Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Liar or stupid [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I'm familiar with the exchange, but I'd forgotten about the "...I imagine that is the case." I also heard quite a bit of stammering prior to that answer, which given her otherwise articulate testimony suggests to me that she wasn't comfortable claiming that knowledge which I'm certain she possesses on the matter.

If asked whether I knew that Nigeria is a "predominantly black country" my answer is "Yes, or at least I presume that to be the case." It wouldn't be to deny that fairly basic knowledge as the foundation of my understanding.

Call that what you will, I guess.

I don't think there's any question that we will need to agree to disagree here. And I respect your position. You may very well be right. There may have been malice intent to lie in this answer.

I absolutely concede the stammering that preceeded the answer. You and I see the reason for it differently. I believe she was coached about where Leahy was eventually taking his line of questioning. I believe he got flummoxed by her initial answer and blurted out the second question. I think it caught her off guard how blatently he was trying to draw the conclusion that this was all racist intented. I think she was talking as she was thinking of a response. She began by stammering, then threw out some form of how she had been coached to never get pushed into a definitive and incriminating answer and then caught herself without pause and (from my perspective) confirmed his position with the part you had forgotten about.

That's my belief. I respect yours is different. I respect that you believe she intentionally set out to lie about this particular piece of testimony.

Presuming for a minute that I take your position and believe that she intentionally lied about her knowledge of the makeup of the population of Norway.......to what end? What purpose was served. And why the add on at the end that you had forgotten about?

I recognize that we can both sit here in our comfy chairs and answer what we would have said if the question were posed to us, in this setting, in the manner it was posed. You would have forth-rightly and full throatedly said yes (and then it looks like basically say the same thing she ultimately said). I have stated that in my perfectly world I would have been so clever as to continue to stone wall him with asking what he meant by Norway (a country) being predominantly white and then when he got around to making it about the actual population turn the question around on him as to relevance.

But the fact is we don't know what our response would be. Because we are both human. As is she. The difference between you and I is how we choose to decide what her reaction was.

You believe it was with malice intent to lie to presumably protect herself and others including Donald Trump. Correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Liar or stupid [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this woman was a uva law graduate and georgetown foreign service major.

chris wallace interviewed her before senate hearing and also wondered out loud how she could not have heard the president's comment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzzXCD2Qj0

about 6 minute mark
Quote Reply
Re: Liar or stupid [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You believe it was with malice intent to lie to presumably protect herself and others including Donald Trump. Correct? //

Of course she was trying to protect Trump, just like the senators who saw nothing, heard nothing and stories changed as this thing blew up. Do you suppose she does not support Trump? And of course Norway was in the front of everyones mind at this moment because it was the non shithole country Trump wanted more people to immigrate from. So I think the second she heard the word Norway it triggered an alarm bell in her head, just like you said but for different reasons. Because Norway was tied to shithole, she had to take a moment and process exactly what was being asked of her, why, and how would Trump feel about the answer and how would it make her look in his eyes, and the the country at large. She had a lot going on in those seconds.

You could actually see the wheels spinning in her head at warp speed and her first response was to buy some milliseconds to evaluate all the other calculations going on in her head, without committing to anything in particular Then she made a decision that it would probably be ok to admit that Norway was presumably mostly white. This was just not about Norway, and she certainly had to think it was going to lead back to the shithole remarks she heard but couldn't quite remember.

She was just trying not to be painted into a corner, and she did about as good as one could expect with arrows coming from all directions, but she absolutely was trying not to infuriate Trump..
Quote Reply
Re: Liar or stupid [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

And that's what we should all do under oath testifying to Congress. Try not to infuriate our boss, even if it means lying.

(Last bit was sarcasm for those wondering, because around here you never know...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
You believe it was with malice intent to lie to presumably protect herself and others including Donald Trump. Correct? //

Of course she was trying to protect Trump, just like the senators who saw nothing, heard nothing and stories changed as this thing blew up. Do you suppose she does not support Trump? And of course Norway was in the front of everyones mind at this moment because it was the non shithole country Trump wanted more people to immigrate from. So I think the second she heard the word Norway it triggered an alarm bell in her head, just like you said but for different reasons. Because Norway was tied to shithole, she had to take a moment and process exactly what was being asked of her, why, and how would Trump feel about the answer and how would it make her look in his eyes, and the the country at large. She had a lot going on in those seconds.

