Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SCOTUS Exit Watch: Bader-Ginsburg, Kennedy or Sotomayor?
Quote | Reply
The Notorious RBG is pretty old (okay, very old). Ditto Anthony Kennedy. And up pops Sonia Sotomayor, who had to call paramedics to treat her for low blood sugar this morning, and she's suffered since childhood from Type 1 diabetes.

So who's going to exit the Supreme Court first, either through retirement or through ummm... more permanent and eternal means?

My money's on Anthony Kennedy after this current SCOTUS term ends in June. Ruth Bader-Ginsburg has indicated already that she has no plans to leave through at least 2020 (can you guess why? ;-).

I also don't see Sonia Sotomayor exiting the court via retirement anytime soon, and several other Justices are older than her by a good stretch.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: SCOTUS Exit Watch: Bader-Ginsburg, Kennedy or Sotomayor? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect Kennedy will retire and his seat will be filled with a conservative with the potential to have a SCOTUS career of 20+ years. RBG is pretty old but I suspect her hatred for Trump will keep her alive.

However, as you implied, most of the justices are older and it's just a natural outcome that older people are more likely to have a health complication and/or die.
Quote Reply
Re: SCOTUS Exit Watch: Bader-Ginsburg, Kennedy or Sotomayor? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's going to be Kennedy. Sotomayor isn't going anywhere. RBG will likely die in office. While I do not agree with her politics, I admire her gumption.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: SCOTUS Exit Watch: Bader-Ginsburg, Kennedy or Sotomayor? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
It's going to be Kennedy. Sotomayor isn't going anywhere. RBG will likely die in office. While I do not agree with her politics, I admire her gumption.

Yeah, they'll have to carry the Notorious RBG out on a stretcher, rigor-locked hand holding a gavel. The only way Sotomayor exits early is if she suffers some sort of fatal issue from her diabetes. There are plenty of Justices older than Sotomayor, as we've observed, but none of them have indicated any sort of desire to retire.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The RBG just hired SC clerks for the 2020 year. She’s going no where, except to the gym to work out (like she has been doing for many years).

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: SCOTUS Exit Watch: Bader-Ginsburg, Kennedy or Sotomayor? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
The RBG just hired SC clerks for the 2020 year. She’s going no where, except to the gym to work out (like she has been doing for many years).

Heh. Like I said, they'll have to drag her corpse out of her chambers by her ankles before she'll leave, at least while that guy in the White House is still in the White House. And even at that, she'll probably have a death grip on a desk leg or something. ;-)

Quote Reply