Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 520 T1 setup?
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

Looking for recommendations on how to setup the 520 for T1. I have read how some put it in autopause? Other methods?

Thank you,

Dale
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 T1 setup? [DaleD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DaleD wrote:
Hello All,

Looking for recommendations on how to setup the 520 for T1. I have read how some put it in autopause? Other methods?

Thank you,

Dale

- Autopause
- make sure backlight is dimmed/off
- make sure min autopause speed is > than your T1 running speed otherwise timer starts before you mount

You don't want to be turning it on and trying to find a signal in T1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just turn off all auto-shutdown and auto-pause.
Turn it on before you hop in the water and it will be waiting for you when you hop on. Once you get up to speed, hit start. The initial acceleration will screw up your avg speed or power, so just disregard those 15 seconds for the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 T1 setup? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
I just turn off all auto-shutdown and auto-pause.
Turn it on before you hop in the water and it will be waiting for you when you hop on. Once you get up to speed, hit start. The initial acceleration will screw up your avg speed or power, so just disregard those 15 seconds for the race.

Problem with that, a lot of people get too exciting and forget to hit start...autopause takes care of that. I can't think of any negatives with using it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am basic. I turn it on before the race to let it get its GPS lock in the new location. And, I will also calibrate my PM then. Then I turn it off again. I turn it on when I first touch the bike in T1, before I put on my helmet. It will have its GPS lock when I exit T1 and jump on. I start it after jumping on.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 T1 setup? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When moving again, do you adjust your backlight?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 T1 setup? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I am basic. I turn it on before the race to let it get its GPS lock in the new location. And, I will also calibrate my PM then. Then I turn it off again. I turn it on when I first touch the bike in T1, before I put on my helmet. It will have its GPS lock when I exit T1 and jump on. I start it after jumping on.

That's two opportunities for me to forget to hit a button, and I probably will. Using autopause means you don't have to touch it, just transition and go.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 T1 setup? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
just turn off all auto-shutdown and auto-pause.

Be careful. I accidentally turned on auto sleep function. It kept recording, but screen would go blank after 10 seconds. This was on the 820, but assume it's the same. Must have accidentally changed the setting before my first half. Not fun to realize during the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaleD wrote:
When moving again, do you adjust your backlight?

Only if I need to, but usually it's daylight by then. You want it setup so you don't have to touch it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaleD wrote:
Hello All,

Thank you,

Dale

I have had the autopause method lose power sync which forces me to do a restart which can be annoying. I usually do it that way though except for full ironmans... I definitely leave it off there just for the sake of guaranteed battery life. Depending on life of battery from charge cycles, bluetooth, brightness or etc and how long from when you leave transition to head to the swim and when you actually get to T1 it could take a pretty big hit and I like to be safe.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply