Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:
I would love advice in the pool if someone saw the need to correct what I’m doing! I’m slow, I learned to swim as a kid, but have taken lessons to improve. My endurance is improving. But if you are going to offer advice, don’t come across as a superior know it all. Be nice and helpful.

It's pretty to ask a stronger swimmer to give you a single tip. Not all of them can correctly identify your errors, but it's at least worth thinking about.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Once, lady was leaving T2 with her helmet still on.
Oops. . . isn't this a penalty?
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
I was out on a training ride on the road between two towns - probably an 8-10 mile stretch. About midway, I spot a classic bike trail denizen - department store bike mountain bike with the seat resting almost on the top tube and bowlegged knees pumping at a cadence that indicated this road was being tackled in the granny gear while straining the seams of her jeans. So far, I'm still not going to say anything... but as I passed I heard the unmistakable sound of dragging rim brakes and I could not stand idly by.

I braked hard to let her come up by me and offered to look at her bike. She thought that sounded OK and that's when I realized she had the front wheel spun 180' giving her ape-hanger bars and pulling the brake cable taught enough to clamp the wheel so it wouldn't even make a full rotation when I spun it in the air. I flipped the bars around, showed her how the shifters worked and set her off down the road. She looked at me like I was a spaceman come down to share our galactic wisdom an set off down the road.

That reminds of something I had forgotten. I once rode by someone who was riding some POS Walmart-like road bike. The forks were installed backwards so the forks curved towards the rider and not away. I have no idea how the wheel fit in there or anything else installed properly from there but somehow it did. I told them their fork was on backwards. The person first asked me if I was sure. Yes, I'm sure. They then thanked me. I somehow got the feeling they didn't care too much and probably never got it fixed. I would assume that's a heck of a safety issue as the forks buckling is probably inevitable.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never given unsolicited advice (simply because I'm not a coach) but have received it a couple of times in the pool. I appreciated it but whether it was a life changer or not ... no not so much. Even advice from my squad / swim coaches haven't always necessarily stuck because I know that diff styles work for diff people.

I think that the intention is always good - to be helpful - so for me I don't see any problems and always thank the person who has given it to me. Doesn't bruise my ego at all (heck, I've got none) and I don't see it as them being arrogant.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should mind your business unless someone asks you for help.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Yeah, but there's a difference between telling people facts like this: "Road is closed up ahead." "Your helmet is on backwards" etc and telling them what they should be doing in terms of their general practice.

Agreed, I think I blurred these two very different scenarios in my OP.

jt10000 wrote:
The latter is obnoxious if unsolicited. Of course there are gray ares - improperly used quick releases are an example. But a riders "form"? Now way do I offer unsolicited advice.

I think obnoxious is a bit strong, although there are many different opinions on this thread the general consensus seems to be if you make an effort not to come across as a d-bag you shouldn't be branded one.

jt10000 wrote:
I want to add that the first image in this whole thread, of the guy on the bike in a tank top, illustrates something that annoys me. The OP thinks there is something wrong with that, and frankly I don't agree. The guy is out riding a bike in street clothes himself. I completely disagree that his saddle "should" be a certain way due to what triathletes or bike racers think. It's just not relevant to him unless he wants it to be different or is complaining or problems. And we don't know that.

This couldn't be further from the truth. I actually struggled to find a good picture of a cyclist with their saddle too low on google image search. He just happened to be in a tank top. In addition, I'm not speaking from the point of view of a triathlete or bike racer, just basic safety/common sense/injury prevention perspective.

Finally I think you've hit on something in your last sentence. I sometimes meet folks new to cycling and will ask how they're enjoying it, do they like their bike etc. and also if they've any soreness/numbness. That usually steers the conversation to suggesting a small tweak in saddle height or fore/aft adjustment without coming across as "obnoxious"
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:
I would love advice in the pool if someone saw the need to correct what I’m doing! I’m slow, I learned to swim as a kid, but have taken lessons to improve. My endurance is improving. But if you are going to offer advice, don’t come across as a superior know it all. Be nice and helpful.

What's stopping you from asking the next good swimmer you see? I'm just curious.. is it just nerves/politeness?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
I actually struggled to find a good picture of a cyclist with their saddle too low on google image search. He just happened to be in a tank top. In addition, I'm not speaking from the point of view of a triathlete or bike racer, just basic safety/common sense/injury prevention perspective.
Safety? Injury prevention? You're just making stuff up.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a total newbie to swimming for speed, I wish that people would correct me. I need it. As long as they don't come off like a total a-hole when doing so...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I told a stranger that he had his helmet on backwards. We've all been new at somepoint and need advice. It's more how the advice is given. I didn't yell out across the parking lot for everyone to hear and see. I walked over and smiled and quietly asked him if he knew he had his helmet on backwards. He appreciated it, we laughed and I told him to have a good ride and I've never seen him again. There's a pretty clear line between the people who want everyone to know that they know it all and people who actually want to help people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
travelgirl wrote:

What's stopping you from asking the next good swimmer you see? I'm just curious.. is it just nerves/politeness?

It wouldn’t be nerves or politeness stopping me, I guess i would worry a bit if they are able to give meaningful advice.. But then I guess the same could be said for unsolicited advice. (I took a few lessons from one of the tri team coaches and he was not a good instructor for me. I switched and the woman I went to was fabulous. I go back to her every so often but it’s expensive) I was just thinking of the person several replies ago that had a former swim coach help them out. Plus I don’t want to interrupt someone’s workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only time I can think of I would do this is if there would be impending personal injury if I didn't say something.

