Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Canada Stuck on Sidelines as US Oil, Shale Booms Create Jobs [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Since the USA is doing so well in oil and gas.

How big is the US oil fund??

It must be amazing and terrific.

Up pops Norway. Hey, just buy our F-52s, play host to our Marine Corps troops and dig on all that snow and your skill in Olympic winter sports and leave the running of the planet to us, okay?

Maybe the Marine Corps should get some better equipment. Last time they were in Norway, they got their butt kicked by the weather.
https://www.military.com/kitup/2017/05/marines-cold-weather-gear-faces-overhaul-poor-showing-arctic.html

Quote Reply
Re: Canada Stuck on Sidelines as US Oil, Shale Booms Create Jobs [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is SO disappointing. Here I thought Canada was perfect - universal health care, strong economy, metrosexual leader who is all inclusive wrt immigration and gender identification, political clarity, military Sugar Daddy, bilingual population ( I assume y’all also speak French?), Happy and healthy citizenry, No Bieber or Celine. Your currency is for shit and the weather is questionable but whatever.

Now where the hell I am going to threaten to go when I get disenchanted with the US? Get it together!

Dammit.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada Stuck on Sidelines as US Oil, Shale Booms Create Jobs [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
This thread is SO disappointing. Here I thought Canada was perfect - universal health care, strong economy, metrosexual leader who is all inclusive wrt immigration and gender identification, political clarity, military Sugar Daddy, bilingual population ( I assume y’all also speak French?), Happy and healthy citizenry, No Bieber or Celine. Your currency is for shit and the weather is questionable but whatever.

Now where the hell I am going to threaten to go when I get disenchanted with the US? Get it together!

Dammit.

Canada is very far from perfect. Just a better place to live than the USA. :-)

BTW - so is Norway.

https://www.theatlantic.com/...thole-norway/550382/

http://worldhappiness.report/ed/2017/
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Jan 14, 18 16:55
Quote Reply
Re: Canada Stuck on Sidelines as US Oil, Shale Booms Create Jobs [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh,

Objective achieved! Getting a bunch of Canadians all roiled up!

Having said that I don’t think you would have predicted that we would start infighting about equalization payments!

(Btw equalization is just part of the larger picture of federal transfers to provinces ... totaling 53b$ last year. Per capita there are several provinces/territories lower than BC/Alberta)

Anyways a puff piece with little factual content outside of some projections from the API.

Here is a slightly more reasonable assessment of the industry and the author:

http://theamericanenergynews.com/...am-energy-journalism

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Canada Stuck on Sidelines as US Oil, Shale Booms Create Jobs [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

Dammit.

I have a friend who owns a machine shop, every time our dollar tanks his US business goes up, in the late 90's early 2000's when our dollar hit an all time low he became a millionaire...lol
Last edited by: 50+: Jan 14, 18 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Canada Stuck on Sidelines as US Oil, Shale Booms Create Jobs [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Volatility in the $US has made a lot of people and a lot of companies a lot of money.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada Stuck on Sidelines as US Oil, Shale Booms Create Jobs [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
You all and the world have to face it, oil is the next coal in the fossil fuel domino chain to fall. But there will be some tough clingers on, and it is going to be awhile longer before world wide awareness is final. Take a look at coal, even now there are a couple still clinging on, thinking it was some left agenda that killed their jobs and industry. They voted for Trump because he said he would bring it back, but of course that was just another lie of many from him.

Market forces killed coal, and now they are going to kill oil too. Oil will of course be a much bigger deal than coal, and it won't go down quietly or easily, but go down it will. Albertan's would do well to be thinking like many mideast oil countries, and imagine what it will be like 25 years from now and position yourselves to be part of that future. You hit the lottery with your oil at this time of our history, now don't throw it all away because you don't see the change coming.

Borders, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, etc., etc., did not see their dominance being eroded by some small internet companies who just got bigger and bigger, until it was just too late to do anything about it. They died quick and stupid deaths at the end because of the lack of acknowledgement of the changing landscape. They had the resources and dominance to have joined that revolution, but they clung to the past like a sinking lifeboat full of holes too big to plug. Big coal(now that is really funny calling them big anymore) employ way less people than renewable energy, and are losing jobs everyday while the latter adds exponentially. Why we even bother fighting about an industry that is for all intense and purpose a zombie one is beyond me, but I guess it still hits an emotional cord with some political parties and so they tug on it now and again.

If you have oil still it is past time to be using all that cash to build alternate industries that will keep you afloat when no one needs or uses oil anymore. Maybe you work in the energy industry still and invest in the renewables, or you go the way of many countries and build a tourism industry. You need smart people that don't give two shits about oil to help you invest some of that windfall history has given you. Just spending it like a drunken sailor in the here and now, well it will be interesting to see what really happens to some of the richest when they become 3rd world in finances.

China is Amazon and any country that does not see that now and make adjustments, well get ready to fire up that VCR and get your movie from Blockbuster, the couple of stores still operating in rural Alaska...I remember when there was one on every corner, you literally could walk from just about anywhere to go get a movie. What a wasted opportunity, but no problem because Netfix filled that niche and now they are poised to put networks out of business, how is that for a David and Goliath story..

The problem with your long post is simple: vehicles. It's one thing to replace household power sources, a bigger thing to replace industrial power sources, but nothing exists to replace oil (gasoline, aviation fuel and diesel), for road behind and aircraft.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada Stuck on Sidelines as US Oil, Shale Booms Create Jobs [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Meh,

Objective achieved! Getting a bunch of Canadians all roiled up!

Having said that I don’t think you would have predicted that we would start infighting about equalization payments!

(Btw equalization is just part of the larger picture of federal transfers to provinces ... totaling 53b$ last year. Per capita there are several provinces/territories lower than BC/Alberta)

Anyways a puff piece with little factual content outside of some projections from the API.

Here is a slightly more reasonable assessment of the industry and the author:

http://theamericanenergynews.com/...am-energy-journalism

Cheers,
Maurice

You got that right. My eyes glazed over from the Canuckist minutiae many posts ago, except for Mr. Halvard's contributions to the discourse, of course. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Canada Stuck on Sidelines as US Oil, Shale Booms Create Jobs [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
The problem with your long post is simple: vehicles. It's one thing to replace household power sources, a bigger thing to replace industrial power sources, but nothing exists to replace oil (gasoline, aviation fuel and diesel), for road behind and aircraft.

Pretty much.

The energy density of the best lithium batteries is about 1 MJ/kg. You can get that same megajoule from 22 grams of gasoline.

Gasoline has a 44 to 1 advantage over batteries in terms of energy density. That will change, but only slowly and not by all that much. Aircraft in particular will rely on fossil fuels for decades and decades to come.
Quote Reply

Prev Next