Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coronary heart risk: lipoprotein(a)
Quote | Reply
Otherwise fit people who get heart attacks often have high levels of lp(a), which is rarely tested for.

https://www.nytimes.com/...ors-lipoprotein.html

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Coronary heart risk: lipoprotein(a) [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, another thing to ask my doc to test for and him giving me a puzzled look. But this makes sense ,and I just had a friend last year who had this, heart attack at 52 and was in the best shape of his life. He could do 40x100's free on the 1;10/;15 base and swim 24 hours straight. Was taking a dump and fell over on the bathroom floor.

I've been in a quandary lately with all this type of testing and genetic testing for %'s of markers that may lead to certain diseases and ailments. Do you really want to know, I think I do so that I can be proactive. But what if you find out about something you can do nothing about, then you just get the worry of it without any recourse. Guess I would still want to know, perhaps it would help you focus your last days better...
Quote Reply
Re: Coronary heart risk: lipoprotein(a) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Great, another thing to ask my doc to test for and him giving me a puzzled look. But this makes sense ,and I just had a friend last year who had this, heart attack at 52 and was in the best shape of his life. He could do 40x100's free on the 1;10/;15 base and swim 24 hours straight. Was taking a dump and fell over on the bathroom floor.

I've been in a quandary lately with all this type of testing and genetic testing for %'s of markers that may lead to certain diseases and ailments. Do you really want to know, I think I do so that I can be proactive. But what if you find out about something you can do nothing about, then you just get the worry of it without any recourse. Guess I would still want to know, perhaps it would help you focus your last days better...

For this particular item, there isn't much you can do if you have high levels. However, this is a marker for clogged arteries, so if you test high for lp(a), you might want to get your arteries checked more thoroughly.

Your friend's example is why I never take a dump alone. :-)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Coronary heart risk: lipoprotein(a) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Sounds a lot like "The KING"
Quote Reply