Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

You’ll shoot your eye out!
Quote | Reply
“You’ll shoot your eye out” has been my little running joke with The Boy, my 7 year old little buddy, ever since he started playing with the high powered Nerf guns.

I should have said “You’ll shoot my eye out,” because tonight he did. I heard “Hey, Daddy, look,” turn around and see him 15’ away. With a mischievous grin, hhe pulls the trigger on his new gun; a bullet flies like a rocket straight into my open left eyeball. Sniper nails his target! To the knees I dropped, clutching the eye, reeling...and possibly swearing a bit. After a few minutes of both of us calming down — me from how bad it hurt and him from being scared that he blinded me, or from the potential 6 years of being grounded, I’m not quite sure — we were rolling and laughing about how improbable his shot was. It was awesome! And 2.5 hours later my vision is still kind of cloudy in that eye and it’s throbbing, feels kind of like a lash is stuck in it. But we’ll never forget the “2018 Nerf shot heard ‘round the block”!
Quote Reply
Re: You’ll shoot your eye out! [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a teachable moment.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in the era of BB guns. Kids really did shoot their eyes out. I got shot in the eye by the kid next door in about grade 3 but fortunately he didn't have a BB in it at the time. The barrel had become clogged with mud and I took it in the eye. My parents wouldn't let me have one after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make my kids where face masks when they play with those things. My son always shots for the head. He claims it’s by accident but I have had too many close calls to count.

A friend of mine told my son about rival guns that shot a round nerf type ball. “It’s great cause they’re soft and don’t hurt “. Well Santa dropped two of those off this Christmas. Dam things shoot the balls about a 100 mph. They’re deadly.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: You’ll shoot your eye out! [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s what this one is, a Rival. Santa brought him their giant model, battery powered, automatic fire, insanely powerful. But today I got shot with it’s little cousin, a smaller pump gun that’s still extremely powerful. I couldn’t even be upset with him. I’m just glad it was me and not his 4 year old sister. She jumped right to his defense and started blaming me for getting shot. “You’re not supposed to yell when you’re mad, Daddy!,” as she was yelling at me to not yell “oh, god, it hurts so bad!”.

Looks like I’ll be making a Lowe’s trip now and picking up safety googles for kids.

Leddy wrote:
A friend of mine told my son about rival guns that shot a round nerf type ball. “It’s great cause they’re soft and don’t hurt “. Well Santa dropped two of those off this Christmas. Dam things shoot the balls about a 100 mph. They’re deadly.
Quote Reply
Re: You’ll shoot your eye out! [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our 3 boys have a whole arsenal of nerf guns. We broke the code on making it relatively expensive....buy the bullets in bulk on ebay. On birthdays they invite a dozen kids over and we hand out thousands of nerf gun bullets. Total chaos.

As a kid we had BB gun wars all the time. We lived out in the backwoods of OR so not surburbia. We'd wear goggles for eye protection. Getting shot with a BB hurts, especially in the face. Made for a pretty realistic game. Geeze what a delta between what our parents lived with and what we'd find acceptable as parents today. 'Course, it's not clear to me that our parents ever found out back then. Except for meals, us kids weren't home much.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 17, 18 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rival makes a mask that looks like a paintball mask. Fits Kids better then safety goggles I think. $15 at Target.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: You’ll shoot your eye out! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil is the dad I want to be.

JSA wrote:
This is a teachable moment.

Quote Reply
Re: You’ll shoot your eye out! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was an apprenticing carpenter I got shot in the head, nearly missing my eye by around an inch, by a fairly high powered pneumatic nail gun. A lot of these jokes were floating around the job site for a few years afterwards:

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: You’ll shoot your eye out! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I grew up in the era of BB guns. Kids really did shoot their eyes out. I got shot in the eye by the kid next door in about grade 3 but fortunately he didn't have a BB in it at the time. The barrel had become clogged with mud and I took it in the eye. My parents wouldn't let me have one after that.

The end of our BB gun wars as kids came when one of the guys got shot in the bridge of the nose just missing the eye. Problem was the BB lodged in there and he had to go to the ER, so the jig was up.
Quote Reply
Re: You’ll shoot your eye out! [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We never had any catastrophes during BB-gun combat, which is amazing considering that our only safety measure was the agreement of "no head shots" before starting. By contrast, I've taken at least 5 or 6 nerf bullets to the face, which is probably just nature counter-balancing all of my previous stupidity.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a ton of nerf guns, umm for our 1 1/2 year old... yeah that’s it for her.

But my wife refuses to get in a nerf gun war with me with them anymore. She’ll launch 20 from the autonerf gun and hit me like once in the arm. I’ll take one shot and smoke her in the forehead. She says it’s not fair I just tell her to work on her aim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it bad that I showed my nephew the game of Russian Roulette with his revolver Nerf Gun?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was playing nerf wars with my 7 and 4 year old nephews this weekend and took one of the nerf darts in the eyeball. Hurt like hell, I saw a bunch of colors I'm not sure actually exist, and I got a swollen eyelid for my troubles. Usually we all where plastic safety glasses (sunglass style) but I had mine off when the 4 year old popped me.

Of all the surface area on the body, given that these kids can barely hit the broadside of barn, the number of times I've been hit on or close to the eyes is astounding.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: You’ll shoot your eye out! [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Is it bad that I showed my nephew the game of Russian Roulette with his revolver Nerf Gun?

IDK but we play Mario Kart and winner gets a free shot at the loser.

Quote Reply