Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gasparilla Distance Classic, what can you tell me?
Quote | Reply
I'm at the airport waiting for my flight home from Naples. My wife and I love coming to Naples but coming for the Hits race just hasn't worked out very well. Next year we are thinking of flying to Tampa for Gasparilla then driving to Naples for a week.

I've known about Gasparilla since I started running in 1979. What can you tell me about the race these days?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Gasparilla Distance Classic, what can you tell me? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great time! Tons of participants. They have every distance you can imagine, and a challenge for completing all or a subset of them. I do the Half. It does start at 6:00 a.m. however....and, they give a really cool medal at the end!
Quote Reply
Re: Gasparilla Distance Classic, what can you tell me? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very fun race! It is not technical at all and offers very little elevation change (other than the two small bridges going onto Davis Island), so fast splits and PR's can be had. Lots of crowd support too!

Weather can be tricky as sometimes its a little cool for us in Florida with thin blood, or it can blazing hot when the sun pokes its head up. You can count on gusty to steady winds from the south east since its Spring time and Summer is right around the corner for the deep south.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the 15k one year and headed to Daytona after the race for the 500. Great race and loads of partying once we got to Daytona.
Quote Reply
Re: Gasparilla Distance Classic, what can you tell me? [twosix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the addition of the half, is the 15k still the premier event or have people moved to the half?
Quote Reply
Re: Gasparilla Distance Classic, what can you tell me? [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
With the addition of the half, is the 15k still the premier event or have people moved to the half?

I think more people have moved on to the half. However the "cool thing" now is to do all the distances. They do an overall winner, m/f three or five deep, of all distances (cumulative time) which is a neat thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Gasparilla Distance Classic, what can you tell me? [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be looking for the least crowded race. Would the 8k be the least crowded?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply