Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hey woodworkers
Quote | Reply
i was given a couple of big pallets and i'd like to make then into tables. i've already made a table with one using gas pipe for the legs. i hand sanded it real quick and light, just enough to knock any big chunks off but it still splinters quite a bit. i've got two more to work with.

i dont know if this pic is good enough to answer my questions: can i sand this down enough to make it nice and smooth so i can put some sort of finish on it? i have a couple of ideas. my step-daughter is going to calpoly this fall and i'd like to put a CP logo on it. i'd paint the entire top green then put a yellow CP logo in the center. another finish i think would look really cool would be to paint a CP logo in the middle of raw wood then put some sort of shellac(???)/polyurethane over it. what is the finish that you can see through and looks to be a few mm+/- thick.

if there is a thicker, see through, finish that i could use i think it'd look nice to get a logo cut out in a thin gauge metal, affix it to the wood then cover it with some see through finish.
so, what are some options please.

thanks much

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: hey woodworkers [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best finish in terms of sheer indestructability is probably epoxy, but it's not all that cheap. You can get West system stuff from boat supply places. You can also use polyurethane, but you will have to apply lots of thinner layers and wait the right amount of time between each layer so it can dry.
Instead of epoxy you could also use polyester resin (cheaper) but it smells a lot more.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: hey woodworkers [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you.

does epoxy continue to smell after it's completely dried and set?
if i wanted to keep the table outside would epoxy be the way to go? and would it stand up to arizona heat?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you go all crazy and do something with the pallets, please make sure they're sourced in North America and heat treated. Pallets from other parts of world are chemically treated using some pretty nasty products.

https://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/
Last edited by: racin_rusty: Jan 17, 18 16:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
thank you.

does epoxy continue to smell after it's completely dried and set?
if i wanted to keep the table outside would epoxy be the way to go? and would it stand up to arizona heat?
Both epoxy and polyester resin are pretty inert once they're set. For outside in arizona, your main worry would likely be UV exposure, not heat.

But do heed Rusty's advice. Make sure you're not starting with some toxic mess.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: hey woodworkers [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Before you go all crazy and do something with the pallets, please make sure they're sourced in North America and heat treated. Pallets from other parts of world are chemically treated using some pretty nasty products.

https://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/

thanks so much for this link. this brings my project to a grinding halt. the pallets i have don't have any of the suggested markings your site suggests so i cant positively i.d. the source of these pallets. so...i'll dispose of them appropriately.

a buddy bought some stupid expensive tool boxes for his hangar and i'm going to bet they're from overseas so i'm going to be that's where the pallets are sourced from. i could be wrong, but i cant be sure, so better safe than sorry.

thanks guys for your time and the info.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply