Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sick like a dog [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought this thread was about an STD :/ - glad you are feeling better!
+1 on pedialite
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recover rather fast, which is a good thing. Currently on the bike on Zwift
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had for 3 weeks now, with first week bad, but still blowing my nose a bunch for nearly 2 weeks. I am older fart so don't recover well plus had tonsils adenoids yanked when young so I think that impacts my immune system...get sore throats at drop of hat.

Supposed to start serious training for st. Anthony's so that's looking doubtful now. No flu shot. One positive is piriformis feeling much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have evidence supporting this point of view?

I hear it repeated often that training while sick can make it worse or, "can to a lot more long term damage." I have never seen anything that actually supports this. //

I trained and raced sick and damaged my heart and now I have a pacemaker. No doubt about the cause and effect, it was one after the other. And I know of many of my contemporaries who did the same thing with similar results. Now of course there were not easy training days, and the racing of course speaks for itself, but I'm sure there is also an amount of just too long training that might get the same bad results..
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Monty and All,

I am in your camp on this ... although there is evidence that 'moderate' exercise can be beneficial ... whereas 'prolonged, intense' exercise is detrimental.

I generally subscribe to the old .... 'yes ..... to exercise with a viral or bacterial infection above the neck' .... no ..... to exercise when infection below the neck' ... with the risk of a below the neck infection spreading to the heart (or other organs) for permanent damage because of reduced immune function.

Also .... that is coupled with the general idea that if I don't feel like exercising I probably won't. My body is telling me something and I best listen.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2803113/

Abstract
"Prolonged, intense exercise causes immunosuppression, while moderate intensity exercise improves immune function and potentially reduces risk and severity of respiratory viral infection. Here, based upon available evidence, we present a model whereby moderate exercise-induced increases in stress hormones reduce excessive local inflammation and skew the immune response away from a Th1 and towards a Th2 phenotype, thus improving outcomes following respiratory viral infection."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s funny. I had fallen and injured my kneecap on New Year’s Day. By Jan. 3, it wasn’t much better so I went to urgent care to get it x-rayed. The minute I got in there, surrounded by a Dante’s inferno of sick people wearing masks and holding barf bags, I could hear them retching in the gender-neutral bathrooms, I got sick myself. I threw up before I got in to be x-rayed, and continued to be sick for the rest of the day. Lost three pounds over the next several days. Usually, it takes a long run-up for me to be sick to my stomach, but this came on super-quick.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, please don‘t train while sick/ill. Just google myokarditis and cardiomyopathy and heart insufficiency and read how you can really do long term irreversible damage to your heart. Even 1–2 weeks of Not Training don‘t matter if you in turn not risk getting myocarditits!!!

In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [bentus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long should you wait to train after having a chest infection?
I'm more than 3 wks post feeling crappy but still have occasional cough with junk in the A.m.
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd give it some more time.....work on mobility, core, any spots that show up when training peaks....I use Hrv monitor to help me know when system says go.
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlw2000 wrote:
First case of the flu in my life the last week. Can't sleep more than 2 hours due to coughing. Then I also have pink eye at same time!!! Still doing low power riding on my trainer. This shit won't stop me.

Last time I had the flu I also got pink eye and a sinus infection. The sinus infection gave me wicked nosebleeds - with the pink eye and blood all over my face, on top of the general deathly flu pallor, I looked like something from a horror movie.

If you can get your hands on Tylenol 1, or mersyndal, the codeine might stop your cough long enough for you to sleep. The pseudo ephedrine in cough syrup with codeine keeps me up, but Tylenol 1 works.
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need some purple drank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Yikes, my fluids left me quickly all last night. I feel better but still cant run. Fcuk you stomach virus.
But on the plus side... you're getting a jump on raceweight for the season.

Hope you feel better soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran twice today and rode. Yeah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 12 for me. Started with a need for sleep and inability to stay focused. Then a cough...which would wake me up all night. Body tired and ached. That lasted for about 7 days. Since then, I have felt about 85%....but something is still lingering. Working out (can definitely feel fatigue...especially swimming), and cough finally departed in the last 48 hours.....but I still get phlegmy after I eat and I am still sleeping 10-12 hours a night. It has been (knock on wood) a long time since I have been ill....but the crud going around appears to want to stick around. It sucks, but thankful I do not have the flu.
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boo, mine was simply a nasty stomach thing. In and out. :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
going on week 3 with the coughing..... it was getting old 2 weeks ago
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:

Too many words, try this

Cold in the head? Get outta bed
Cold in the chest? Get your rest

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cold in the head? Get outta bed
Cold in the chest? Get your rest

+1

Hey .... I am feeling frustrated at not getting much done and most every time I try to talk I cough ...

It is kinda low grade now with no temp .... but still do not feel like tearing phone books in half (Yeah ... I know .... what's a 'phone book'?)

Be glad when this is over.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
Really? I work in health care. Haven't had the flu in over 10 years and never miss the flu shot. The docs around here are the 1st ones to roll up their sleeves. Including critical care docs. Most health care workers believe in flu shots.
I understand the flu shot this year isn't nearly as effective as hoped but they say if you do get it, the course will likely be less severe and recovery is quicker.
Big believer here.

+1. Absolutely.

And only 43% efficacy means "flip a coin?" I don't get it.

I work with the public -- direct care -- every day. If I can reduce the risk of passing the flu on to others by 43% I'm not going to hesitate for a second.

yes indeed. The concept of herd immunity needs better marketing..
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
But on the plus side... you're getting a jump on raceweight for the season.

Well, you laugh about that, but the last time I had the flu (early 2011) I was sick as a dog for a week and lost 4kg or so which I managed to keep off for the whole season. I'm still trying to get back to that weight. Maybe I should find a flu patient and get myself infected.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to be a total buzzkill, but what were the circumstances surrounding Steven Larsen's unfortunate fate?
Quote Reply
Re: Sick like a dog [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't know what led up to that fateful day for Steve. It would be a guess on my part but I bet that there were some things he threw into the basket before doing those quarters on the track where he just dropped dead. Unfortunately we will probably never know because he paid the ultimate price for sport and the why is just not a high priority to the family or friends once you are gone in an instant.

It is the survivors like me where you get some good info, I want to know exactly what led up to my heart episode so that I dont repeat it. So I have gone over that time in my head with a fine tooth comb, and have grilled others in my situation or similar in regards to their lead ups...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horrible fever again! Second time in 6 wks. Doctor sent me home with tamiflu but not convinced it's the flu.
Quote Reply

Prev Next