Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
hi!

been using TR and loving it. great product and service.

simple question that may have already been answered... how is the mileage and calories burnt (that’s dumped to my garmin account) calculated? are those pretty close to being accurate?

i’m just using data from TR for my saved workouts in garmin and not running my watch or bike computer to capture the data.

thanks in advance.

In TrainerRoad, the mileage is simply how many times your wheel rotates times the circumference of the wheel. It looks like you use a simple speed cadence sensor to gather this data, so the accuracy will depend on how closely your trainer replicates outdoor resistance with its resistance unit. If it is a fluid trainer, then the mileage will more closely replicate reality compared to a Mag trainer.

Your calories burned are based on your power output, and since you are using a Power Meter for your workouts, this value is very accurate. To learn more about how we calculate calories burned from your power output, check out this article:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005942826-Calories-and-Power

I hope that clears things up!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
hi!

simple question that may have already been answered... how is the mileage and calories burnt (that’s dumped to my garmin account) calculated? are those pretty close to being accurate?

i’m just using data from TR for my saved workouts in garmin and not running my watch or bike computer to capture the data.

thanks in advance.

In TrainerRoad, the mileage is simply how many times your wheel rotates times the circumference of the wheel. It looks like you use a simple speed cadence sensor to gather this data, so the accuracy will depend on how closely your trainer replicates outdoor resistance with its resistance unit. If it is a fluid trainer, then the mileage will more closely replicate reality compared to a Mag trainer.

Your calories burned are based on your power output, and since you are using a Power Meter for your workouts, this value is very accurate. To learn more about how we calculate calories burned from your power output, check out this article:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005942826-Calories-and-Power

I hope that clears things up!

i’m using a tacx neo, so you’re saying mileage may be a touch off, but still ballpark. good enough for me!

thanks a lot for the clarification. much appreciated!

2018 Schedule: Texas Half Ironman April 8 // Tri Cap Tex, May 28 // Cypress, TX Sprint July 29 // Kemah, TX Olympic October 21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
hi!

thanks in advance.

if you're using a power meter then calories expended should be fairly accurate. Mileage on a trainer....well you didn't leave your living room so I think you can guess the accuracy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the Tacx Neo and all other smart trainers, the speed will be very unreliable due to the nature of ERG mode.

If you are in your hardest year at 200 watts, you may be going 30 mph for the whole ride. On the other hand, in your easiest gear at 200 watts you may be doing 10 mph for the whole ride.

You are working just as hard in each scenario, but in your biggest gear, you go 3x as many miles. For that reason, we recommend focusing on TSS since that is an "honest" metric that you can't trick or skew in any way :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce/TR support team - I have dual sided power meter that can transmit in dual channel via bluetooth, can trainer road accept the individual inputs and combine them or does it need to be a single channel (ie one of my sensors collects data for both and combines them).

If I can do both, do I just make sure both of the power meter sides are paired via bluetooth to the TR software?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [nyjetfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nyjetfan wrote:
Hey Bryce/TR support team - I have dual sided power meter that can transmit in dual channel via bluetooth, can trainer road accept the individual inputs and combine them or does it need to be a single channel (ie one of my sensors collects data for both and combines them).

If I can do both, do I just make sure both of the power meter sides are paired via bluetooth to the TR software?

Thanks!

Hey there!

Unfortunately we do not support two sided power readings via Bluetooth quite yet. For now, we simply take the left power meter and double the readings. The only way to get true power from both pedals is by pairing via ANT+ rather than Bluetooth.

We do plan to expand full support to Bluetooth Pedals in the future, however, I'm sorry I don't have better news for you today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halfway through the half-iron build mid volume.

I just finished Red Lake +5—what in the hell is wrong with you folks?

Anywho, in week 6 of half iron build mid-volume, the weekly tips say I should be doing Jobs +4, but Tinker +4 is the training session that's cued up... which one should I go with in that week's VO2 lashing?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stick with Tinker+4 :) Sometimes Chad updates the workouts and misses updating the Weekly Tips, but the ride in the plan is always the one he intended for you to do. We will fix this error as soon as we can.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I'm at the end of Mid Vol Oly Tri build and just got my first tri bike this week and finished up a bike fit. As expected (I guess), my power is nowhere near where it is in the road position - probably around 15% off. After having never failed to finish a workout on TR i've failed three in a row on the tri bike - admittedly these were relatively tough workouts (Phoenix +2). Given i'm about to reassess for the specialty phase (via the ramp test)- should I do the specialty block on my tri bike or road bike?

I think Chad said something on an old podcast about sticking with roadbike to maximise FTP gains and gradually adjust your aero position to minimise the loss when changing positions. However, on a recent podcast they spoke about leaving the TT bikes on the trainer for all workouts (while they are training for the TT) and numerous other places seem to suggest doing all my workouts on the trainer on a tri bike. Thoughts? I can ride as much as I like really - indoor or outdoor...

Anyone else who has experience, i'd love to hear what you tried!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [stubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing all my TR rides on the TT-bike. I try to go into the aero position for every workload in a interval session.I think I had a small discrepancy between the road- an TT-bike in the beginning, but the difference nowadays is not noticeable for me anymore.

Anyway, I train for my races. My races will be on the TT-bike in aero position. So... easy decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looking at joining TRAINERROAD on monthly subscription

anyone got any promo codes etc ;-)

top tips appreciated too
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [stubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stubs wrote:
Hi Bryce,

I'm at the end of Mid Vol Oly Tri build and just got my first tri bike this week and finished up a bike fit. As expected (I guess), my power is nowhere near where it is in the road position - probably around 15% off. After having never failed to finish a workout on TR i've failed three in a row on the tri bike - admittedly these were relatively tough workouts (Phoenix +2). Given i'm about to reassess for the specialty phase (via the ramp test)- should I do the specialty block on my tri bike or road bike?

I think Chad said something on an old podcast about sticking with roadbike to maximise FTP gains and gradually adjust your aero position to minimise the loss when changing positions. However, on a recent podcast they spoke about leaving the TT bikes on the trainer for all workouts (while they are training for the TT) and numerous other places seem to suggest doing all my workouts on the trainer on a tri bike. Thoughts? I can ride as much as I like really - indoor or outdoor...

Anyone else who has experience, i'd love to hear what you tried!

If all of your races will be on the Tri bike in the aero position, then you should train on that bike and in that position as much as you can. We recommend doing an FTP test on your Tri bike in the position that allows you to produce the most power, and then slowly integrate the aero position to bring about adaptations while tucked. Through this process the divide between your ability to express FTP in aero and normal positions will decrease.

Good luck with your training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was trying to look at my workout later today on my mobile today when I realized that the plan listed on my phone was ENTIRELY different than the one on the website and my computer. Is there a reason for this?

I'm doing the cyclocross medium volume plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ghost234 wrote:
I was trying to look at my workout later today on my mobile today when I realized that the plan listed on my phone was ENTIRELY different than the one on the website and my computer. Is there a reason for this?

I'm doing the cyclocross medium volume plan.

That is really wierd, are you on the latest version for all of your devices? I would recommend reaching out to support@trainerroad.com to report this issue and see if they can get things sorted out for you :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it turns out the app on my computer is from 2016 (why it didn't update is beyond me), but my mobile is up to date. Which still confuses me because when I browse training plans on the website I see the plan listed in my 2016 app, not the new one.

Either way, I like the plan I have been doing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next