Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Basebar/Aerobar recommendations
Quote | Reply
Hello! long time reader first time poster headed Cleveland for his second crack at nationals. No full or 1/2 IM dreams, just a short course guy looking to break the magic hour barrier.

I have a 2015 CD0.1 with a super basic round tube basebar and clip on aerobars. I was about 30 seconds off an hour 40k last year and have been hitting trainer road HARD this winter! To compliment my increased power I want to become a bit more aero efficient so I'm looking for some basic recommendations.

I'm running a 130mm -17 degree stem so that is really going to limit my options, as is my hope to come in around 500 bucks for parts only. Stem-wise I'm already sold on the PD (non-ultimate) Aeria stem as it is about the only reasonably priced aero-stem at the 130 length I need.

Now what Bar? I'm looking at the PD Aeria T4 Alloy and the Felt Bayonet 3 with a price stretch possibility of a 3t Vola Team but at over 500 on its own it's not the likely winner.

I need to be able to tip the extensions up without being forced to roll the winged basebar up as well, does anyone know if any of these cockpits can accomplish this? Do you have any other recommendations that would fall within my price and setup needs? Are either of these 2 setups appreciably faster than a round tube setup?

Yes, I have a wheel cover. Yes, I have a Giro Aerohead on order. No, I do not have a sleeved suit as I need to wait for warmer weather so the shops have stock to try some things on. No bottles on the down tube or the seat tube either. Am I missing something obviously aero efficient?
Quote Reply
Re: New Basebar/Aerobar recommendations [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BuildingSpeed wrote:
Hello! long time reader first time poster headed Cleveland for his second crack at nationals. No full or 1/2 IM dreams, just a short course guy looking to break the magic hour barrier.

I have a 2015 CD0.1 with a super basic round tube basebar and clip on aerobars. I was about 30 seconds off an hour 40k last year and have been hitting trainer road HARD this winter! To compliment my increased power I want to become a bit more aero efficient so I'm looking for some basic recommendations.

I'm running a 130mm -17 degree stem so that is really going to limit my options, as is my hope to come in around 500 bucks for parts only. Stem-wise I'm already sold on the PD (non-ultimate) Aeria stem as it is about the only reasonably priced aero-stem at the 130 length I need.

Now what Bar? I'm looking at the PD Aeria T4 Alloy and the Felt Bayonet 3 with a price stretch possibility of a 3t Vola Team but at over 500 on its own it's not the likely winner.

I need to be able to tip the extensions up without being forced to roll the winged basebar up as well, does anyone know if any of these cockpits can accomplish this? Do you have any other recommendations that would fall within my price and setup needs? Are either of these 2 setups appreciably faster than a round tube setup?

Yes, I have a wheel cover. Yes, I have a Giro Aerohead on order. No, I do not have a sleeved suit as I need to wait for warmer weather so the shops have stock to try some things on. No bottles on the down tube or the seat tube either. Am I missing something obviously aero efficient?

I went with a PRO Missile alloy basebar. brake cables exit very cleanly, and flat grips mean not much frontal area. I think they look a bit nicer than the Felt or Profile equivalents.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New Basebar/Aerobar recommendations [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BuildingSpeed wrote:

I went with a PRO Missile alloy basebar. brake cables exit very cleanly, and flat grips mean not much frontal area. I think they look a bit nicer than the Felt or Profile equivalents.

+1 on the Pro Missile Alloy... one of my go-to recommendations for people on a budget

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I'd steer clear of the PD Aeria stem. My bars collapsed every single race, regardless of torque and grip paste, and I know I'm not the only one (one race I was right next to someone else whose bars had collapsed on the same stem).

For bars on a budget the USE Tulas are king, but if you don't like the pods the the Bayonet 3 (or the KCNC copy) are fine.
Quote Reply
Re: New Basebar/Aerobar recommendations [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BuildingSpeed wrote:

+1 on the Pro Missile Alloy... one of my go-to recommendations for people on a budget

x3.. great basebar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Felt IA FRD on my CD0.1 that I really like.

As for aero stuff, are you using latex tubes?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Basebar/Aerobar recommendations [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An IA FRD is a frame...are you talking about the bayonet 3 aerobar?
Quote Reply
Re: New Basebar/Aerobar recommendations [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops I meany to say the baseband off an IA FRD. I think its called IA Dagger.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from a 17 degree 130 mm to a 7
6 degree 120 mm stem.
It gives almost exactly the same reach but brings my base down more than a inch.
Might do you good, it did for me. Got PD T4 aero bars with a 20 mm riser.
If you buy smart you can go under $500 total for a stem, base bar, PD aero bars with risers.
I understand your struggle I think, you're probably tall like me.
What bike size do you ride? There may be gains to be had in saddle position.

NO
Last edited by: Alabama Viking: Jan 18, 18 17:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the new stem? Sounds like your position is fine. One stem isn’t going to make a difference from another (and as previously stated, it could be worse).
Quote Reply
Re: New Basebar/Aerobar recommendations [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
BuildingSpeed wrote:

x3.. great basebar.

X4. Pro missile alloy base bar with your choice of clip on. Got mine for $50 and is probably competitive in terms of aero with setups costing way more.

Profile aeria alloy is nice but expensive.

Why do you need to roll the extensions up? With the right extension choice (zipp evos are great, or a reversed ski bend) there really shouldnt be a need to roll them up.
Quote Reply
Re: New Basebar/Aerobar recommendations [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
I went from a 17 degree 130 mm to a 7
6 degree 120 mm stem.
It gives almost exactly the same reach but brings my base down more than a inch.

76 degree? I'm sure there is a typo, but I would definitely be open to lowering my basebar to pedestal my extensions.

Karl.n wrote:
Why the new stem? Sounds like your position is fine. One stem isn’t going to make a difference from another (and as previously stated, it could be worse).

I figure if I'm buying a new cockpit the stem is all part of it. I'm doing this to find, in all likelihood, very marginal aero gains so a stem is absolutely on the table.

davidalone wrote:
X4. Pro missile alloy base bar with your choice of clip on. Got mine for $50 and is probably competitive in terms of aero with setups costing way more.

Profile aeria alloy is nice but expensive.

Why do you need to roll the extensions up? With the right extension choice (zipp evos are great, or a reversed ski bend) there really shouldnt be a need to roll them up.

I know I can get a clip on compatible basebar for cheap but I wanted a more integrated solution without spending close to, or past, $1k for a carbon wunderbar. Pedestal mounted extensions are within reach if I stay away from carbon so I want to go that route. Why tip the extensions? I like it. It's comfy that way and I thought hiding the chest behind hands, extensions, BTA bottles and a dropped and turtled head was the best practice as of right now?

I like my fit and it seems fast. I haven't been willing to throw myself into the fire but it may be time to upload a video and some photos of my fit. I really appreciate all the feedback I have received so far. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 degree! And it may not be needed, but changing stem could give you different base options, that might work better, and the $25 for a riser set isn't that bad

NO
Quote Reply