Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: “...women are angry, temporarily powerful — and very, very dangerous” [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alibabwa wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
I think I'm going to save my contempt for real life.

I'm not sure I know what this means, but I hope it doesn't mean you believe things on reality TV shows don't have real world consequences.

Can you tell us more about how this has affected the real world for any of the parties involved?

Aaron was lit up on social media for his comment that it couldn’t have been an issue because he hadn’t heard anything about it. He posted an emotional apology. Not sure how it may have affected Dan, but clearly not good for him personally or professionally, though if I recall he was asked early on to dial back the touchy feely stuff, so if he was, he should have been more sensitive to it. Missy and Elizabeth are getting the most heat on social media and have not responded publicly. Janet is getting the most support.

As to the episode, if Missy hadn’t felt under threat, they all would have voted for Dan. Elizabeth and Missy, along with Kelle, all DID seem to be uncomfortable with Dan, but to different degrees. Bottom line, they should have talked to him earlier about it, and shouldn’t have involved it in game play. I don’t think Elizabeth fully grasped the implications of her words and actions and looked completely shell shocked at the tribal council. But she was 100% wrong to voice concern to Janet and then switch her plan and then say Dan’s actions were no big deal to her.

What a mess.

What happens on the show can have real life consequences. Jeff Varner lost his job after the episode where he outed Zeke. Missy and Elizabeth are going to have real difficulty if they are ever in a situation where they need to be believed about harassment or assault.

I haven't followed the social media backlash on this, but I assume it's people expressing the same anger I feel. Missy and Elizabeth helped add to the narrative that women claiming sexual harassment are liars in it for personal gain. Thanks ladies, y'all just made things harder for the rest of of us!

Oh, poor Missy and Elizabeth. I also haven't followed the social media backlash either, but I did read the apologies. There was a lot of time spent apologizing to women (which is absolutely warranted), but crickets about Dan. What am I missing? Hit me over the head with it.
Quote Reply
Re: “...women are angry, temporarily powerful — and very, very dangerous” [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I *think* she's saying that even though this false claim happened on a reality tv show, that it puts a dent in society's ability/ willingness to believe other womens when they've actually been sexually harassed/ assaulted. When women falsely accuse men for their own personal gain, it makes real accusations less believable. And this is bad.

Note: It might be even worse, from this perspective, because it happened on a large stage. There are lots of people who got to witness this dishonestly.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: “...women are angry, temporarily powerful — and very, very dangerous” [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I *think* she's saying that even though this false claim happened on a reality tv show, that it puts a dent in society's ability/ willingness to believe other womens when they've actually been sexually harassed/ assaulted. When women falsely accuse men for their own personal gain, it makes real accusations less believable. And this is bad.

Note: It might be even worse, from this perspective, because it happened on a large stage. There are lots of people who got to witness this dishonestly.

Sorry, that part was understood. What I wanted to know is why was Dan left out of their apologies? Wasn't he the actual victim? Do they not feel guilty lying about him being a sexual predator?

ETA: that's what I meant about hit me over the head with it. Seems I am missing something incredible obvious.
Last edited by: TimeIsUp: Nov 15, 19 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: “...women are angry, temporarily powerful — and very, very dangerous” [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Sorry, that part was understood. What I wanted to know is why was Dan left out of their apologies? Wasn't he the actual victim? Do they not feel guilty lying about him being a sexual predator?

ETA: that's what I meant about hit me over the head with it. Seems I am missing something incredible obvious.

Kellee was genuinely upset with what he was doing. And what he was doing was not unnoticed by people watching even before this blew up. It is not so obvious that he is/was at all innocent.

But what is clear is that these two were willing to use it for their own advantage.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Nov 15, 19 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: “...women are angry, temporarily powerful — and very, very dangerous” [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Kellee was genuinely upset with what he was doing. And what he was doing was not unnoticed by people watching even before this blew up. It is not so obvious that he is/was at all innocent.

