Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oiling a Treadmill Belt?
Quote | Reply
Bought a used Precor 954i treadmill off Craigslist from a con artist the other day in Webster, NY. He basically resold the treadmill to me for an additional amount over the cost from another fitness center that was selling theirs...I hadn't done my homework...my bad.

Anyhow, part of his fabricated story was how the treadmill came from his fitness/lifting club business and how well he maintained them. He said he regularly oiled the treadmill. When I asked where he put the oil, he said, "under the belt," meaning on top of the deck under the belt. It was silicon oil.

So I searched the treadmill's manuals online for the word "oil" and found nothing.

Anyone ever hear of regularly putting oil on the inside of the belt? Seems like it would slip on the rolls at each end.
Quote Reply
Re: Oiling a Treadmill Belt? [Forward Bias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Standard club fair is to get a strip of wood covered with carpet, soak it with treadmill lubricant and walk from one machine to the next slipping it under the belt and let it run for a few revolutions.
This needs to be done regularly or the belt will destroy itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treadmill Lube is often put on the deck under the belt. Maybe he used the word "oil" instead?

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Oiling a Treadmill Belt? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Standard club fair is to get a strip of wood covered with carpet, soak it with treadmill lubricant and walk from one machine to the next slipping it under the belt and let it run for a few revolutions.

This is genius, but probably overkill for a single treadmill. I just soak a couple paper towels in the treadmill silicone lubricant that I bought, and stick my hand under the belt going north and south. Then I switch to the other side and hit all the spots that I couldn't reach. The belt on mine has just enough slack to allow my hand/wrist to get under it, although I have loosened it in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most consumer-grade TMs need to be lubed regularly, especially you use them a lot, otherwise you're putting more wear n tear on the motor since it becomes harder and harder to move the belt.

I bought a TM silicon lube kit on Amazon that has a long plastic flexible strawlike dispenser that easily goes under the belt all the way to the middle of the deck from either side, so you can lube the whole thing without loosening the belt. I went from way underlubing mine (neglect!) to now doing a light lube every month or even before any 90+ minute run just to keep it moving well. Although to be honest, the only time I ever noticed a difference in use was when I was being totally neglectful, didn't lube it for 2 years, and then in the middle of a 6:00/mi interval set, the TM shut down abruptly likely because it was drawing too much power. After lubing it, never had that problem again.
Quote Reply
Re: Oiling a Treadmill Belt? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

This is genius, but probably overkill for a single treadmill. I just soak a couple paper towels in the treadmill silicone lubricant that I bought, and stick my hand under the belt going north and south. Then I switch to the other side and hit all the spots that I couldn't reach. The belt on mine has just enough slack to allow my hand/wrist to get under it, although I have loosened it in the past.

I have a spray bottle and squirt from both sides then run it at a low speed to make sure I get full coverage (as per the manual).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After the silicon lube that came with it ran out, I've just used wet chain lube under the belt on both sides; I've also used GT85 on occasion! I've also sprayed GT85 around the roller at the bottom end. I've not had any issues. It doesn't get a lot of use, so I just turn-it-over now & again to keep everything 'loose'. Just renewed the extended cover on it (just over 4yrs old); I would say that's essential as even the call-out fee is £90 iirc, so it pays for itself.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look in the Maintenance section of the manual or search on lubrication. Some commercial grade treadmills use paraffin based lubes rather than oil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my True PS100 for a bit over three years, and I've never lubed the belt. I guess I should probably do this!!! Probably somewhere between 3-4k miles on it over that span between my wife and I.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Oiling a Treadmill Belt? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Precor treadmill (not commercial). I was having issues with the belt slipping and had a service tech come out. He lubricated the belt. It didn't solve the issue and I then called Precor. Precor told me the belt was never supposed to be lubricated, lubricants can chemically react with the deck causing friction and that it could void my warranty. I also learned the tech I hired wasn't certified by Precor. Fortunately, they helped me find a certified tech and honored the warranty (new belt and deck). You should look at the manual before attempting to service the machine.
Quote Reply