You could actually see the wheels spinning in her head at warp speed and her first response was to buy some milliseconds to evaluate all the other calculations going on in her head, without committing to anything in particular Then she made a decision that it would probably be ok to admit that Norway was presumably mostly white. This was just not about Norway, and she certainly had to think it was going to lead back to the shithole remarks she heard but couldn't quite remember.

She was just trying not to be painted into a corner, and she did about as good as one could expect with arrows coming from all directions, but she absolutely was trying not to infuriate Trump..

thanks for your opinion. I have appreciated it both times in this thread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you assessment is spot on.

As I said/implied earlier, I don't think this is anything to remotely be outraged about. A senator is being questioned ,put in an uncomfortable position, and had to reach for an answer that wouldn't get her in too much trouble. That's pretty par for the course, and pretty savy for any politician. This is a non issue.

Its when people give us the, "weellllllll, you see its really not a lie......blah blah blah...." excuses. There's a lot to apologize for in the Trump administration. They should just admit this one, say that everyone else does it, and move on.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Liar or stupid [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Did you mean to reply to someone else? Since you quoted me I'm guessing not, but your statement seems to completely ignore my first sentence. I'm not arguing anything about her response. I'm calling BS on those like Rick who claim to be educated and talk as if they know anything about world affairs, but say they had no clue Norway was predominantly white. Utter nonsense.

Are you talking about this? "I only knew that because I learned it from Trump. See, not only is he a fabulous president, but he is teaching his citizen children. "

That was totally tongue-in-cheek. I thought it would be obvious.

Yeah, my bad. Completely went over my head. For some reason I took it to be serious while belittling.
Quote Reply
Re: Liar or stupid [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
OP goes back to his cave but alas two more standard bearers appear in the form of TimeIsUp and Barry. It's like whack a mole around here.

Reading comprehension. It's your friend. You obviously don't even know what I'm arguing. And if you would like to make that point, please quote me.
Quote Reply
Re: Liar or stupid [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries. I'm glad we cleared it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Liar or stupid [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woohoo! We're standard bearers!

These guys are really, really, really dumb. "But she said she IMAGINED that they'd be full of white people." AHha! Busted!

Interestingly both Trevor Noah and Seth Meyers played the full quote on their shows, and they didn't crawl back into any holes. The resident dittoheads don't even know what a compelling argument is, so they have to look for clues, like a missing piece of a sentence because they can't actually read what the missing piece is and realize that it doesn't make a difference.

Trump is a horrible, horrible president with record low approval ratings, yet he still has a loyal base that he is totally scamming.

Quote Reply
Re: Liar or stupid [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Trump is a horrible, horrible president with record low approval ratings, yet he still has a loyal base that he is totally scamming.
-
meh, I think Trump is a horrible person, with mixed results as president. How do you think he is scamming his base?
Quote Reply
Re: Liar or stupid [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the interest of fairness, I may have overstated that. It is difficult to get into the mind of a Trump supporter.

Here's a list of how he is doing on his promises:

http://www.politifact.com/.../trumpometer/browse/

He's actually not doing so bad (from his base's perspective), but it all depends on how you look at it.

If a Trump supporter actually cares about all of the social/diplomatic/immigration issues, and is okay with deficit spending and giving huge tax breaks to multi billionaires, while they, the Trump supporters, get $50/month in their pockets, then he would truly be doing a good job in their minds.

I have the hardest time believing that that is what they really want. I would wager that its something that he talked them into, much like a used car salesman talks you into a bad deal, but you still drive away convinced you really got a good deal. You then get home and tell the wife, "Yeah, and he saved me $50 a month and there weren't any immigrants working there either!" Wife says, "But honey, I'm looking at this lease and it says in 4 years your payments will go up, and you are going to owe the bank a lot of money. And, ultimately, it looks like the car dealer is going to make a ton of money off of this." "Did I mention the part where I said he doesn't hire immigrants?"

Quote Reply
Re: Liar or stupid [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched some of that deposition and Neilson's responses

Whether it's liar or stupid is hard to know. The former would be perjury, yes?

I will say this, that it takes a special kind of "talent", to look and sound totally competent, professional and truly believable, when you are being that shifty, subversive, and potentially being dishonest and/or lying!

Lance Armstrong came across like that. Yes there were many, who would not be convinced, by what he was saying and the act he was putting up, but their were millions and millions of people who did, and number of companies that kept paying him BIG money, and kept believing in him as the dark clouds continued to gather and swirl around.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next