Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SMP PRO width question
Quote | Reply
Hello-- does the SMP Pro run as a true 148 saddle?

The reason I ask is because of the rounded sides that appear to drop off aggressively. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: SMP PRO width question [Lemon_grass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Pro on my bike and a digital calliper. Maybe I can help?

What do you mean by a "true 148" saddle?
Quote Reply
Re: SMP PRO width question [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I mean is that since there is a taper on the sides, is there actually 148mm of space for your sit bones on the saddle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...1/09/all-about-smps/

The saddle has a flat central part, and as you have noted, tapers off at the lateral edges. The rear, rounded area is 148 mm wide, but not flat (pic 1). Approximately where I think most of my contact with the saddle is, the flat part is about 73 mm wide (pic 2) and the actual saddle is 77 mm wide (pic 3).

That's about here on the saddle (pic 4). You can also see there is a definite scoop which you sit in. I occasionally push a bit further back whilst climbing, and the saddle is 75 mm (pic 5) there.
Quote Reply
Re: SMP PRO width question [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed info! Seems to be a lot narrower than I suspected!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it seems very narrow. I've tried a number of saddles and I'd say I have a reasonably wide pelvis (I'm 6'5"). The pelvis seems to lock onto the saddle more than any other I've tried. It felt "right" from the outset, so I wouldn't be put off by it. I think SMP have quite a good testing program where you can borrow one from a local dealer.

Here's my road bike so you can see my saddle to bars drop and hopefully it'll help the decision process.

All the best,
JB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lemon_grass wrote:
Thanks for the detailed info! Seems to be a lot narrower than I suspected!
Look at the SMP Avant if you want width.
Quote Reply
Re: SMP PRO width question [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have -- worried that the nose is way too wide however and will cause chafiing.
Quote Reply