Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any Chevy Volt Owners?
Quote | Reply
Wife is looking at a new car, she is not a fan of our Mazda CX-5, I'm pretty sure we got a lemon as it has had several issues. Anyways, she rather have a sedan vs a small SUV. We are probably going to look at another car in the next 6-12 months.

Anyone have a Volt? Looks like there has been massive improvements since they first came out and boy do they depreciate!! Local dealer only has a 2012 with 40k miles. Asking 12 grand. Looks like the 2017 model improved dramatically vs the early models.

Main questions are on reliability, size (we got car seats in the back), winter driving, and how to charge the battery. For the most part she wouldn't use it for more than say 20 miles at a time. Maybe once and a while an 1-2 hour car ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Chevy Volt Owners? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a volt (2013 model I think) and liked it. Had no mechanical issues and the car drove well. Good commuter car. Charging is easy. It really does charge like a toaster or most other electronic devices. A 220 outlet will charge faster, but a 120 is fine. Range is a non-factor due to the gas powered generator. If average drives are 20 miles or so, trips to the gas station will become rare.

The car only realistically seats 4 however and I have a family of 5. Worked for me while the kids were little but we outgrew it. Car seats are no problem.

Overall my experience was positive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
..winter driving..

They suck in the snow. Like really bad. Guy at work had a 2014. When it snowed I normally gave him a ride, and I was driving a Miata some of those days.

If my Miata does better and is safer in the snow than a Volt then a Volt must really suck.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should PM Ianpeace and tell him to take a look at this thread. Think he had the 5th original volt off the line, and has since had another one. He could tell you every good/bad thing there is to this car. Probably hardly anyone has a longer history with that particular car..
Quote Reply
Re: Any Chevy Volt Owners? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
..winter driving..

They suck in the snow. Like really bad. Guy at work had a 2014. When it snowed I normally gave him a ride, and I was driving a Miata some of those days.

If my Miata does better and is safer in the snow than a Volt then a Volt must really suck.

Err. yeah that is really bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Chevy Volt Owners? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll reach out to him.

As far as chargers go, there is a local grocery store that offers 'free' charging while you shop. To bad they are way overpriced and I would rather go to Aldi.

I'll have to see how it is to install the charger at home. We have a newer home, and I might be able to hook it up myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you needed snow tires. Or your friend does not know how to drive in the snow.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Any Chevy Volt Owners? [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
Maybe you needed snow tires. Or your friend does not know how to drive in the snow.

drn92

Snow tires on a Miata? With Brembo Brakes and soft compound high performance racing tires?

Sacrilege - You should wash your mouth out with soap for even suggesting such a thing.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
drn92 wrote:

drn92

Snow tires on a Miata? With Brembo Brakes and soft compound high performance racing tires?

Sacrilege - You should wash your mouth out with soap for even suggesting such a thing.

On the Volt ...

I grew up in northern Utah with a ‘69 Datsun 2000 as my daily driver ... it is a wonder that I am still here. Probably why my next car was a Dodge Aries K car.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
drn92 wrote:

drn92

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
..winter driving..

Guy must not know how to drive, one of the best winter driving cars I have had, made even better by winter tires. The battery gives it a very low CG, fun car to drive hard around corners very little body role.

Been driving one in Michigan winters for 5 yrs. Prefer to drive it over some of our other cars in the winter. 2 yrs ago drove 2 1/2 hrs each way to see my daughter play in the state VB championship. By the end of the night we had a State Champion and 11" of fresh snow on the ground. the 2 1/2 hr drive home took 4hrs cars and trucks spun out but never felt out of control.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Wife is looking at a new car, she is not a fan of our Mazda CX-5, I'm pretty sure we got a lemon as it has had several issues. Anyways, she rather have a sedan vs a small SUV. We are probably going to look at another car in the next 6-12 months.

Anyone have a Volt? Looks like there has been massive improvements since they first came out and boy do they depreciate!! Local dealer only has a 2012 with 40k miles. Asking 12 grand. Looks like the 2017 model improved dramatically vs the early models.

Main questions are on reliability, size (we got car seats in the back), winter driving, and how to charge the battery. For the most part she wouldn't use it for more than say 20 miles at a time. Maybe once and a while an 1-2 hour car ride.

Worked on the development of the Volt, on my 2nd lease of one right now. Have a 220V charger installed, can pretty much tel you anything you want to know. LOVE the car.

2nd gen has some improvements but the gen 1 is a great car (both mine have been Gen 1's) the big improvement is bigger battery for longer range, and improved HVAC controls.

IM me any questions I can give you my email if you want. Great forum with lots of users all over the country so they can help on more local issues. http://gm-volt.com/forum/forum.php

220v 30A outlet in garage and get a Clipper Creek charger, they are well regarded but lots of other options also. 220V takes 4 hrs from empty to full.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Chevy Volt Owners? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why the LR rocks. Got experts on everything.

Ill let you know we are just in the dreaming/idea stages right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Chevy Volt Owners? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update:

Wife and I gave the kids to the grandparents for the weekend. I convinced my wife to test drive the local volt for sale. Two big take aways

1) Holy power batman! That think accelerates very nicely. That would be a fun one to drive.
2) SMALL. My wife drove a corolla before her current SUV, and this is smaller. If I was bigger than 5'9, my head would be touching the ceiling, but that isn't the issue. The thing was super narrow! She really wasn't sold on the size. If it was a bit bigger, than I think she would be really interested.

Thank you all for the help!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Any Chevy Volt Owners? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
1) Holy power batman! That think accelerates very nicely. That would be a fun one to drive.

Yeah the Volt only uses the engine to power a generator for replenishing the battery. The electric motors push the car forward and those have instant 100% torque, and a lot of it. The current Volt is 149hp and 294lb-ft of torque. Compare that to something with a similar horsepower - the Subaru Crosstrek - 152hp / 145lb-ft of torque, and you can see why electric cars accelerate the way they do.

Technically not how I understand it. At speeds above 70mph, the gas engine provides thrust (in addition to the electric motors) to the wheels.

Also, the on board engine does not charge the batteries, it only provides electricity to the 2 electric motors.

Totally splitting hairs...
Quote Reply