 6. Willing for the longer drive for the end of year long race (70.3 currently), and usually use it as a vacation, a shorter race (olympic) no more than 6hr drive if somebody else is going with me, otherwise no more than 4hrs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price is becoming more a factor now than in the past. Most races give you the best deal by registering several months before the race. For some races that may work but for most of the local races I look at I am signing up 3 months out or less and you end up paying 20 to 30% more. $50 to $80 is becoming the norm for local sprint races (in MN) which getting up there for around an hour of racing. Compare that to local mtn bike races that are around $25 to $30 and you can sign up week of.

A lot of races are becoming stale after years of the same thing. Participation is down which causes promoters to either skimp on amenities or increase prices or both and as an athlete I feel squeezed from both the entertainment and cost aspect.

Tri Series races seem to be disappearing and or have lost their luster because of poor execution. A couple years back a friend of mine competed in a 3 series race and won the overall series. His prize was a coffee mug from a 5k race the race director promoted the year before. (I kid you not).

We used to have the MN Tri series and there were 10 races involved. Sprints, Olys and a Half. You accumulated points for where you finished in each race you completed (up to 5 races counted) and there were bonuses for certain races. AG and got T-shirts and over all winners got free race passes for all 10 events for the following year. Other prizes were available for anyone who did 5 or more races. You could track your position after each race. Not only was it competitive it also brought many athletes together as you hung out with your competition. It helped participation in the races too as the more you raced the better your ranking. I don't understand why more race directors don't work something like this out. It would seem to be a win win...
Quote Reply
Re: What keeps you from entering? [T-Scorp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to all of you (no one in particular) i think it might be illustrative (no pun intended) to know that people in the industry feel the same way about the problems in the product that you do. we had a session at the TBI conference where the audience voiced the impediments to growth, and the solutions to it. we memorialized it all using a graphic recorder. here's the result:

probably the image is small here, you can see a larger version of it one of the home page articles.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fact that I don't get my schedule as a flight attendant until the 16th-18th of the month prior keeps me from entering. By that time, the race is full, expensive or logistically impractical to get to.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply

Prev Next