Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The most minimalist barefoot 'shoe' - incredibly, it even works for intervals and trail runs
Quote | Reply
Just for anyone interested - I think I found the absolute most minimal 'shoewear' out there, which is as close to barefoot as you can get without being barefoot.

I've been using these successfully on trail runs, intervals down to 5:40/mile, and amazingly, they haven't fell apart even after 100ish miles - I was expecting them to literally disintegrate after the first hard run on them, but turns out that I think because there's no support, you land really centered on it as you can't rely on the shoe for lateral support, so you do minimum damage to the shoe, even while running fast. You really feel the correct foot centering on each footstrike.

These are way more minimalist than huaraches. But the thin 2-3mm plastic sole is just enough to enable running on trails, where the occasional sharp pebble really makes pure barefoot running near-impossible. It's also super-flexible, so you will HAVE to use your feet muscles on the various surfaces you run on, and won't be able to just clomp haphazardly down the trail. You really gotta LOOK at the trail and watch for rocks, which actually makes trail running a much more fun, interactive experience (I used to just zone out on trail runs, but it's sooo much more interesting and varied with this type of barefoot style!)

In my opinion, these are GREAT shoes for minimalist runner leg training. I wouldn't race with these as they definitely do take more of a toll on your legs, particularly on downhills, where you have to use your legs and not the shoe to absorb impact, so you really build proprioception and foot/calf strength despite running slower on downhills. (I can actually go as fast on downhills, but it's more of a leg beating!)

I'll warn that if you are not an acclimated minimalist runner, do NOT go out and do your 'normal' distance runs with these shoes! You'll take a beating! But if you're up to it, it's absolutely great in my opinion - removes all the shoe technology and forces you to build up your run form, run stability, and turnover. It really gets you up on your toes and forefoot at all times. It's not easy, but it's really great for training - I was going to buy some $120+ Vivobarefoot fancy-looking shoes (and still might) but I'm finding it really hard to replace these for training runs since they're almost like lifting weights for your minimalist stride.

https://www.amazon.com/JIASUQI-Womens-Summer-Outdoor-Exercise/dp/B075W8W4WB/ref=cts_sh_1_vtp

They sell a whole bunch of similar ones, and as far as I can tell, they're all the same. Mine were $9.99 - these are pricier, but you can still find the $9.99 ones of same style if you dig a little under 'water shoes.' And I'm a dude - they're unisex, just choose the mens sizing. I wear them both with and without socks depending on my mood.

Last edited by: lightheir: Jan 17, 18 15:52
Quote Reply
Re: The most minimalist barefoot 'shoe' - incredibly, it even works for intervals and trail runs [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
only if you have tiny, tiny feet they only go up to a mens 11
Quote Reply
Re: The most minimalist barefoot 'shoe' - incredibly, it even works for intervals and trail runs [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip-- I just ran 11 mi. in them yesterday and they worked amazingly for me.

Coach of TriForce Triathlon Team

Quote Reply
Re: The most minimalist barefoot 'shoe' - incredibly, it even works for intervals and trail runs [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kevincoady wrote:
Thanks for the tip-- I just ran 11 mi. in them yesterday and they worked amazingly for me.

Glad they worked for you. I'm also heartened that someone as fast as you (as leader of the speedy Triforcers) can run in them too!
Quote Reply