Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have found these times from Gomez set in regional championships. I'm not sure if they are his PB (all 25m pool).

1500m: 15'40''
800m: 8'22''
200m: 1:55:82
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
UPDATE: It's on. Still a lot of details to hash out, but all four are in.

We're looking for local Kona charity to support with the PPV stream...something that supports youth sports on the island would be ideal. Hit me up if you know of a good one.

That's awesome.
Sorry if I missed it, but do we already know what kind of event it will be? Distance, open water X pool, etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll be a 400-yard free at the Kona Aquatic Center the week before the race. Still working out the exact timing. Lauren Brandon will be the fourth athlete. There will be at least a couple grand for the winner...hoping to get up to $5K.

Gomez will have an open invite to join as the fifth athlete, but I'm not holding my breath.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
It'll be a 400-yard free at the Kona Aquatic Center the week before the race. Still working out the exact timing. Lauren Brandon will be the fourth athlete. There will be at least a couple grand for the winner...hoping to get up to $5K.

Gomez will have an open invite to join as the fifth athlete, but I'm not holding my breath.

If the Kona pool is really yards, then should be 500 yd; if meters, 400 m.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Kona pool is yards. I left the distance up to the athletes. They want to keep it short enough that it's not going to affect them on race day but long enough that Lucy and Lauren have a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im a bit confused is this actually going to happen now? Or at least offered and organised?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Offered, organized, and with more prize money and better coverage than your local 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
Yes. Offered, organized, and with more prize money and better coverage than your local 70.3.

Fantastic! I really hope Gomez accepts seems its me who threw his name into the mix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really hope Gomez accepts seems its me who threw his name into the mix. //

You looking for a 20% cut now???

This race is actually making me think about going over to watch again, at least it has more pull than the actual race. Just don't put it on the same day as the swim course race, if I'm there I'm doing that one too...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry Monty, it won't be the weekend before. It'll be early race week...ideally Tuesday. Hope to see you there.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Maybe a match up like 2008 Kona when my coach agreed to swim side by side with Potts no drafting?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Party_on_Benjamin_Sanson_588.html

ST: What was the last book you read?

Ben: Total Immersions

LOL, Benji was (is) a funny character!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
The Kona pool is yards. I left the distance up to the athletes. They want to keep it short enough that it's not going to affect them on race day but long enough that Lucy and Lauren have a shot.

Based in fear of their race performance, why not have this sooner, as I mentioned before. Doesn't even have to be Kona. I am sure all these folk will be at 70.3 WC
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
BradC wrote:

Based in fear of their race performance, why not have this sooner, as I mentioned before. Doesn't even have to be Kona. I am sure all these folk will be at 70.3 WC

Im sure Ali Brownlee could be at the next 70.3 Worlds lets throw him into the mix.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based in fear of their race performance, why not have this sooner, as I mentioned before. Doesn't even have to be Kona. I am sure all these folk will be at 70.3 WC //

Please no. No one gives two shits about the 70.3 WC, I cannot even tell you where it is next year, or where it was last year. Ya I could look it up, but what I do know is that Kona is same bat channel, same bat time, and folks will be in the best shape their bodies allowed them to be in and tapered to the max. The stands at the Kona pool will be full for this, and if I'm not there I will be online live to watch it. You will have 10 times the audience than any other place or time..

And I'm all for expanding this thing to be an hour plus show. We need undercards like Lionel/Keinle/Wurf, maybe let the womens have their own heat. Bring in some top AG'ers and other related pros for undercards. Have a 100 fly, or 200IM challenge, make a whole meet out of it!!!

I remember way back when we used to have a CA lifeguard swim meet at Belmont shores. There were a few of the usual swims, but then there was the 10 man 50 relay. There was the 200 swim under obstacles free. How cool would it be to have a 4x100IM/Free country relay, or even a 4x200 free one? This thing could be really a lot more than a workout grudge match and a whole lot more interesting and fun to watch. How about an over 60 race? Me, Dave Scott, Tinley, Mark Allen all doing a 400 IM??? I'm in!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will not all be at 70.3 worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Based in fear of their race performance, why not have this sooner, as I mentioned before. Doesn't even have to be Kona. I am sure all these folk will be at 70.3 WC //

Please no. No one gives two shits about the 70.3 WC, I cannot even tell you where it is next year, or where it was last year. Ya I could look it up, but what I do know is that Kona is same bat channel, same bat time, and folks will be in the best shape their bodies allowed them to be in and tapered to the max. The stands at the Kona pool will be full for this, and if I'm not there I will be online live to watch it. You will have 10 times the audience than any other place or time..

And I'm all for expanding this thing to be an hour plus show. We need undercards like Lionel/Keinle/Wurf, maybe let the womens have their own heat. Bring in some top AG'ers and other related pros for undercards. Have a 100 fly, or 200IM challenge, make a whole meet out of it!!!

I remember way back when we used to have a CA lifeguard swim meet at Belmont shores. There were a few of the usual swims, but then there was the 10 man 50 relay. There was the 200 swim under obstacles free. How cool would it be to have a 4x100IM/Free country relay, or even a 4x200 free one? This thing could be really a lot more than a workout grudge match and a whole lot more interesting and fun to watch. How about an over 60 race? Me, Dave Scott, Tinley, Mark Allen all doing a 400 IM??? I'm in!!!!

I agree with Monty....a small pro-am swim meet. Make it simple though...a couple of events like 50 free, 200 free, 200 IM and 4x100 country mixed gender relay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:

Now we have turn this into a beer-swim...4x100 off the blocks. Chug a beer, dive off blocks, sprint 100. Repeat 4x. Sh*tt*er than beer mile...I've done both.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If AG'ers are welcomed, count me in.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of the old NBC vs ABC sitcom/network stars competition. Such a great idea!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
Got any update on this? Is it still on?

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This could be more exciting than the race itself!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
Potts began the slow and steady approach around 2013, was Josh still mulling around the ITU in those days? I really don't know, I don't know Josh's career timeline that well. Not to say that Josh isn't a phenomenal swimmer, but something tells me Potts races at maybe 75% of his capabilities.
Before that, John Flanagan was still racing pro and he sometimes worked together with Potts on the swim (Kona 2009, Coeur d'Alene 2010). But it's not really worth it for Potts to take off solo otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
aerobean wrote:
Potts began the slow and steady approach around 2013, was Josh still mulling around the ITU in those days? I really don't know, I don't know Josh's career timeline that well. Not to say that Josh isn't a phenomenal swimmer, but something tells me Potts races at maybe 75% of his capabilities.

Before that, John Flanagan was still racing pro and he sometimes worked together with Potts on the swim (Kona 2009, Coeur d'Alene 2010). But it's not really worth it for Potts to take off solo otherwise.

There was 2008 where Benjamin Sanson and Potts swum side by side in Kona to lead the swim.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Party_on_Benjamin_Sanson_588.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next