But what is clear is that these two were willing to use it for their own advantage.

And that's exactly my point. They accused a man of being sexual predatorish when they truly did not feel that way, in order to advance their position in a game. I can completely respect Kellee's position about being uncomfortable, as well as those viewers and contestants who thought the same. Everyone's boundaries are different. However, these two women acknowledged they did not feel that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
j p o wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

And that's exactly my point. They accused a man of being sexual predatorish when they truly did not feel that way, in order to advance their position in a game. I can completely respect Kellee's position about being uncomfortable, as well as those viewers and contestants who thought the same. Everyone's boundaries are different. However, these two women acknowledged they did not feel that way.

They made false accusations that will have real-world consequences for him. They do owe him an apology. I'm curious how that side of things is going to play out. The fact that they don't seem to have apologized makes me wonder if there is more to the story that will come out as the season unfolds. Or they have an social media has ignored it?

As Tri-Banter said, Dan was clearly not respecting Kellee's boundaries despite having her ask him to back off in the first few days. Even after being talked to by the producers he still didn't seem to get it. And his other interactions with some of the other women appeared to be creepy and over the line. This makes it really hard to see him as a sympathetic character.
Quote Reply
Re: “...women are angry, temporarily powerful — and very, very dangerous” [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alibabwa wrote:
They made false accusations that will have real-world consequences for him. They do owe him an apology. I'm curious how that side of things is going to play out. The fact that they don't seem to have apologized makes me wonder if there is more to the story that will come out as the season unfolds. Or they have an social media has ignored it?

As Tri-Banter said, Dan was clearly not respecting Kellee's boundaries despite having her ask him to back off in the first few days. Even after being talked to by the producers he still didn't seem to get it. And his other interactions with some of the other women appeared to be creepy and over the line. This makes it really hard to see him as a sympathetic character.

I don't disagree with anything in that last paragraph and didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. In my opinion, how Kellee or anyone else feels is another conversation apart from what these women did. They made it clear they did not feel the same, yet still piled on, for a chance to have a better result in a game. I'm not sure how they can walk that back whilst having "more to the story", especially after such a swift and what seemed to be sincere apology to almost everyone.

Let's assume Dan is a straight-up predator with no remorse. How would we feel about women who lied to get payouts from Bill Cosby, Matt Lauer, Harvey Weinstein, etc? It gets infinitely more complicated when it isn't as cut and dried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Alibabwa wrote:

I don't disagree with anything in that last paragraph and didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. In my opinion, how Kellee or anyone else feels is another conversation apart from what these women did. They made it clear they did not feel the same, yet still piled on, for a chance to have a better result in a game. I'm not sure how they can walk that back whilst having "more to the story", especially after such a swift and what seemed to be sincere apology to almost everyone.

Let's assume Dan is a straight-up predator with no remorse. How would we feel about women who lied to get payouts from Bill Cosby, Matt Lauer, Harvey Weinstein, etc? It gets infinitely more complicated when it isn't as cut and dried.

Yeah, it's a messed up situation. In my opinion he deserves flack for inappropriate behaviour, but the Missy/Elizabeth stuff is BS. Those two made a short-sighted, selfish decision that caused harm to a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, this garbage is still on TV and people still actually watch it?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: “...women are angry, temporarily powerful — and very, very dangerous” [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Well, I could be very wrong here, but it sounds like yes - yes it is and yes they do.

I’d stop knocking it if I were you. We elected one of these reality TV superstars. Jeff Probst next? Kylie Jenner is arguably a better business person than Trump. Maybe she’s next?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Well, I could be very wrong here, but it sounds like yes - yes it is and yes they do.

I’d stop knocking it if I were you. We elected one of these reality TV superstars. Jeff Probst next? Kylie Jenner is arguably a better business person than Trump. Maybe she’s next?

You clearly don't know anything about business. She sold a business for a massive sum of money. That is not how you business. Everyone knows that smart businessmen declare bankruptcy and move on to new ventures.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next