Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who got a DK spot?
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Who got a DK spot? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know if a DK spot is a medical issue or something to do with triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Who got a DK spot? [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirty Kanza 200 lottery. Didn't enter this year but I'm guessing a lot were out of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was selected in the lottery. I'm about an hour from Emporia and finished the 200 last year so maybe that's a factor in my selection however I suspect the biggest reason is that I purchased and kit with my entry. It would be pretty convenient to select anyone who's credit card they could charge more for upon selection first.

I currently don't have any lodging available and am not sure I'm willing to pay over $500 for a two night stay a Best Western like last year. There are so many great Midwest gravel races and others across the country that are more scenic and tougher I honestly think the DK hype will die down drastically in the next few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Who got a DK spot? [crapknees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine didn't get selected but wants to do the 200 so if anyone's not able to participate please PM me. His wife got in and I think he'd rather ride than SAG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crapknees wrote:
I was selected in the lottery. I'm about an hour from Emporia and finished the 200 last year so maybe that's a factor in my selection however I suspect the biggest reason is that I purchased and kit with my entry. It would be pretty convenient to select anyone who's credit card they could charge more for upon selection.

Actually, your little theory has been debunked by a lot of people posting that they got in the race but did not buy the kit.

I got in the DK50. I’ll be sleeping at Dad’s house and riding to the start.

CS - did you get in?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Jan 14, 18 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No entry for me. We had about 6 of us apply and only 1 got selected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starts as a psychological issue that turns into physical issue
Quote Reply
Re: Who got a DK spot? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I’m in, so long as I get to start line...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crapknees wrote:
There are so many great Midwest gravel races and others across the country that are more scenic and tougher I honestly think the DK hype will die down drastically in the next few years.

Agreed. I did Dirty Kanza in 2014 & 2015. The course is good, but nowhere near good enough (compared to other gravel races) to justify the price & hype. There are also too many people for my tastes.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I entered on a whim, thinking i would not get in. On a whim i even made a motel reservation last Friday.

First think Saturday morning I was wondering how my luck was...moments later I got the email that I has been selected for the 100 !

I guess my early season training has been established!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... Anyone in Colorado have some favorite rides they want to shore?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 5 teammates made it in, but i got rejected. 5 out of 6 really isn't bad. I'm sure that people will be selling slots in a few months, and I'll be able to get in.

I really wish there was some sort of qualification process in addition to the lottery. IMO it takes a little prestige out of winning if the fastest guys who want to race it aren't able to get in. Even the winner from last year wasn't guaranteed a slot, although he did make it via the lottery.
Quote Reply
Re: Who got a DK spot? [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
... Anyone in Colorado have some favorite rides they want to shore?

No real "specific" route but all the stuff North and East of I-25 & I-70 out by DIA is great for lack of traffic, rollers, dirt and (surprise) wind. Have friends in the Springs that spend a lot of time in the Elbert/Kiowa/Deer Trail/Limon area. Can ride for days out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Who got a DK spot? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
crapknees wrote:
There are so many great Midwest gravel races and others across the country that are more scenic and tougher I honestly think the DK hype will die down drastically in the next few years.

Agreed. I did Dirty Kanza in 2014 & 2015. The course is good, but nowhere near good enough (compared to other gravel races) to justify the price & hype. There are also too many people for my tastes.

I see all the great courses out West and wonder why anyone would go to DK.
Quote Reply
Re: Who got a DK spot? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of good rides out west but DK is it's own animal.

Why would anyone want to go to Kona or Wildflower or Alcatraz?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
There are a lot of good rides out west but DK is it's own animal.

Why would anyone want to go to Kona or Wildflower or Alcatraz?

Indeed. None of those races interest me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. Maybe you should start a separate thread about races that don't interest you since that was the subject of this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I see all the great courses out West and wonder why anyone would go to DK.

Having grown up in NorCal, I know where you're coming from. But that said, there is something about long hours on the gravel in some of the intense (but totally different) beauty of the Midwest. Here a taste of another cool Midwestern gravel ride, the Almanzo100:

https://vimeo.com/47963412

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Who got a DK spot? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the 200. Did the 100 last year and was pleasantly surprised to get the email on Saturday. I booked a room at the Candlewood Suites back in July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That one's also on my list. In fact, the list is too long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Gotcha. Maybe you should start a separate thread about races that don't interest you since that was the subject of this one.

No thanks. I asked what the attraction of DK is because it's relevant to this thread.

You're the one who brought up races than don't interest me... so you should go start a separate thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice share. The NW IL area also has absolutely fantastic gravel riding too. I didn't get into DK, but I'm not too upset since Ten Thousand is the week before. If you don't mind driving a little west, it's an amazing route out of Freeport, IL. Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. 120ish miles and 10k ft of climbing. There's a couple shorter routes too. I think this is year number five.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No DK for me but I will be riding the inaugural Michigan Coast 2 Coast... 209 miles of gravel racing the sunset over Lake Michigan!
Quote Reply