Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TTE / FTP Question [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol

Do any of these not reflect reality ?

"When power exceeds CP20, fatigue will occur much sooner, whereas power just below CP20 can be maintained considerably longer."
"When power exceeds CP40, fatigue will occur much sooner, whereas power just below CP40 can be maintained considerably longer."
"When power exceeds CP60, fatigue will occur much sooner, whereas power just below CP60 can be maintained considerably longer."
"When power exceeds CP120, fatigue will occur much sooner, whereas power just below CP120 can be maintained considerably longer."

I've ridden enough 10's to know already :) And 15's and 50's and 30's and 5's...

Definitely nothing special about 25TT pace. Anyway, I do believe we are going around in circles. We'll have to agree to differ.
Quote Reply
Re: TTE / FTP Question [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FTP is a power meter based estimation of the point we see in the physiology reflecting concepts such as lactate threshold, oxygenation threshold derived from near-infrared spectroscopy, ventilatory threshold, Critical Power, MLSS and even the Conconi test.

All intensities don't have the same features. Their mix of energy supply will differ and this will influence training and what events a rider should target.

As mentioned before this sort of stuff is very basic for time trials. Where the utility of a well constructed power duration curve comes in handy is for more complex events like track racing, criterium's, road races, undulating time trials and as we saw in the Giro stage races.

This sort of assessment is the start of the process. But then Andy does keep saying "the map is not the territory".

Hamish

paull wrote:
BTW I don't have a particular affinity to whether a threshold exists or not in terms of lab data - Noakes says no, others say yes. I just think its time people stopped claiming that "FTP" is some kind of special intensity where you can naturally pedal away until the cows come home and its so absolutely noticeable that almost any rider can ride at it on demand.. All intensities have the same features and any rider can ride at 10 pace, 25 pace or 50 pace on demand and get it roughly right every time - they are not likely to get 25 pace more right than 50 pace or 10 pace and AC's quoted study above where he claims this is demonstrated - it absolutely does not demonstrate this whatsoever since they only tested one intensity - other intensities would have given the same finding.

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Re: TTE / FTP Question [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwicoach wrote:
Functional Threshold Power is an estimate of the point where we transition from using a mix of carbohydrate and fat to solely using our finite CHO stores. This point is observable when doing ramp tests or the MLSS test.

MLSS is better estimate of this true threshold point than a ramp test although you can observe the transition using lactate, heart rate, NIRS, and expired gas analysis.

Because of the issues with performing ramp tests, where we see a lot of guessing where the inflection point is, if not obvious, and the challenge that performing tests in the lab is not specific to where we actually perform. Plus, the costs and logistics of doing lab test. Also, our physiology changes very rapidly, so, metrics determined from a test have a very short period of usefulness.

So we estimate threshold power from data from the bike in the field. Not just the FTP, but peak power (PMAX), sprint power (PMAX/FRC), track time trial power (FRC), track pursuit power (FRC/FTP) and time trial power (FTP) and long term power (Stamina). To help us plan our training and to teach riders to learn what performance at a given level looks like.

A good summary of the most important points. Whilst a headline number is nice to bragg about and/or track progress, the important part is to establish appropriate training levels to elicit the desired physiological adaptations. To me, MLSS seems a very relevant point on the curve to establish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
paull wrote:
So then you must agree that this statement is misleading:

"When power exceeds FTP, fatigue will occur much sooner, whereas power just below FTP can be maintained considerably longer."

Because,

"When power exceeds CP20, fatigue will occur much sooner, whereas power just below CP20 can be maintained considerably longer."
"When power exceeds CP40, fatigue will occur much sooner, whereas power just below CP40 can be maintained considerably longer."
"When power exceeds CP60, fatigue will occur much sooner, whereas power just below CP60 can be maintained considerably longer."
"When power exceeds CP120, fatigue will occur much sooner, whereas power just below CP120 can be maintained considerably longer."

No, it is not misleading, as it is an accurate description of reality.

Again, try sustaining a power measurably above vs. below your FTP for as long as you can, then report back to everyone here.
Perhaps these guys should head over to an electrical engineering forum and start arguing that silicon diodes don't exhibit a voltage threshold at around .7V. The VI curve of a diode is strikingly similar to the maximum power duration curve of a cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deleted
Last edited by: paull: Jun 14, 18 23:43
Quote Reply
Re: TTE / FTP Question [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

With all that said, there clearly are a few "perceptual idiots" in the world.

<offending remark in response removed - apology noted>

You do know what Andy was referring to?
That while many are able to self regulate to a threshold intensity pretty well, a minority don’t do so well at it.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Last edited by: AlexS: Jun 15, 18 16:59
Quote Reply
Re: TTE / FTP Question [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deleted...

My apologies. I did get that wrong
Last edited by: paull: Jun 14, 18 23:52
Quote Reply
Re: TTE / FTP Question [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is interesting, to me, is that at a certain intensity, the working muscles will desaturate. They can not get enough oxygen from the blood, oxygen saturation will drop and anaerobic metabolism will have to dump metabolites into the bloodstream faster than we can get rid of them. It does not matter that one can go a little harder if one does not have to go on for as long, what is interesting is this physiological fact. Why? Because desaturation will drive adaptation!

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: TTE / FTP Question [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwicoach wrote:
Functional Threshold Power is an estimate of the point where we transition from using a mix of carbohydrate and fat to solely using our finite CHO stores. This point is observable when doing ramp tests or the MLSS test.

Is this true?

I always understood that fat metabolism was a relatively constant background rate with maybe a dip in total energy per hour above FTP, but not a complete shutdown. I thought that the point of the FTP/LT was that greater and greater PERCENTAGE of energy supply was coming from higher availability sources (muscle / liver glycogen, anaerobic CHO) which have limited supply and greater lactate byproducts. However, as long as CHO was available, fat metabolism would continue to contribute in the background (again, perhaps at a reduced level, eg: 300 cal / hr down to 200-150 cal / hr...just no ZERO).

Maybe this is this the point where we BEGIN to transition to lower absolute fat contribution (and ultimately reach zero for a 30s effort or something)?
Quote Reply
Re: TTE / FTP Question [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Difficult question to explicitly answer, since substrate oxidation also depends on diet, duration, etc. Hyperventilation at high exercise intensities can also undermine the validity of RER as a quantitative measure of fat vs. carbohydrate oxidation.

That said, some studies have indeed use RER = 1.00 to estimate "threshold" during incremental exercise tests, just as Hamish indicated (although at the same time, many years ago Larry Spriet published data showing mobilization of IMTG stores even during intense electrical stimulation of isolated rat muscle).

TL; DR: As with all such things, it's complicated. If you are only interested in getting faster, it's probably best to ignore such details and just get on with your training.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jun 15, 18 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Difficult question to explicitly answer, since substrate oxidation also depends on diet, duration, etc. Hyperventilation at high exercise intensities can also undermine the validity of RER as a quantitative measure of fat vs. carbohydrate oxidation.

That said, some studies have indeed use RER = 1.00 to estimate "threshold" during incremental exercise tests, just as Hamish indicated (although at the same time, many years ago Larry Spriet published data showing mobilization of IMTG stores even during intense electrical stimulation of isolated rat muscle).

TL; DR: As with all such things, it's complicated. If you are only interested in getting faster, it's probably best to ignore such details and just get on with your training.

If I could simply train all the time....that's what I'd do, and I wouldn't be on ST much. Unfortunately, recovery leaves lots of time for pondering these things--and, I like understanding things. At 50 I seem to have more recovery time. I'm okay with complicated...I'm also ok with "in general <blah blah blah>, but there are lots of variations."

RER=??

IMTG = intra-muscular triglycerides?

ETA: I'm also ok with a pointer to a few studies that you think validly demonstrate the situation.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 15, 18 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: TTE / FTP Question [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

If I could simply train all the time....that's what I'd do, and I wouldn't be on ST much. Unfortunately, recovery leaves lots of time for pondering these things--and, I like understanding things. At 50 I seem to have more recovery time. I'm okay with complicated...I'm also ok with "in general <blah blah blah>, but there are lots of variations."

RER=??

IMTG = intra-muscular triglycerides?

ETA: I'm also ok with a pointer to a few studies that you think validly demonstrate the situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...atory_exchange_ratio

The respiratory exchange ratio (RER) is the ratio between the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) produced in metabolism and oxygen (O2) used.[1]
The ratio is determined by comparing exhaled gases to room air. Measuring this ratio can be used for estimating the respiratory quotient (RQ), an indicator of which fuel (carbohydrate or fat) is being metabolized to supply the body with energy. This estimation is only valid if metabolism is in a steady state

Oxidation of a carbohydrate molecule

Oxidation of a fatty acid molecule

Last edited by: paull: Jun 16, 18 4:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next