Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
I like the simplicity of a dumb trainer if u have a PM.

No power matching to worry about.
Less stuff to break and not work.
I have no problem matching power and watching tv.

I have a couple of wheelsets with G2 powermeters and a Cyclops Hammer. What is the power matching you speak of? :) Seriously, I still do workouts where a powermeter and a dumb trainer would be fine, but I love having the option of riding video routes with the smart trainer changing resistance with the elevation profile. I'm riding routes all around the world and doing a lot more climbing.

Right. I don’t zwift. Maybe that’s why I don’t see benefit. I just do TR. powermatch is discrepancy between my power meter and the smart trainer. They are never perfectly aligned. Even a 5-10W difference is a huge difference when doing 20min at 90%.

I was being facetious. You cannot powermatch with a G2 powertap and wheel-off smart trainer like a Hammer or Kickr.

Ha! Went over my head!
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the price of a smart trainer, you can get a used fat bike & winter gear and enjoy the out doors. I bought a fat bike this year and avoid going on my trainer as much as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
For the price of a smart trainer, you can get a used fat bike & winter gear and enjoy the out doors. I bought a fat bike this year and avoid going on my trainer as much as possible.

Good point, but in my case weather is not an issue. One of the good things of living in AZ is I can actually ride my bike on the road all year long. But my job schedule only allows me to get out on the weekend, so I'm confined to the trainer on the weekdays.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:

Good point, but in my case weather is not an issue. One of the good things of living in AZ is I can actually ride my bike on the road all year long. But my job schedule only allows me to get out on the weekend, so I'm confined to the trainer on the weekdays.

aahh...yeah, that dumb job thing keeps getting in the way of everything. But I guess it pays for everything...
Quote Reply

Prev Next