Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NOS frames
Quote | Reply
Are new old stock frames worth it if the discounts are good enough or is the older technology on a 4-5 year old frame negate the discount? From what I can tell from docs and reviews the newer frames are slightly more aero, a bit stiffer, and slightly more comfortable ride. The frame was top of the line and 4-5k a few years ago and can be had today for 1k or under brand new with warranty. I can see the advantages and disadvantages either way. I was going to pull the trigger, but wasn’t sure if I would regret the decision to be in a out of date frame.
Quote Reply
Re: NOS frames [H2Owings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H2Owings wrote:
Are new old stock frames worth it if the discounts are good enough or is the older technology on a 4-5 year old frame negate the discount? From what I can tell from docs and reviews the newer frames are slightly more aero, a bit stiffer, and slightly more comfortable ride. The frame was top of the line and 4-5k a few years ago and can be had today for 1k or under brand new with warranty. I can see the advantages and disadvantages either way. I was going to pull the trigger, but wasn’t sure if I would regret the decision to be in a out of date frame.

it depends on the NOS frame in question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The devil is in the details. What make/model specifically?

Some designs have aged very, very well. Others, a lot less so.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: NOS frames [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo r and s series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the frame IMO, if you were to find something like a NOS P2 or Speed Concept, then I would say go for it. As long as the frame fit's you, has room for 25mm tires, and can take standard aerobars, you can build up a really good bike that is as comfortable and as near as makes no difference as aero as the new top of the line bikes.

The flip side of that argument is, if you're going to be constantly lusting after the newest bike, and will eventually have buyers remorse, just spend the money now.

What NOS frame are you looking at?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the S5 or R5? Oh damn, buy one of each. Spend your savings on bad-ass wheels. You won't be lusting after anyone on those babies.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a NOS Cervelo R3 frame, dressed it up with decent but not top of the like component (i.e. Ultegra) and I love it. Sure it's not the newest frame but overall I got to pick have all the components myself and my total cost is probably around 55% of what it would have been to buy a new R3 complete from the shop.
Quote Reply