Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike position - pressure on bars
Quote | Reply
When fitted correctly on a road bike, how much weight/ pressure should be going through the hands and onto the bars?

I was recently fitted for the first time on my road bike and came away with a highly modified riding position (seat much further back, generally stretched out more and not sat over the BB). After riding like this for a couple of months, I feel like I have a lot of weight going forward, and find I'm frequently move position from the hoods to the drops and back to stop numbness in my fingers. I feel most comfortable in the drops (it seems like I can stay there longer before my fingers go numb), but still feel like my triceps are working hard to maintain my riding position.

Could this be caused by a lack of core strength, or is it more likely to be an issue with bike fit? It seems inevitable that, when leaning forward, some weight has to go through the arms and hands, but the numb fingers and aching triceps is really annoying. I have long arms, so wonder if the problem would be reduced if I moved the bars lower or further out.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike position - pressure on bars [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rule of thumb for a road bike is 40/60 weight distribution front wheel/rear wheel. It's both for hand pressure issues and for optimal handling.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Buddy,
It's a combination of form, core strength and bike fit. I would also throw saddle selection and definitely saddle tilt as possible contributors. There is always some weight in the arms but when everything works together nicely you shouldn't be having these problems.
I'm happy to take a look if you are willing to make another trip.

Best,
Jonathan

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old-school rule-of-thumb is one-third on pedals, one-third on saddle, and one-third on bars (although of course it varies significantly depending on power, cadence, position, etc.).

Move your hands around frequently to avoid numbness, and gradually increase distance of longest rides to improve fatigue resistance of support muscles.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike position - pressure on bars [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. The comment about variation in weight distribution depending on power could explain some of it. I notice the problem the most during the lower power 2h endurance rides and a lot less during proper efforts. The fatigue resistance of support muscles is also likely a part of it, as it gets a lot worse later on in the session (which makes it hard to show up during a bike fit, as I'm not on the bike for long enough).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I am only really riding long, I move my seat back.
Only once a bit of speed is required do I move it to a more racy position.

You may also have a bit too long of a stem on there.
Having your shoulder angle go past 90 degrees can cause those symptoms.
Quote Reply