Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings
Quote | Reply
Thank Thor for Slowtwitch. At least I have someone to kind of talk to.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this for the pro sports agency you started? How is that going for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what city you in?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Stormy Daniels. She might be free.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

She's not free, but she might be reasonable.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At home, I currently have a puppy, and infant, a business to run, tenants to manage, and on-going home renovations.

There are days where I feel like telling my clients I'm going to be away for a day, telling my wife I'm going to work, and simply going to a hotel room and sleeping, watching netflix, and ordering room service.

A little down time in a quiet room is never a bad thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PPV movies.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
PPV movies.

You beat me to it. Pun intended
Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I hear you. Life just gets busy and crazy & sometimes you just need a little break. Monday is a holiday for my company, so I've been fighting this wracking guilt -- I'd like to drop the boy off for the bus, the girl off for day care, and then take the day to go to a couple of coffee shops, get comfortable in a chair, and read in peace and quiet for the whole damn day. And then I feel guilty about not taking the opportunity to do something with the 4 year old instead of bringing her to day care. But a friend reminded me -- I just had a bunch of holiday time with her and it was freaking exhausting between the kids and running around place to place & trying to get a bunch of year end work projects wrapped up. So I'm going to find those comfortable chairs and coffee, but it has to be outside of the house, otherwise I'll just see all of the stuff that I *must* get done here and freak out. Hopefully you can find some of the same. We all need a bit of "sabbath."

BCtriguy1 wrote:
At home, I currently have a puppy, and infant, a business to run, tenants to manage, and on-going home renovations.

There are days where I feel like telling my clients I'm going to be away for a day, telling my wife I'm going to work, and simply going to a hotel room and sleeping, watching netflix, and ordering room service.

A little down time in a quiet room is never a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
JSA wrote:
PPV movies.

You beat me to it. Pun intended

You guys know it is free on the internet right? And who needs more than 15 seconds anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

Yep, sitting in Roanoke, VA. At something called the Dream Bowl. Non-FBS players who didn't get invited to other all star games. Some talent here but everybody has at least 2 question marks.

We are off and running. Got a guy out of OSU we are working with. I should come away from here with a couple more that we really want. If I wanted to get just guys and not worry about future prospects I could get a couple dozen.

I'm using this as experience in making the pitch and figuring out what these guys want to hear. I'm also working on watching football as a living. So I have that going for me.

Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Man, I hear you. Life just gets busy and crazy & sometimes you just need a little break. Monday is a holiday for my company, so I've been fighting this wracking guilt -- I'd like to drop the boy off for the bus, the girl off for day care, and then take the day to go to a couple of coffee shops, get comfortable in a chair, and read in peace and quiet for the whole damn day. And then I feel guilty about not taking the opportunity to do something with the 4 year old instead of bringing her to day care. But a friend reminded me -- I just had a bunch of holiday time with her and it was freaking exhausting between the kids and running around place to place & trying to get a bunch of year end work projects wrapped up. So I'm going to find those comfortable chairs and coffee, but it has to be outside of the house, otherwise I'll just see all of the stuff that I *must* get done here and freak out. Hopefully you can find some of the same. We all need a bit of "sabbath."

Sinking in to a comfy chair and reading all day sounds amazing! The only issue being I'd probably fall asleep in around 5 minutes at this point ;-).

I did get a bit of a break before Christmas: I flew the wife up to see her Grandma on points and had the house to myself (and the dog) for a few days. I worked like crazy on the renos, but it was actually relaxing just to have ONE project to peck away at and not be distracted by a bunch of other priorities. Also, I didn't cook once, hired cleaners before the wife came home and scored some major points when she returned to a spotlessly clean house with a bunch of work done on it on Christmas eve.

The last time I had more then a day to myself was in May!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

PM Captain Canada, pretty sure he has some insight on how to deal with this ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That actually sounds pretty great and fulfilling. It's nice when you have the chance to distill everything down to just one item of focus. The brain needs that.

I was supposed to have 3 days away in early December. There's a monastery I like going to. I know that sounds weird and nerdy, but it's a great little retreat. It sits in the sticks, so I go and hike around in the woods, spend a bunch of time reading and planning out personal projects, time in solitude & meditation, nap a bit, and just sit in wonder. They have these little dorm rooms that are just a step above spartan, enough to give what I need yet not comfortable enough to want to just stay in bed too late. But then I got a wicked case of the flu and it knocked me on my ass hard, so there's not an opportunity to get away solo now for at least a couple of months.

Life is great and awesome, but, man, does it get to be exhausting keeping up with its responsibilities sometimes. My kids are 7 & 4, just old enough to do more for themselves, but still young enough to have a lot of needs that only mommy & daddy can assist with. Soon enough we'll get some relief.

BCtriguy1 wrote:
Sinking in to a comfy chair and reading all day sounds amazing! The only issue being I'd probably fall asleep in around 5 minutes at this point ;-).

I did get a bit of a break before Christmas: I flew the wife up to see her Grandma on points and had the house to myself (and the dog) for a few days. I worked like crazy on the renos, but it was actually relaxing just to have ONE project to peck away at and not be distracted by a bunch of other priorities. Also, I didn't cook once, hired cleaners before the wife came home and scored some major points when she returned to a spotlessly clean house with a bunch of work done on it on Christmas eve.

The last time I had more then a day to myself was in May!
Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

She's not free, but she might be reasonable.

There’s a surcharge if you decide to run 4 office.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Spent the last 2 days traveling with only 2 appointments per day...translated to a lot of time working/relaxing in the hotel room. I've come to the same conclusion that it's boring but what is bugging me is that I don't seem to be able to chill out anymore...or rather being comfortable being bored..that's could be an issue.

I was entertained by a LR post where someone was being rubbed the wrong way becauseI referred to Oprah as a candidate as well as warning BK that Trump stickers are everywhere in the area he's going when he finally says f it and if off to the sticks. Being entertained is fine but when it was the main event in a 2 hour block between appointments that time could have much better been spent just reading a book or something else relaxing.

Anyhow, I hear ya but also hope we (all..I suppose) get comfortable with being bored again.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
That actually sounds pretty great and fulfilling. It's nice when you have the chance to distill everything down to just one item of focus. The brain needs that.

That's so true. It was very rewarding, despite the long days. Plus, I had some fun with it. Had a good scotch on the go in the work shop, burned through a fee Cubans from my trip last year, had an interesting podcast or two on the go, etc. That, to me, is relaxing.

Quote:

I was supposed to have 3 days away in early December. There's a monastery I like going to. I know that sounds weird and nerdy, but it's a great little retreat. It sits in the sticks, so I go and hike around in the woods, spend a bunch of time reading and planning out personal projects, time in solitude & meditation, nap a bit, and just sit in wonder. They have these little dorm rooms that are just a step above spartan, enough to give what I need yet not comfortable enough to want to just stay in bed too late. But then I got a wicked case of the flu and it knocked me on my ass hard, so there's not an opportunity to get away solo now for at least a couple of months.

That sounds awesome. I'm pretty introverted so that sort of thing really speaks to me. I've done a lot of solo travelling and love finding that special piece of quiet and solitude somewhere very far away. Very refreshing and invigorating.

Quote:

Life is great and awesome, but, man, does it get to be exhausting keeping up with its responsibilities sometimes. My kids are 7 & 4, just old enough to do more for themselves, but still young enough to have a lot of needs that only mommy & daddy can assist with. Soon enough we'll get some relief.

Well said! I've never felt like I've had such purpose, but it's a fine balance between that and just feeling the relentless grind of responsibility sometime. And I really never complain out loud about it as, truth be told, we have it pretty damn good. We live in a great place, our family is in good health, both wife and I have great jobs, etc. We have a hell of a lot to be thankful for.

Anyways, great chat and hope you find that comfy chair on Monday!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Yep, sitting in Roanoke, VA. At something called the Dream Bowl. Non-FBS players who didn't get invited to other all star games. Some talent here but everybody has at least 2 question marks.

We are off and running. Got a guy out of OSU we are working with. I should come away from here with a couple more that we really want. If I wanted to get just guys and not worry about future prospects I could get a couple dozen.

I'm using this as experience in making the pitch and figuring out what these guys want to hear. I'm also working on watching football as a living. So I have that going for me.

So you aren’t telling them what they need to know, just what they want to hear?

Amazing.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Amazing.

He could still be telling them what they need to know. But tailoring it to a sales pitch. Even though he’s trying to be an advisor there’s still a big sales component trying to get clients.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Damn it is boring sitting in a hotel room by yourself waitiing on meetings [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Amazing.

Sometimes you need to do a bit of both. I've lost some big projects to lower quality outfits due to being too bluntly honest and not really selling my service well enough. It's frustrating as I hate selling the fluff and buttering people up, but, it really is necessary.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could never work in sales. Too much bullshit.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't really think I did work in sales until I took a sober look at my industry a year or so in to business. It's all salesmanship and smoke and mirrors. Some of the most successful contractors I know sell modest quality workmanship at premium prices, and get referral after referral because they can convince their customers they are buying a great product. It baffles me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, pretty much what they said. We are going to tell them what they need to hear, but this part is all sales. We know what we can do for them, we have to focus on the parts they are worried about. We will probably lose some kids because we have no interest in dealing in BS. But you still have to tailor the message to what they want to hear.

The nice part is the kids I've met this weekend are different from the D1 kids. These guys have been to a man as nice and respectful as you can imagine. I have been called sir more in the last 4 days than the rest of my life combined.

In case you were worried about the next generation, hear is a story for you. There is a kid that had done nothing more than exchange a couple Facebook messages with me to tell me he'd like to talk about things he could do. Not an NFL prospect, but maybe CFL or Arena. He tore his ACL in practice yesterday. Last night he was messaging with me apologizing for not getting back to me. From the hospital. That is some character.

Quote Reply