Otherwise, it would have to be an environment where feedback is expected.......like a peloton during a group ride or race sim. If someone's riding shit, they're going to get told something to prevent the group going down.

The only time I did this:
I openly called out one rider that kept losing their wheel in front of me because they couldn't comfortably stay on their skis and hold a wheel. We're talking about 4 bike lengths opening up. Meaning the right line was losing the group. Eventually I communicated with the people in the left-hand line to say I was going up the middle to pass the person, and did so. The left hand line let me go.

FWIW....in that case.......if you do bother to bring a Tri bike to a huge fund raiser group ride.......stay off the damn skis in the peloton. If you want to get on the skis, get out back or up front. Otherwise get on the bull bars. Why the hell do you need to be on the skis in the peloton anyway? You're doing what, 120 to 140w to maintain 25mph? I swear I've heard of TdF riders averaging 120w for a couple hours in the main group on the flats.

It wasn't just one person. The two times I did a few minutes turn up front there were people on the skis behind me. Behind me. Seriously?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have noticed an inverse correlation between someone's expertise and how eager they are to offer input. There are a couple of former D1 swimmers who use the same pool that I go to. I have introduced myself and asked that if they see anything I am doing wrong, please point it out. They have had very little to say, even though I am not a fast swimmer (midpack on a good day). However, the guy who struggles to do two laps and slaps the water like he is trying to work out a grudge with every stroke has told me that if I keep trying, I can be as good as him.

When I started riding, I did have the good fortune to ride several times with someone who has bike toured the world and teaches a class on riding confidently in traffic. He readily shared his information and wasn't a jerk about how he did it. I learned a ton from him about riding in groups or navigating traffic.
Last edited by: happyscientist: Jan 16, 18 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
When I started riding, I did have the good fortune to ride several times with someone who has bike toured the world and teaches a class on riding confidently in traffic. He readily shared his information and wasn't a jerk about how he did it. I learned a ton from him about riding in groups or navigating traffic.

That's a great way to learn. Did he charge for the classes? Was it a solo operation or did he offer it through a cycling club/local organisation?

Cycling has exploded here in Ireland yet there are very few introductory classes like this offered locally. The message here at the moment is put as many lights on your bike as possible and wear as much luminous clothing as possible.

Then the cars definitely won't hit you... /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only given unsolicited advice once.
My training partner and I were at the squat rack (we were match sprinters and squatted a >2x bw). Two women started working at the next squat rack. They were putting the bar way up on their cervical spine, like right at the base of their skull. Scary, as in they were going to damage spinal cord at any minute.
We actually stratigized because we knew that telling them straight out they were doing it badly would just get us labeled as douche bags. So we just initiated casual conversation for a bit. Then I asked if they had been squatting for a long time. They said this was their first time. I asked if they would like any tips. One of them said, yes, she would love some help and added, "I really appreciate the way you asked".
Whew, quadriplegia averted.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re doing the Lord’s work Jim /pink

Seriously though that’s a great approach and one many people in this thread would support. I wish I had the skills to start casual conversations with women in the gym!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

That's a great way to learn. Did he charge for the classes? Was it a solo operation or did he offer it through a cycling club/local organisation?

Cycling has exploded here in Ireland yet there are very few introductory classes like this offered locally. The message here at the moment is put as many lights on your bike as possible and wear as much luminous clothing as possible.

Then the cars definitely won't hit you... /pink

I think there was a fee for the classes and he taught them as a one day, no credit class at the local college. I saw the ads at bike shops sometimes. He is very active in the local cycling community, and led a local club's beginner friendly ride. I rode with him a few times on that, and many years later, we still run into each other occasionally. I dabble in bike touring, and I have asked him for advice about that a couple times. He's a great guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have offered swimming help a half dozen times over the last 20 years. It was appreciated 5 of the 6 times. The other one was polite but "meh" about it. I've really tried to judge if the advice would be appreciated or not before offering it. As others have posted, many people are there just for a work out and probably don't care particularly about improving. The cases where it was really appreciated was when it looked like they were trying really hard and were frustrated with their results. I always open up with, "I know unsolicited advice is rarely appreciated, so stop me right away, but .. ". I've also evaluated if I could be effective. Its one thing to swim well. It's another to teach it. I once offered a young woman some help who was so appreciative she kept asking me for more help and I ended up working with her for 40 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary Hall, Sr once offered I guess what would count as helping a stranger correct their form.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20swimming#p2807690

Look at the first 3 posts

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Jan 17, 18 9:07
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Once, lady was leaving T2 with her helmet still on.

Oops. . . isn't this a penalty?

I don't think it's a penalty but it definitely isn't a good look. She was appreciative of the unsolicited advice !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:
I have offered swimming help a half dozen times over the last 20 years. It was appreciated 5 of the 6 times. The other one was polite but "meh" about it. I've really tried to judge if the advice would be appreciated or not before offering it. As others have posted, many people are there just for a work out and probably don't care particularly about improving. The cases where it was really appreciated was when it looked like they were trying really hard and were frustrated with their results. I always open up with, "I know unsolicited advice is rarely appreciated, so stop me right away, but .. ". I've also evaluated if I could be effective. Its one thing to swim well. It's another to teach it. I once offered a young woman some help who was so appreciative she kept asking me for more help and I ended up working with her for 40 minutes.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever "helped" a stranger correct their form? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link is broken?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

See if that works. Keeps changing after I hit submit.

ETA - works for now but possible only on my computer.

Last edited by: Leddy: Jan 17, 18 9:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next