Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A roadie doing an ITT series with clip-ons....this will be fun
Quote | Reply
I'm going to do as many races of an ITT series as I can this year. It's all 10 milers.

The following is what I'll have at my disposal, so far:

-my roadie Giant Propel, with clip-on bars, cages removed, pretty big stem drop
-50mm carbon wheelset on 4000s II's
-a UK based Galibier skinsuit/time trial suit
-a Giro Advantage 2 helmet
-Wahoo Bolt with aero mount, works with clip ons

So far, it is winter and I'm in a road race training block. On my SS interval days I'm doing some of them on the trainer in the TT position instead to get used to the power delivery. I've got a local segment I created that's a nice and flat, but windy, 10 mile TT route.

As soon as the Galibier skinsuit arrives, I'll take a position photo from the fluid trainer. I'll try to setup a picture during an interval so I know it's something I would actually do during discomfort of power output.

If anyone has a few encouraging words, let me know. Should be fun, in a messed up painful kind of way.

Things I'll have to sort out:
-pre race nutrition and hydration
-a warmup routine
-pacing strategy/power targets based on having 265w on tap for 20min
-more.......
Quote Reply
Re: A roadie doing an ITT series with clip-ons....this will be fun [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TT's are a lot of fun. For a 10 miler you shouldn't have to worry so much about nutriton/hydration. If it's going to be a hot day just make sure hydration is/was good the days prior. I did my first 40K TT this year and asked the folks here on ST and I ended up going sans hydration and it worked well since the temp was below 80 deg F.
Quote Reply
Re: A roadie doing an ITT series with clip-ons....this will be fun [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that your frame's aero losses are more than made up by your computer mount.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: A roadie doing an ITT series with clip-ons....this will be fun [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well aren’t we a turd. It actually matters because if I had a modern TT cockpit the mount I have wouldn’t work on oval bars. I’m not too concerned about a single watt from a bike computer. I’m happy I don’t have to spend money to mount it up.

Weren’t you just the happy troll know it all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My apologies good sir. I attempted to be funny and failed.

Oh well.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Well aren’t we a turd. It actually matters because if I had a modern TT cockpit the mount I have wouldn’t work on oval bars. I’m not too concerned about a single watt from a bike computer. I’m happy I don’t have to spend money to mount it up.

Weren’t you just the happy troll know it all.

Lighten up. The post was in pink.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: A roadie doing an ITT series with clip-ons....this will be fun [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m just used to a couple guys or gals over on the British forums. Usually they don’t mean it in good fun. A little rough over there.

If you want a laugh.....At least I won’t look like a sausage sqeezed into the skinsuit any more. Should have seen the first time last year I wore a race fit bike kit. Not good. The wife rightly gave me some crap on that one. To make matters worse, it was a mostly white kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many years ago we had a new bike racer on our team. Strong as hell. Went to a stage race. He mounted his clip-ons before the TT.

Nobody told him that you don't do the turnaround (180) while on the bars. He came into the turnaround so hot the people there were screaming at him to slow down. Probably went 30yds past the turn.

I'm sure you'll be much more practiced than him.

(irrelevant side story: Steve upgraded to Cat 3 within a month or so, and entered the 1/2/3 state RR. 105 miles with lots of hills in NW NJ. Got into a breakaway of three guys in the first 15 miles. One guy bridged up to them on the last 15 mile lap, and he and Steve ended up dropping everyone else. At that point, bridge guy tells Steve (who has run out of fluids and is dying) that he'd help him get to the finish at the top of a climb if Steve agreed not to sprint him. Of course, Steve said no, but ended 2nd in any case)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latex tubes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shorter the race, the longer and more intense the warm up. I usually shoot for a warm up over 45 minutes for a 25ish minute TT. Over half of it is easy spinning, but there are some short 30-90 second bursts in there over goal wattage.
Quote Reply
Re: A roadie doing an ITT series with clip-ons....this will be fun [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You warm much longer than I do for a 10 mile TT. I usually try to time it so I arrive at my start time around a 5-10 minutes before I am on deck. Usually about 20 minutes or so (easy riding and some bursts of higher than ftp power and some high cadence efforts of 100+ in really easy gears). One time I timed it a little too close and was barely there in time with only one person that was in the queue in front of me just got on deck waiting for the start signal (30 second intervals....so that tells you how close I made it but didn't mean to do that).

Have fun, they these shorts one are great but can be brutal. A few times I've pushed too hard and my calf has started cramping near the finish. (usually during the first one or two of the season due to lack of fitness).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jan 16, 18 11:31
Quote Reply