Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 935 & chest stap issue
Quote | Reply
I've been using my 935 since this summer and had such good luck with the wrist sensor. I never tried the chest straps. Now being the middle of winter and multiple layer and weird heart rate readings i dug my chest strap out of the box (and an old one too) and I can't get my watch to detect any sensors. I've switch batteries and the usual stuff. Is there a "trick" or suggestions. Super frustrating. Thanks much.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 & chest stap issue [soldagreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New battery, then wet the contacts, put it on, and have it search again.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 & chest stap issue [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep- Did all that stuff (actually multiple times) Heart rate mode is in Auto. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you wait long enough for the heart rate monitor module to fully discharge? If the chest strap and module are Garmin, they suggest you wait at least 30 seconds, or place a coin across the contacts to allow it to fully discharge before putting the new battery in. I've personally never seen this work. In any case where replacing the battery didn't immediately work, I have never gotten that one to work correctly again. I have since ditched the Garmin straps in favor of a Wahoo TICKR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it still doesn't find it after doing all that (and having it search for sensors using the menus), 99.9% chance it's dead. I've had at least half a dozen fail, and footpods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing to try is to put the battery in the wrong way and keep it there for a few seconds. Then put the battery in properly and try again. That has worked in the past for me.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 & chest stap issue [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill try some of the suggestions. Thanks. It's annoying because I never had issues with my old 920. It is like the 935 doesn't "see" any of the Garmin chest straps sensors. I tried three. I'll try a different brand of heart strap this afternoon and see if that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you say your watch is in auto mode, I believe it will automatically use the wrist sensor. Have you actually told the watch to look for a HR strap? Go into the Settings>Sensors&Accessories>Add new>External Heart rate--this tells the watch to look for the signal...Make sure you have had the HR strap on a bit and the sensors are moist and close fitting to the skin before searching for the signal...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 & chest stap issue [Z.Andreski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill have to switch modes tonite. Hopefully that is the issue. I thought in auto mode it will use either but default to the chest strap...but it doesn't work so i must be wrong. I have told it to look for new devices and even specifically "chest strap" (similar to bluetooth pairings) but no dice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you did everything right. Maybe the strap is fried?

Do you have another device to try? Bike comp, trainer road, etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soldagreen wrote:
Ill have to switch modes tonite. Hopefully that is the issue. I thought in auto mode it will use either but default to the chest strap...but it doesn't work so i must be wrong. I have told it to look for new devices and even specifically "chest strap" (similar to bluetooth pairings) but no dice.
You have to pair a sensor before the 935 will recognize it. It's the same procedure you'll use if you want the watch to pickup a powermeter, cadence/speed sensor etc. Without pairing it will never 'see' the HR strap even in Auto mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soldagreen wrote:
I've been using my 935 since this summer and had such good luck with the wrist sensor. I never tried the chest straps. Now being the middle of winter and multiple layer and weird heart rate readings i dug my chest strap out of the box (and an old one too) and I can't get my watch to detect any sensors. I've switch batteries and the usual stuff. Is there a "trick" or suggestions. Super frustrating. Thanks much.

I just had this issue and called Garmin. They sent me a replacement chest strap.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply